Titans to sign Bud Dupree

deeluxx3

58 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

It’s crazy how in just a couple of hours at least theoretically we have a pass rush lol 

Overall I’m just glad the Titans did what needed to be done and addressed a huge need 

I hope we’re not content and stay pat regarding our pass rush/front 7 though. If a guy like Kerrigan is affordable or a top edge rusher/DL drops in the draft, we shouldn’t avoid them just because of the Dupree and Aubrey signing.

Based on some reactions you’d think some of yall had to pay his contract.

Bud wasn't my first choice, but I’m not going to pretend I know better than the FO on this one. They had a hole and they went and addressed it in a major way. I’m happy about that. 

I’m glad they’re also not relying purely on a rookie to solve a major team issue again. 

You’re ALWAYS going to overpay in FA when you have a need. If you’re gonna be a day one player in free agency, you gotta overpay. 

the pressure is on to clean up in the draft though... clearly we won’t be able to completely replace Corey or jonnu purely with free agents. I will judge JRob way more on this years draft than FA. Need to find a good mix between talent and guys who can contribute right away. Bad drafting is what puts teams in spots where they have to be big time day one players in free agency. Just look at the patriots.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

I hope we’re not content and stay pat regarding our pass rush/front 7 though. If a guy like Kerrigan is affordable or a top edge rusher/DL drops in the draft, we shouldn’t avoid them just because of the Dupree and Aubrey signing.

Agreed 

Kerrigan or Bowser would be nice 

5 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Agreed 

Kerrigan or Bowser would be nice 

I have not the slightest idea how cap numbers work but are we not coming up on that 180 mark. It feels like we have to be damn near close. If that is the case I would imagine that the next player signed would have to be a wideout, because that is a serious need. I think a lot definitely depends on the details of Duprees contract but I hope we have more room to make noise. I wonder how we fill all these pieces and leave room for rookie contracts.

52 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

I have not the slightest idea how cap numbers work but are we not coming up on that 180 mark. It feels like we have to be damn near close. 

I honestly don't know how we just paid one player 16.5 million a year and only had 16.9 million in cap space.

But yeah, we're probably done with big name additions.  Gotta fill out the roster with the depth guys and leave the space for draft picks.  And still have to sign Firkser and Pruitt too.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I honestly don't know how we just paid one player 16.5 million a year and only had 16.9 million in cap space.

But yeah, we're probably done with big name additions.  Gotta fill out the roster with the depth guys and leave the space for draft picks.  And still have to sign Firkser and Pruitt too.

The cap hit isn’t just the value of the deal divided by the number of years. Just because he’s supposed to make 16.5 mil a year doesn’t mean his cap number is 16.5 mil this season. I guarantee his cap hit year one is minimal and that the bulk of his cap number hits in years where the cap is going back up.

Dupree was towards the top of the OLBs I wanted so pumped we signed him. It is a hefty contract but the guaranteed money is not.

Dupree is instantly the best pass rusher we have and will help Landry out a lot. I am liking the look of our defensive front.

While I have expressed worry about how Dupree will produce away from Pitt, you gotta love the hard working mentality, attitude and physicality he’s going to bring. He plays hard all the time and that will only be a good thing.

I’ve said it a million times but this defense was sooo soft last year. Physical guys like Bud, Autry and Jenkins are going to make a difference over time.