Build The Board - # 4

Texas_OutLaw7

Who is the highest ranking 1st round on the Dallas Cowboys Big Board   

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who is #4?

• No additional 1st round talent remains, move onto round 2.
    • QB - Z. Wilson, BYU
    • QB - J. Fields, Ohio State
    • QB - T. Lance, North Dakota State
    • RB - N. Harris, Alabama
    • RB - T. Etienne, Clemson
    • WR - D. Smith, Alabama
    • WR - J. Chase, LSU
    • WR - J. Waddle, Alabama
    • OL - R. Slater, Northwestern
    • OL - C. Darrisaw, Virginia Tech
    • OL - A. Vera-Tucker, USC
    • DL - C. Barmore, Alabama
    • LB - M. Parsons, Penn State
    • LB - J. Owusu-Koramoah, Notre Dame
    • CB - J. Horn, Soth Carolina
    • CB - P. Surtain, Alabama
    • CB - J. Horn, Soth Carolina
    • S - T Moehring, TCU

Congrats!

Jerry called, he just named you the GM of the Dallas Cowboys and your first task --> Building the Big Board. The scouts have submitted the reports, now it is up to you to build it.

[You are free to build the board as you see fit: Evaluate character; deduce scheme fit; weight need; determine positional value; etc.]

1st Round Big Board:

1. T. Lawrence, Clemson, QB
  2. P. Sewell, Oregon, OL
  3. K. Pitts, Florida, TE

I am really torn here. Is it one of the QBs (the flash one against infiror competition? The one who has only started for one year, or the consistently impressive one?) or is it one of the WRs? (the Heisman Winner, or his better teammate, or the guy who took off a year?) or is it another OL? This is a tough spot.

I will not be ranking the QBs high. Fields is beautiful if he can throw to his first read, but struggles if he has to move beyond that. Wilson has a penchant for the spectacular, but he’s very untested. Lance may have the most impressive traits, but has only played a few games of football, and only in an offense that runs a lot more than it passes.

If you are desperate for a QB, I get why you might be willing to punch your lottery ticket on any of the 3. But you are taking them because you feel like the worst thing you can do is pass on Pat Mahomes, not because you think any of these guys will actually become Pat Mahomes. On a true board, I don’t buy any of them as legit top-10 players, honestly.

Jamar Chase is my pick. Made Justin Jefferson look average. Almost no holes to his game or as a prospect. Absolutely dominant at a young age. Might well wind up in the Hall of Fame if he is lucky enough to land in a stable franchise with a good QB. I hope he pairs back up with Burrow in Cincy. STFO of the NFCE, please.

It was between Smith and Chase for me. Seeing as Chase sat out the year and Smith got the Heisman and hardware. Not to mention being a Saban coached guy, I just think Jerry will have him ranked higher than Chase. Even though Chase is the better prospect 

2 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

It was between Smith and Chase for me. Seeing as Chase sat out the year and Smith got the Heisman and hardware. Not to mention being a Saban coached guy, I just think Jerry will have him ranked higher than Chase. Even though Chase is the better prospect 

I actually have Smith the third raked WR in this draft. Waddle is my #2.

6 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Waddle is small, but he actually weighs more than Smith. Smith is 175 pounds.

Smith has the frame to add some weight being 6'1. Waddle is 5'10. If we are having to argue about height size then you cant go wrong with either or. To me Smith is more dynamic which is why he's #2 for me

4 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I went with Ja'Marr Chase. Honestly, I don't think any of the QBs other than Trevor Lawrence are top 5 picks. They'll go higher because they're QBs, but Chase has HOF talent. The remaining QBs? Not so much.

Exactly what I would have said in my post above if I was capable of brevity, conciseness, and clarity.

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Smith is more dynamic than Waddle?

How?

The playoffs sealed it for me. Taking home the Heisman. Making some NFL talent looking silly along the way. His longer catch radius. Fights through contact and will go up and get it if need be. As of right now Smith is the better receiver. Waddle has the potential to be better. Surtain/Farley?

Idk if it was the injury but Ohio St contained Waddle. 

8 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

The playoffs sealed it for me. Taking home the Heisman. Making some NFL talent looking silly along the way. His longer catch radius. Fights through contact and will go up and get it if need be. As of right now Smith is the better receiver. Waddle has the potential to be better. Surtain/Farley?

Idk if it was the injury but Ohio St contained Waddle. 

If what you meant is that Smith is a better receiver prospect, I can see that. I don’t agree, but there are certainly reasonable differences of opinion on that.

But which one is more “dynamic”? I mean, jeez, if you have actually watched both players, we must have very different definitions for that word. Waddle is the total encapsulation of the term.

And yes, clearly Waddle was hobbled in the national championship game after missing most of the season. If you are making your judgments off of that game alone, you are not giving a fair evaluation of the two players

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz