Patriots sign Hunter Henry; 3 year, $37.5M

pwny

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

if you dont block, are you really a TE? 

NFL: So rookie, what’s your weight?

Player: 240lbs

NFL: Cool. Tight end. 

Player: But I can’t block and get open against corners...

NFL: tight end

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

if you dont block, are you really a TE? 

when he was playing the term H-back got thrown around a lot. However, that isn't an official position in the NFL lexicon (IE franchise tag qualifications). He lined up at TE and in the backfield more than out wide. In that sense, you kinda have to consider him a TE even if he barely blocked. 

Goedert takes advantage of average to below average edge defenders in run blocking suddenyl he is the best blocking tight end overall in the NFL. But then again, blocking doesn't even matter for tight ends apparently so it doesn't matter, but for arguments sake - if we did factor in tight end blocking - then Goedert is the best.

@N4L That is the what I am seeing here. Good luck with that.

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

a good blocker for a te, or a good blocker in general? That's kind of the point I'm making. The best blocking TE is still below average compared to an extra OL, and doesn't really move the needle in the run game. If your team runs well, they were going to run well regardless of who is playing TE.

A good blocker for a TE. We could run or pass better when HH was in the lineup compared to someone like Gates. He helped make us more versatile.

I feel like this is a ton of money for a player with problems staying healthy and likely previously benefitted from solid tk above average quarterback play. You’re going to go from Rivers/Herbert to whoever ends up starting in New England. Henry has flashed but so did Ladarius Green prior to injuries stealing away his career. I kind of fell Henry is a rich mans version. He flashed... but ultimately never put together the top level right end production. I have a hard time seeing him finally do that in New England. He will catch balls and contribute but I don’t see a superstar break out that outplays this deal. 

• Like 1

"Seems like BB is trying to recreate the Gronk/Hernandez 2 TE set"

...sigh. Yes, BB has a known penchant for being stuck in the past and never being the first to try something new or anything

It's more likely this - Smith replaces Harry; roughly same size, but Smith is a proven ACTUAL YAC boss, like Harry was supposed to be. Henry is a good TE for this team finally, since Gronk's first penultimate season.

Edited by Hunter2_1

14 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Very little reason to criticize this move. Having two strong receiving TEs is a strong indication that the Patriots are going QB in the 1st round of the draft, and what better way to be welcomed into the league than having two really good seam options. The signing of Nelson Agholor is the one that most strongly indicates that Cam Newton will be on a short leash (they're not getting their moneys worth on Nelson if Cam is QB) and they have the pieces in place to be a soft landing spot for a rookie. 

Does that mean they will be good? Probably not. I'll still be very surprised if they are better than 3rd in their division this year. That said, they are going to be a tough team to beat each and every week with the variety of looks they can give you. Sounds like they're targeting Chris Carson or Leonard Fournette to add to that power running game now. 

No, but people will of course.

With the moves we've seen so far we are directly addressing the two biggest weaknesses. We've become stronger on the edge and at the POA vs the run - we may not routinely surrender the edge now. And we've massively upgraded Red Zone passing options. Moving the ball wasn't an issue for us, but scoring through the air was. I don't expect to usurp Buffalo, but I'd be disappointed if we weren't in a battle for 2nd.