Patriots sign Hunter Henry; 3 year, $37.5M

pwny

New England’s rolling out big money this week.  

Getting Matt Judon was a good move. He’s a proven player and will deliver for them.  

Feeling like this move will bite them in the rear later on.  Hunter Henry is grossly overrated and hasn’t put up impressive numbers at the TE position by any means.  

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:
2 hours ago, August4th said:

TE group went from worse to best in the NFL

Two of the top 5 in the NFL.

Definitely not, but 2 of the top 15.

1 Kelce
2 Kittle
3 Andrews
4 Waller
5 Hockenson/Goedert
gap
7 Hooper/Gronk
9 Fant/Tonyan
11 Engram/Henry/Smith/Gesicki

You could argue they are both top 10, but neither NE TE has an argument for top 5 over Kelce/Kittle/Andrews/Waller/Hock/Goedert

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 2

Just now, RamblinMan99 said:

New England’s rolling out big money this week.  

Getting Matt Judon was a good move. He’s a proven player and will deliver for them.  

Feeling like this move will bite them in the rear later on.  Hunter Henry is grossly overrated and hasn’t put up impressive numbers at the TE position by any means.  

How come? All of these contracts are insanely easy to get out of. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Loaded is a bit of a stretch. Spent a lot of money on very average WRs, Henry is nice when healthy, and Smith is a fringe Top 10 guy. Its an improvement, but thats not loaded

Maybe this is the Ravens fan in me but two average receivers and two top 10 tight ends, with a good offensive line and stable of running backs is pretty darn set. Not everyone can be the Bucs offence, to have solid players at every level and no major holes (opinion of QB notwithstanding but I’m talking outside of quarterback) is quite good IMO.

if they get a QB or Cam tightens it up, it will be a substantially better set of weapons than Brady had to work with the last few years in NE 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Ya I have seen your good stuff!!!! 

100mil for a WR to a team that's built to RUN THE BALL. You need a guy to stretch the field, I would get Nelson Agholor  Oh wait they did for milions less !!! GMAFB. Any team that spend money on a high price WR is a fool !!!! Give a diva a 100m, ya that will work out. Matter of fact i can't recall any high price WR FA that change the fortunes of the team they signed with.

ok you have a point, but you guys have historically not been good at drafting a WR

Golladay is good down the field and he is big and can catch in traffic, i think he would have been a great fit rather than Agholor who has had 1 decent season and Bourne who honestly i dont think is that big of an upgrade over Byrd & Meyers

if the Pats hit on a QB then everything will look great, but honestly if they hit on a QB it would look just as great if you got the 1 WR

a good QB makes everything look good, look at what Herbert did with LAs offense

8 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Are either of those TE's good at blocking?

Jonnu Smith, despite profiling as an athletic receiving TE, has always been a better blocker than receiver.

Henry is obviously mainly a receiving TE, but chips in as well.

They bread and the butter will be how much they help in the red area.

Patriots had no semblance of a RZ target last season. It's the reason Cam's passing line came out as quirky as it did (8 TDs, 10 INTs) - but was essentially 20 TDs, 10 INTs overall, given the fact they had to pound him in with the hysterical lack of offensive skill players they put out there.

Cam's most favorite target ever was Greg Olsen - both Jonnu/Hunter profile as very similar players. This is a great formula for the offense that was already assembled with Cam and that offensive line. It's not the spread out, air it out dynamic offenses most teams are running now, but I doubt that's the vision Bill and McDaniels has.

I'm not a fan of 2TE offenses but I think they're building a fine team with that vision in mind and given where Cam is at this stage in his career. McDaniels is one of the best in the league at creating an offense from scratch and using his personnel to their strengths so it's going to be an interesting to see what they come up with.

I don't know how to feel about this long-term, but as a fan I'm worried about the next season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TJM217 said:

Actually I think it's the opposite. Controversial opinion here but Jonnu is an over rated receiver. He's actually a good blocker tho. Henry is way better on the move.

Jonnu is more of a two-way player than Hernandez ever was, but that doesn't mean he doesn't fit the same role (double negative FTW). Jonnu's best skillset is his open-field speed / catch-and-run abilities, and that's exactly what you want from your Move TE. 

Very little reason to criticize this move. Having two strong receiving TEs is a strong indication that the Patriots are going QB in the 1st round of the draft, and what better way to be welcomed into the league than having two really good seam options. The signing of Nelson Agholor is the one that most strongly indicates that Cam Newton will be on a short leash (they're not getting their moneys worth on Nelson if Cam is QB) and they have the pieces in place to be a soft landing spot for a rookie. 

Does that mean they will be good? Probably not. I'll still be very surprised if they are better than 3rd in their division this year. That said, they are going to be a tough team to beat each and every week with the variety of looks they can give you. Sounds like they're targeting Chris Carson or Leonard Fournette to add to that power running game now. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

neither NE TE has an argument for top 5 over Kelce/Kittle/Andrews/Waller/Hock/Goedert

Sure they do. Since Smith blocks better than any of then not named Kittle and is athletic as any of them not named Waller. Henry is as good a receiver or better than Andrews/Hock/Godert.

11 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

ok you have a point, but you guys have historically not been good at drafting a WR

Golladay is good down the field and he is big and can catch in traffic, i think he would have been a great fit rather than Agholor who has had 1 decent season and Bourne who honestly i dont think is that big of an upgrade over Byrd & Meyers

if the Pats hit on a QB then everything will look great, but honestly if they hit on a QB it would look just as great if you got the 1 WR

a good QB makes everything look good, look at what Herbert did with LAs offense

I look at it different than you do. I look at the WR unit as a whole , not the individuals NA and Golladay do the same thing for the unit that's all i care about. production is secondary. NA as part of his  WR job is to just to clear out the underneath stuff. it's the threat that is valuable to the offensive scheme.   Now if there's no cap I'm going after Golladay but that not the case. I look at WR as ornaments your need the trees or there useless. 

Here an example. That's if your old enough to (2001/2) remember.😁  David Pattern = NA, Dion Branch = Jason Borne and Meyers = David Givens they all make up the WR Unit.

You make a a great point they do need a QB and I'm pretty sure they are going after one in this draft. They pretty much can trade all their draft choices after all the signings. Only need is a future (SD)CB.