Why has the AFC South only produced two AFC Super Bowl representatives in the past 15 years?

Championshiporbust

I really don't know anyone who would rank the Colts up there with the franchises listed above. The pre-Belichick Pats still weren't that far behind Indy historically.

When it comes to the AFC, the Pats skew things quite a bit. They're a massive outlier. But the AFC South has pretty much been soft. An occasional up year from some team. Jacksonville tried to build a defense, but never really accomplished it. Tennessee fell off right around years ago and never really rebounded outside one year. The Texans sucked until the last few years, and haven't found a QB. I mean, this isn't some deep question. They haven't been very good. And tough defenses tend to matter more than the things the media talks up. The AFCS just hasn't produced those.

3 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I really don't know anyone who would rank the Colts up there with the franchises listed above. The pre-Belichick Pats still weren't that far behind Indy historically.

When it comes to the AFC, the Pats skew things quite a bit. They're a massive outlier. But the AFC South has pretty much been soft. An occasional up year from some team. Jacksonville tried to build a defense, but never really accomplished it. Tennessee fell off right around years ago and never really rebounded outside one year. The Texans sucked until the last few years, and haven't found a QB. I mean, this isn't some deep question. They haven't been very good. And tough defenses tend to matter more than the things the media talks up. The AFCS just hasn't produced those.

this years Jags Defense is actaully Dominant.  sure we struggle with the run a bit because our team tends to play aggressive and fast leading to backside runs but this teams Pass rush is Special.  this Defense has Twice Put up 10 Sacks.  the jags as a team Steam rolled a colts team and we didnt have our 2 Star Skill guys(Fournette and Allen Robinson playing and then we lost our 2 Best Linemen(Cam Robinson got injured like 2 plays in and Linders been out the last 3 games with a "Illness" ) and still put the 3rd most yards in Franchise History. If Bortles can play like he did today and take care of the ball(he only 2-3 bad plays all game(1 was a fumble) but the other 2 were Possible Ints that were dropped or broken up by the WR. 

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Certainly impressive, but those two 10 sack games were against Houston and Indi's OLines :o 

Of course they got them against lower end units, that’s how things go. But I don’t see anyone else that’s gotten 10 sacks against either unit. Pretty sure nobody has gotten 10 sacks against anyone.

And no team since the 1984 Bears has gotten 10 sacks twice in a season.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Certainly impressive, but those two 10 sack games were against Houston and Indi's OLines :o 

I mean, do you really expect video game numbers like that against good OL's? Its already a rare feat as is.

On 22/10/2017 at 3:31 AM, 7DnBrnc53 said:

The AFC South isn't great, but the AFC East hasn't sent a non-Patriot rep to the SB since 1993 (Bills). Also, if it wasn't for Indy's charity in 2009 and 10, the 98 Jets would be the last non-Patriot AFC East team to make the AFC Title Game. 

And if not for the other 30+ teams, in various configurations and for various reasons, the Patriots would have won every superbowl for the last 40 years.

....it's easy to make up rules that change reality.

17 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

And if not for the other 30+ teams, in various configurations and for various reasons, the Patriots would have won every superbowl for the last 40 years.

....it's easy to make up rules that change reality.

Ooohhhkaayyyy. Thanks for sharing. 

Archived