Ravens re-sign OLB Tyus Bowser (4 years, $22M, $12M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

^^^What's the context on that gif, it's hilarious. 

Legendary series against LeBron James, Rivers was given one of the weakest technical fouls in NBA history, when he said, “Come on Eddie” (Ed Malloy was the ref working the game). Rivers classically responds to said tech, with essentially the above gif... and it’s been internet gold ever since.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Legendary series against LeBron James, Rivers was given one of the weakest technical fouls in NBA history, when he said, “Come on Eddie” (Ed Malloy was the ref working the game). Rivers classically responds to said tech, with essentially the above gif... and it’s been internet gold ever since.

lol That's crazy. I've heard John Harbaugh in particular say "Come on Tim, Steve, Ron, etc" in a lot of his 'wired' exchanges with refs. Good things the NBA and NFL penalize differently cause that's nuts. Funny a** meme though 😆.

In terms of signing Bowser I think this is a fantastic deal for a young ascending player. It was clear that he was coming into his own this past season. He’s had impact as a pass rusher in the past and his pass coverage has been special. I don’t believe Bowser was so far behind the level of impact as a pass rusher on a per snap basis as Judon. From a technical perspective, Judon was clearly superior and possessed far more football savvy on the field, but some of that can be learned through experience. So I’d expect Bowser with additional playing time and cache to advance in those departments. While Judon was certainly the superior player, he’s also going to be 29 this year, while Bowser will be 25; what’s more Judon will cost nearly 3x the amount. From a cost per impact standpoint, even if the difference was only a 2x difference, Bowser was EASILY the superior value.

With Ngakoue he was worth it as a pass rusher as he could defeat legitimate blockers, he offered nothing else that we like out of our edge options, such as setting the edge, and/or pass coverage. He was too much of a liability within our scheme for him to truly be worth 2x the amount of Bowser.

Edge has a need worthy of the 1st two rounds of the draft, same with WR; I don’t find there to be much debate on that. Those are our two biggest needs at this point. Next up would be Center and FS IMO. We can get by with what we have at those spots, but an upgrade would be more than just appealing.

Resigning Bowser assures that we’re not totally desperate for an edge though and won’t have to double dip, if it doesn’t benefit us to do so. Signing him however gives us some options. We could double dip at edge with someone early and within the mid rounds (as we’ve done with TE, WR, and ILB the last three drafts) OR we could simply go with one addition early. If we add another talented veteran than we’re in a luxury position.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Next up would be Center and FS IMO. We can get by with what we have at those spots, but an upgrade would be more than just appealing.

Malik Hooker is still hanging around out there, he'd be an interesting addition at FS. Now Rodney Hudson just got released too. Some interesting remedies remain in the FA pool.

It's a deep center class for the first time in a while too, so we could pay Hudson and draft like a Quinn Meinerz or something to develop behind him.

4 minutes ago, drd23 said:

That's a good price to re-sign Bowser at, but I still maintain it'll be a mistake if we don't adequately replace the pass rush Judon/Ngakoue

Agreed. I’m thinking someone like Joseph Ossai would be a perfect addition for what we need at edge. I’m thinking with the line more solidified, edge becomes a higher draft need.

According to SIS: Bowser had 32 pressures in 2020, Judon had 39, Ngakoue had 31, McPhee had 28, Jihad Ward had 12, and Jaylon Ferguson had 14.

Of the 6, Tyus, Pernell, and Jaylon are coming back. So that leaves 82 pressures as the figure leaving us. To give an idea of what we're looking to replace. Should be noted too that our outside pass rush wasn't even considered Top 10 last year either, with those pieces still in house. 

I'm expecting some Vet FA pickups and at least 1 early round addition at EDGE. 

• Like 1

With Marlon & Tyus now both extended, our 1st and 2nd Round Picks from 2017, I'd like to revisit their best college highlight videos too.

These videos are goated for me as far as highlights go. I loved watching them back in the leadup to and after the 2017 Draft. The energetic pacing paired with "All The Way Up" really captured Marlon's high energy play and demeanor on the football field. And that Tyus Bowser "2 Phones" highlight is essentially a perfect work. 

If you want to actually scout players these kind of videos are pretty useless, but if you want to quickly hype or sell a player- highlights are still a very valuable commodity. It's hilarious too that in Bowser's highlight you have him not only getting a strip sack on Baker Mayfield after beating Orlando Brown Jr. but also getting a safety on Lamar Jackson. He was meant to play in the AFCN I guess.

Only Humphrey, Bowser, and Clark escaped the shadow realm from our 2017 class and all are starters now. Congrats to our young Ravens, keep ascending and help us get Ring #3!

• Like 1