MLB The Show 21

BayRaider

3 hours ago, Scalamania said:

Sony does have their own subscription service and it sucks. 

I haven't bought a game in almost a year thanks to GamePass/EA Play. It's the best thing going on consoles right now, IMO. 

How much is Game Pass every month? I'm not a fan of subscription based services in general, but Game Pass is great. With that said, I wouldn't consistently pay for it every month. I've had Game Pass Ultimate for like 2 years and paid $1 total. I wouldn't pay $15 a month (or whatever the price for Ultimate is), but that's just me.

Just now, showtime said:

How much is Game Pass every month? I'm not a fan of subscription based services in general, but Game Pass is great. With that said, I wouldn't consistently pay for it every month. I've had Game Pass Ultimate for like 2 years and paid $1 total. I wouldn't pay $15 a month (or whatever the price for Ultimate is), but that's just me.

Black Friday, Ultimate Gamepass is 50% off basically every single time, just stock up 2 years worth. That’s what I did. 

As far as MLB The Show goes, I'm so glad the game is on Xbox. I always kind of felt like it was more of a "niche" game when it was on Playstation. It's a major sports title, but it isn't anywhere near as played or as popular as Madden, FIFA, or NBA 2K. Now that it's on Xbox, I feel like the game will start to make more of a push to be in that light. Obviously the fact that it's on Game Pass will be huge because between Game Pass and people who will straight up buy the game on Xbox, I can't even imagine how many new players will play.

Then, the new consoles are kind of dry in terms of new games, so I think more Playstation owners will buy the game than ever before - as in, people who might normally pass on The Show might buy it this year.

Overall, the game being cross play is also huge. First major sports title with cross play. Maybe once people see how good Diamond Dynasty is, they start to step further away from games like Madden and 2K, which are lower quality and more predatory.

23 minutes ago, showtime said:

$10 for regular / $15 for Ultimate

$120 annual / $180 annual

I think Gamepass/Ultimate is finally getting to the point where it’s worth the full price. Especially over the course of this year for me personally I would’ve paid full price for Halo and Starfield. So that’s 2/3 of the cost of ultimate for a year or the full value of regular. So all the the only her stuff just needs to hit a $60 value for ultimate and it kinda already has to me for games I’d have interest in but not blindly buy probably. And gold is included in that for Ultimate so it’s kinda all bonus anyway.

I don’t personally get the “I want to own my games” mindset. Because why not just see if you like the game and then you can buy it to make sure you have it forever? Like all the Gamepass games you can buy at a discount or you could wait and get them on a sale to add to your permanent collection. With the Bethesda acquisition they’ll have at least 2 or more games that will be on the service and never leave so it’s not like you’re losing that value over time really. 

21 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I don’t personally get the “I want to own my games” mindset. Because why not just see if you like the game and then you can buy it to make sure you have it forever? Like all the Gamepass games you can buy at a discount or you could wait and get them on a sale to add to your permanent collection. With the Bethesda acquisition they’ll have at least 2 or more games that will be on the service and never leave so it’s not like you’re losing that value over time really. 

Because I don't play a ton of games. Like for example, if you look at the games coming out this year: Horizon Zero Dawn Forbidden West, I'm buying that. Halo Infinite, I'm buying that. I can't think of any other games, but that's just me.

It's the same thing with Netflix. I don't want to watch like 99% of the stuff there. I got a one month subscription to Netflix to watch the Marvel movies they had and the Marvel TV shows (Daredevil, Punisher, etc) then I canceled the service and have never used it again.

Disney+, once Falcon and Winter Solider comes out in its entirety. I'll grab a one month subscription to watch WandaVision and Falcon and Winter Solider in it's entirety and then cancel the sub because I don't want to watch anything else there. 

33 minutes ago, showtime said:

Because I don't play a ton of games. Like for example, if you look at the games coming out this year: Horizon Zero Dawn Forbidden West, I'm buying that. Halo Infinite, I'm buying that. I can't think of any other games, but that's just me.

It's the same thing with Netflix. I don't want to watch like 99% of the stuff there. I got a one month subscription to Netflix to watch the Marvel movies they had and the Marvel TV shows (Daredevil, Punisher, etc) then I canceled the service and have never used it again.

Disney+, once Falcon and Winter Solider comes out in its entirety. I'll grab a one month subscription to watch WandaVision and Falcon and Winter Solider in it's entirety and then cancel the sub because I don't want to watch anything else there. 

Fair enough, yeah if you’re only going to play those two this fall and have zero interest in anything else from now til next April it’s not really worth it unless you get it at like half off and even then it’d be more than just the game on its own. Everyone games differently. 

Like I said for me it’s already going to be a value from now until next spring. Halo and Starfield full price + Gold + EA Play from Ultimate (I like to casually play the sports games but refuse to buy them at full price) + EA play discount for Mass Effect LE + a bunch of games I would’ve bought on sale. There’s people that play way more than me and people that play less than you (the silent Madden/COD club).

Id probably do somewhat the same with those services had I not come up with a way to split them amongst people. On my Parent’s Netflix and HBO Max, Cousin pays for Disney+, We pay for Hulu and Spotify family plan that I have my sisters on (they contribute nothing as always haha). No way in hell I’d pay for all those on their own, a lot of them don’t do enough to keep you month to month. Back to Gamepass that’s starting to feel like every month there is something worth the $10-$15 bucks, to me anyway. Like I’d buy The Show for $15, would’ve bought those Bethesda titles last month for that much. Plus there’s stuff like this game Empire of Sin (Xcom-esque Gánster game) on there that I didn’t even know about that I would now buy on sale.

Well, we'll see where Game Pass goes this fall. They have all the sports games on there, but all of them are really late (outside of The Show). If they can manage to have Madden 22, FIFA 22, and NBA 2K22 on Game Pass at launch (and keep the games there all year) then the subscription would be worth it to me. Because stuff like NBA 2K, I need that at launch. The game is dead by March/April.

Got the game last night. Spent most of my time ripping packs and doing collections. A lot of changes is Diamond Dynasty. One of the bigger ones is you don’t need to go 12-0 to get the flawless rewards and pretty much everyone can get the World Series rewards now as well. Really rare cards before will now be had by just about anyone 

• Like 1

This game is so refreshing vs Madden and 2K. I've already spent more time in Diamond Dynasty the past day and a half than I have in all my years of Madden's Ultimate Team and 2K's MyTeam game modes combined. The game play is a lot of fun and the game looks and run great.

Granted, I'm not someone who plays The Show every year, so I don't have the issues with the game that some vets would have, but I love it.

• Like 1

Diamond Dynasty is easily the best ultimate team mode out of 2k, madden, NHL and Fifa.

It caters to both the grinders who dont want to put any money into the game and the money spenders who want to spend. 

Always a fun mode and if its anything like last year the content will be there all year with new programs and events which are great ways to grind for really good cards. I just would really advise opening packs its really a waste. Just buy the stubs and buy the guy you want.