Leonard Williams signed to 3 year contract

Go_Giants

4 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Finally, hopefully this gives us a little flexibility. Paid him more than he’s worth, but we have a bad GM.

It is at least a short term contract, we can probably get out of the contract after two years if we want.

1 minute ago, ny92mike said:

Exactly...I could understand 5 but 3 it's like Dave is scared to sign anyone past 2023.

Reese did that with Vernon, Snacks and Jenkins. In the end it did not worked out and it tied up cap space. We have potential big contracts with Saquon and DJ. Short term deals gives us cap flexibility.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Exactly...I could understand 5 but 3 it's like Dave is scared to sign anyone past 2023.

It’s a Do if you do, do if you don’t scenario. I don’t really have an issue with it. It could be Williams wanted a short deal to hit another contract @ 30. 

1 minute ago, Go_Giants said:

Reese did that with Vernon, Snacks and Jenkins. In the end it did not worked out and it tied up cap space. We have potential big contracts with Saquon and DJ. Short term deals gives us cap flexibility.

Snacks and Jenkins were solid players.  I'd say those guys worked out pretty well.  I think signing Williams to a 3 year deal was bad.  Even if the Giants end up keeping Barkley and DJ, the team has the future cap to sign these guys along with several others long term.

2 minutes ago, Acgott said:

It’s a Do if you do, do if you don’t scenario. I don’t really have an issue with it. It could be Williams wanted a short deal to hit another contract @ 30. 

Perhaps, I wouldn't think so with as much talk about a long term deal getting done.  You'd think he'd be looking for a 5 year deal.  Just not a fan of how Dave conducts business, not that what he did here is wrong I just would have extended it out longer especially with no one under contract beyond '23.  Perhaps covid is playing a role with some of these contracts.  At the end of the day, I'm glad we at least got him for 3 years, now I'm waiting for the bomb to drop and we hear that he's been traded...lol.  

23 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Gettleman overpaid, but at least it's not a long commitment and it gives us room to breathe. 

We'll see whether Leo really is that good or was just playing for the contract.

He's that good. He didn't really improve much last year, believe it or not. He was in a better system and worked hard to translate pressures into sacks. It paid off.