2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

7 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

nah, I think people overrate him because of all the deflections and steals, I didn't think he was that great of an on-ball defender the whole year.

Nah, people may be discrediting him for his porous performances in the playoffs, but he was a great defender all regular season.

#2 in DWS for players who played at least 50 games, behind only Rudy Gobert.

#6 in defensive rating for players who played at least 50 games.

And was constantly tasked with guarding the opposing teams best wing on a nightly basis. Dude absolutely deserved first team.

4 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Nah, people may be discrediting him for his porous performances in the playoffs, but he was a great defender all regular season.

I was asking all year if he was a good on-ball defender cause he never seemed it to me and it came thru in the playoffs (I watched more 76ers games than any team this year). I really think people have a hard time gauging on-ball defense. Just judging through the draft prospects but guys like Lonzo, Simmons, Lauri, etc were all bashed for whatever reasons and it was obvious they were much better than given credit for. I think the opposite is true for PG13 this year and especially Rob Cov.

14 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I was asking all year if he was a good on-ball defender cause he never seemed it to me and it came thru in the playoffs (I watched more 76ers games than any team this year). I really think people have a hard time gauging on-ball defense. Just judging through the draft prospects but guys like Lonzo, Simmons, Lauri, etc were all bashed for whatever reasons and it was obvious they were much better than given credit for. I think the opposite is true for PG13 this year and especially Rob Cov.

I tend to agree with your overall statement that people have a hard time gauging on ball defense, but one that's not necessarily all that goes into all NBA voting, and two Covington wasn't a terrible defender in the playoffs so much as he was a net negative because of his offense. Ben Simmons being absolutely atrocious against Boston and getting lost on switches forced Covington to have to do way too much defensively. I don't think that's a fair barometer for his actual defensive prowess, when he showed for an 82 game season that he is a great defender when his teammates aren't letting him down and bailing out the opposing team.

1 minute ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I tend to agree with your overall statement that people have a hard time gauging on ball defense, but one that's not necessarily all that goes into all NBA voting, and two Covington wasn't a terrible defender in the playoffs so much as he was a net negative because of his offense. Ben Simmons being absolutely atrocious against Boston and getting lost on switches forced Covington to have to do way too much defensively. I don't think that's a fair barometer for his actual defensive prowess, when he showed for an 82 game season that he is a great defender when his teammates aren't letting him down and bailing out the opposing team.

Tatum absolutely roasted him 1v1, Simmons also did suck vs. BOS tho.

And Draymond is a better off-ball defender than Covington too, where Covington excels, because of his rim protection.

Just now, 11sanchez11 said:

Tatum absolutely roasted him 1v1, Simmons also did suck vs. BOS tho.

And Draymond is a better off-ball defender than Covington too, where Covington excels, because of his rim protection.

Cov is better off the ball than Draymond, and it's not because of his rim protection. It's because he has some of the fastest hands in the league and is the best in the league at deflecting passes and stripping guys when he's off ball.

On 5/16/2018 at 11:55 PM, KhanYouDigIt said:

The last time the Magic had cap space they gave Biyombo $70M, DJ Augustin almost $30M and $15M to Jeff Green.

People don’t understand what myself, dtait and jfin have to go through. It’s bad. 

During this time, the most important thing is we have each other. 

Bad franchises stay bad.  As bad as what the Sixers did is for the NBA, it's what most teams should try and do.  Get as bad you can, sell your cap space for future assets, and hope you get some ping pong ball luck.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Bad franchises stay bad.  As bad as what the Sixers did is for the NBA, it's what most teams should try and do.  Get as bad you can, sell your cap space for future assets, and hope you get some ping pong ball luck.

90% of yall mocked/ridiculed what PHI was doing 

Archived