Jump to content

What are the greatest free agent signings in history?


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Seriously though I'd go Troy Vincent or Jon Runyan who played there 9 years starting every game.

They may be better players overall but I genuinely believe we don't get the Lombardi without Jenkins. There was a huge leadership void on defense when B-Dawk left. Jenkins is no Dawkins, but he became the QB of the defense and was ridiculously durable and reliable. Even back when Chip was going 3 and out at a record pace and the defense had to be on the field for like 75% of the game, I swear the guy never left the field.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

The Buccaneers landing Simeon Rice was also a huge signing. Helped that already stacked defense, and he went on to have 5 straight seasons of double-digit sacks. 

Simeon Rice is on the list of all time great underrated players. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

They may be better players overall but I genuinely believe we don't get the Lombardi without Jenkins. There was a huge leadership void on defense when B-Dawk left. Jenkins is no Dawkins, but he became the QB of the defense and was ridiculously durable and reliable. Even back when Chip was going 3 and out at a record pace and the defense had to be on the field for like 75% of the game, I swear the guy never left the field.

Interesting. For some reason when I think of Jenkins, I think of his first stint as a New Orlean Saint, and completely flying off Vernon Davis on a tackle attempt which resulted in a long 49ers touchdown in the 2011 NFC divisional round. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that most of the top choices resulted in exactly 1 super bowl victory for the franchise the player went to.  Brees, White, Brady, Sanders, Sharpe, S. Rice, P. Manning, C Woodson, R Woodson...I think I'll stop there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Starless said:

Brees is #1 clearly.

 

But I have to ask: If Brady wins another championship with the Bucs, does he then surpass Brees?

Yup. 57 year old QB leaves in free agency to a down on its luck franchise and immediately wins a Super Bowl 1st year amidst a Covid-19 offseason and three road playoff games against an offensive powerhouse defending champion 1st seed winning the 1st home Super Bowl ever and then next year wins again?

Reading all that, it already might not be an if.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot the 49ers very own Tim McDonald who left the Cardinals after the 1992 season. He played from 1993 to 1999 starting every game except one. Made 3 Pro Bowls during his time there, and was just a great presence on the backend along with Merton Hanks. I guess the same could be said of Ken Norton who also played with the 49ers from 1994 to 2000 not missing a single start. Was a first team All Pro in 1995. Damn I miss some of the swagger of the OGs. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Let's not sleep on Priest Holmes - nice depth RB goes to KC and morphs into a player who has a HoF argument. 

They got him for an average deal too at the time I think. Got a huge return on that investment. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2021 at 9:19 PM, Starless said:

Brees is #1 clearly.

 

But I have to ask: If Brady wins another championship with the Bucs, does he then surpass Brees?

Brees was a 15-year, HOF starter for the Saints.  I guess I can maybe see the argument if Brady wins another Super Bowl but Brees longevity alone with the Saints would put him over Brady (as a FA signing) without question for me.  Unless Brady ends up playing 4-5 more years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Brees was a 15-year, HOF starter for the Saints.  I guess I can maybe see the argument if Brady wins another Super Bowl but Brees longevity alone with the Saints would put him over Brady (as a FA signing) without question for me.  Unless Brady ends up playing 4-5 more years.

So you’re changing your answer to TB12 then? 
 

Brady isn’t just going for Brees’ career yardage record.   He’s going for George Blanda’s record of playing until age 48 lol. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...