Titans release CB Adoree Jackson & RT Dennis Kelly

ttitansfan4life

3 minutes ago, MdTitansFan56 said:

Basically they're going with the players didn't execute and it's on them. I honestly have no idea what is going on. But hey can't be as bad as last year right? 

Idk, this feels like how you lose a team. Blaming the players and not holding the coaches accountable. We start out rough next year and I think it’s a wrap for Vrabel and JRob .

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Oh, it can be worse.

Statistically maybe in certain areas, but I don't feel like it could.
We stopped pretty much nobody all season. I barely remember any stops and when we did, felt more like offensive errors opposed to defensive wins. 

I'm still just trying to figure out cutting Kelly.

We lose Jonnu and Davis and decide "hey, our offense hasn't declined enough from that alone, lets cut a solid right tackle too!"

I don't understand how the plan this year wasn't to try and keep the offense as together as possible and revamp the defense. We've probably got 2-3 years of really good Tannehill play left, probably about the same from Henry, and our o-line is probably on a 2-3 year shelf life as well given it's all around age.

Instead we're just blowing everything up..

2 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Idk, this feels like how you lose a team. Blaming the players and not holding the coaches accountable. We start out rough next year and I think it’s a wrap for Vrabel and JRob .

The only way I see either one being fired is if we are out of the playoffs early, our defense is just as bad as last year and our offense is bottom half of the league.

But honestly we have two "new" coordinators and pretty much a full rebuild on defense so I don't see a firing at all as long as we're competitive.    

4 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I'm still just trying to figure out cutting Kelly.

We lose Jonnu and Davis and decide "hey, our offense hasn't declined enough from that alone, lets cut a solid right tackle too!"

I don't understand how the plan this year wasn't to try and keep the offense as together as possible and revamp the defense. We've probably got 2-3 years of really good Tannehill play left, probably about the same from Henry, and our o-line is probably on a 2-3 year shelf life as well given it's all around age.

Instead we're just blowing everything up..

It’s just tough to not already be looking at 2021 as a waste year. Which is particularly tough given the maybe three year offensive window we have. The Tannehill/Henry/Brown trio probably keeps as playoff contenders, but I just can’t see a path to putting together a title contender this year. Maybe it exists, maybe there’s an overarching plan that I can’t see, but it’s really tough to be excited at this point. 

4 minutes ago, lovetitans said:

The only way I see either one being fired is if we are out of the playoffs early, our defense is just as bad as last year and our offense is bottom half of the league.

But honestly we have two "new" coordinators and pretty much a full rebuild on defense so I don't see a firing at all as long as we're competitive.    

it's unlikely either would be shown the door next season. but if things fall apart next season, and it's sure not looking great right now, then we'll just get dragged into another cycle of mediocrity and floundering that will end in their dismissal a couple years down the line.

To me we were not a team last year that was even close to being able to win a super bowl. I do not think just adding a player here and there even if it was someone big was going to put us over the top. This team needs to restructure what it looks like if we want to make a run at a super bowl.

It may not be what everyone wants to see, but it may be what the team needs. If we want to be a team that competes down the stretch and even has a chance against a team like KC we have to retool that trash defense that we had last year. We have to make bold moves, and to me this is the start of that.

I do not think Vrabel is going to lose the locker room because he cut Butler, Vaccaro, Jackson, who wasn’t on the field, and Kelly. None of these guys are irreplaceable. Heck you could cut 80 percent of that d if I care, they sucked. The players know that.

We lost Lewan after 5 games last year and had countless injuries to the O line and still Henry went on to cash in 2k. We will be ok without Kelly. They are clearly putting all the stock in to revamp this d, and it is coming at the cost of some of the O. Henry Tanne Lewan and Brown will be back, we know that. That’s our engine and as long as we have that we can build around them.

The d NEEDED to change and it looks like they recognized that. Here’s to bringing in some head knockers on d to change this dynamic.

Edited by twotonebluenation
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

I'd still argue that those guys aren't irreplaceable either, but things are getting a little strange. We were in cap trouble, though, right?

Only because we haven’t restructured or done literally anything else the rest of the league has done.

Just now, KingTitan said:

True.
But I think it's clear. They simply didn't want those guys anymore. 

Yeah, this has to be true as well. Now, I do trust Robinson to get good value at least in the OL for cheap. He got us Kelly, a former swing T himself. I have no idea, personally, who Kendall Lamm is, but this is shaping out to look like they saw in him a good enough replacement, unless they get someone else in the Draft (and I personally thought it a solid chance that we could end up getting one of the Ts in the 1st even before Kelly got cut). If Lamm ends up starting, I trust that Robinson has enough confidence he can hold down that spot, and I do have faith in his vision.

As for Adoree... I'm one of those people that never really saw it with him from the beginning. I thought he was a reach and honestly would have gave him a very low shot of actually developing into a legit starting CB. That being said, I do believe he was starting to develop. Big chance that he was going to walk next year, anyway. so, again, I'm not too torn up about it.

Also, I think this means they do like Fulton plenty. Truth be told, I was really high on him coming into the Draft. I've mentioned before that for most of the season, I haven't been able to keep up completely with what was going on so I don't have a good enough impression of how he looked when he was on the field. But as a prospect, I liked him a lot. I saw in him a very similar type of high-value pick to the Brown pick the year before. If I'm to go with my initial feeling, I trust that he will not only develop into a nice starter, but rather a borderline shutdown corner. And I also am a big JJ fan. I've also said this before, but I'm a half-Giants fan as well, and he was legit for pretty much his whole period there. His bad games aren't exactly as bad as they might've looked on paper. He has ball skills, as well, and is normally very, very solid in setting the edge and playing the run.

So, in the end, yes, we didn't restructure anybody. But we've replaced two starters with two cheaper alternatives. We don't know exactly what's JJ's number, but I would believe it's lower than the 10M+ cap hit that Adoree had this year. And yes, he is 32, but there was very little reason to believe that Adoree was going to be a long-term option for us in the first place. And finally, I think we would go after at least a CB in the Draft, and I wouldn't rule out one in the 1st, either. I've said it before that if we can get Horn, I'd be all over him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

Yeah, this has to be true as well. Now, I do trust Robinson to get good value at least in the OL for cheap. He got us Kelly, a former swing T himself. I have no idea, personally, who Kendall Lamm is, but this is shaping out to look like they saw in him a good enough replacement, unless they get someone else in the Draft (and I personally thought it a solid chance that we could end up getting one of the Ts in the 1st even before Kelly got cut). If Lamm ends up starting, I trust that Robinson has enough confidence he can hold down that spot, and I do have faith in his vision.

As for Adoree... I'm one of those people that never really saw it with him from the beginning. I thought he was a reach and honestly would have gave him a very low shot of actually developing into a legit starting CB. That being said, I do believe he was starting to develop. Big chance that he was going to walk next year, anyway. so, again, I'm not too torn up about it.

Also, I think this means they do like Fulton plenty. Truth be told, I was really high on him coming into the Draft. I've mentioned before that for most of the season, I haven't been able to keep up completely with what was going on so I don't have a good enough impression of how he looked when he was on the field. But as a prospect, I liked him a lot. I saw in him a very similar type of high-value pick to the Brown pick the year before. If I'm to go with my initial feeling, I trust that he will not only develop into a nice starter, but rather a borderline shutdown corner. And I also am a big JJ fan. I've also said this before, but I'm a half-Giants fan as well, and he was legit for pretty much his whole period there. His bad games aren't exactly as bad as they might've looked on paper. He has ball skills, as well, and is normally very, very solid in setting the edge and playing the run.

So, in the end, yes, we didn't restructure anybody. But we've replaced two starters with two cheaper alternatives. We don't know exactly what's JJ's number, but I would believe it's lower than the 10M+ cap hit that Adoree had this year. And yes, he is 32, but there was very little reason to believe that Adoree was going to be a long-term option for us in the first place. And finally, I think we would go after at least a CB in the Draft, and I wouldn't rule out one in the 1st, either. I've said it before that if we can get Horn, I'd be all over him.

And every player they let walk at some point was criticized heavily on this very forum. 

Butler getting burned repeatedly.
DaQuan offering nothing in the pass rush.
Adoree being inconsistent.
Vaccaro getting slow.
Corey disappearing in games, struggling to get separation at times.
Jonnu for also disappearing and not being the best blocker early.

And so on.  
Yes their release creates a hole, that they are filling.  People may not like them because they not "our guys" but they are replacements.
If we held onto some of those other guys, then there wouldn't be a many signings at all. 

Restructure guys, extend them or whatever. Yes that could have created some space. Maybe they didn't want to because like I said, they just didn't want them anymore or the player felt they could get more or better elsewhere. No reasoning will be good for most, because of what is seen by other teams.  Who I'll say are restructuring to keep mainly there guys.  Outside of a few moves.

I personally don't mind the deconstruction of the defense. Never have I felt so hopeless watching our defense play. 

Ah well. Just my opinion. 

Can poke holes at any signing in FA. All of them have flaws. Too old, injuries, inconsistent play..etc. 
If they become a Titan they got my support until proven otherwise. 

• Like 1