Bears sign QB Andy Dalton

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, SaveOurSonics said:

How will they afford Russell and Dalton's contracts? 

Russell getting traded to Chicago is a pipe dream for Bears fans and apparently rival NFCW fans. The Bears don't have the resources to pull it off. 

Forgive me for not being well versed on the Bears cap space. I'm speaking strictly from a football perspective - Dalton's a good backup, and a good backup QB shouldn't stop a team from pursuing a starting option if available. 

Edited by 49ersfan

Are people missing the 4D chess move in this for Ryan Pace?  Primetime Dalton is a known turd in the punchbowl... but how likely are the Bears to get a primetime game unless it's against a team that was likely going to smack them around (possibly not their defense... but then again...)?

200.gif

In just the last four seasons:

Mike Glennon

Mitch Trubisky

Chase Daniel

Matt Barkley

Nick Foles

Andy Dalton

Honestly don't know how Bears fans deal with it. They haven't had a QB in eons. Cutler, Mike McMahon, and 1995 Erik Krammer are the best the franchise has seen at least since the merger. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Turnobili said:

Andy Dalton wasn't a free agent until a full month after the Foles trade though...

The Bengals screwed that up. Priced him too high and for too long, they should have traded him during the previous season, and ended up getting nothing for him. Dalton wasn't a free agent until the market had completely dried up for the year.

So whatever point this reporter is trying to make, doesn't exist.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Honestly don't know how Bears fans deal with it. They haven't had a QB in eons.

It's a curse.  A curse George Halas put on us for helping the Packers become an established organization and for McCaskey taking away Bears cheerleaders because of her opinions as a woman.

I'm sticking with the former and no one can tell me any different.

"No good dead goes unpunished".

30 minutes ago, otg said:

Andy Dalton wasn't a free agent until a full month after the Foles trade though...

The Bengals screwed that up. Priced him too high and for too long, they should have traded him during the previous season, and ended up getting nothing for him. Dalton wasn't a free agent until the market had completely dried up for the year.

So whatever point this reporter is trying to make, doesn't exist.

It’s fair to say though that Dalton being released was forecastable.  Or requiring far less draft capital / salary than Foles required.    Pace & Nagy kinda panicked there.   Mays might be exaggerating the point but saying Chicago didn’t need to overpay in draft capital for Foles seems fair.  

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

It’s fair to say though that Dalton being released was forecastable.  Or requiring far less draft capital / salary than Foles required.    Pace & Nagy kinda panicked there.   Mays might be exaggerating the point but saying Chicago didn’t need to overpay in draft capital for Foles seems fair.  

Going by contract, Dalton was the supervisor choice. If I remember correctly none of it was guaranteed and his salary had long been lower than any starting quarterback who wasn't on their rookie contract or who wasn't named Tom Brady.

Going by draft capital Dalton would have cost more. There was interest in Dalton but speculation put the Bengals price at a 2nd or 3rd. But Bengals gonna Bengal, and they ended up getting nothing after refusing to lower their price.

I agree that Chicago overpaid for Foles though.