Bears sign Andy Dalton

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

We just signed a backup QB to a 1 yr deal and paid him backup QB money. But judging by some fans reactions you would think we just signed him to a 5/50 deal with 30M gtd. 

We had one back up QB, now we have two. We may be on our way to having the best QB3 in the NFL for what its worth though. lol

10 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Are we nothing to you? 

What do the kids say?  Non player characters.

Just kidding.  Love you sugar.

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

Ian Rapport explained what happened on GMF this morning.

Pace made giant offer to Seattle GM.  Giant.

Seattle GM took the offer to Pete Carroll who slept on it and decided he didn’t want to do a rebuild.  Him being 70 probably had something to do with that.

Dalton was only remaining viable option to Pace.  I guess he doesn’t like Minshew, Tua or Darnold or doesn’t like them as much as Dalton.

I think there is still a chance Bears are good with Dalton if the offensive line takes a giant leap and Nagy staff coaches a 100% better.   I know it is hugely disappointing.  

Everyone keeps saying Bears need to trade up in draft for a QB now.   Why on Earth would you want the lame duck group doing that?   

They need to draft BPA at each pick and let someone else decide future.  These guys get their last shot this year and it is not impossible.   A long shot, but not impossible.   There are some really talented players on this team.  

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:
3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

We just signed a backup QB to a 1 yr deal and paid him backup QB money. But judging by some fans reactions you would think we just signed him to a 5/50 deal with 30M gtd. 

We had one back up QB, now we have two.

So you think the FO is going to roll with Foles/Dalton this year? 

3 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I just find it unlikely that another team will trade anything for Foles now. And paying him that much to be a 3rd QB is no way for Pace and Nagy to save their jobs.

5 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Well they both have not insignificant cap hits for this season.  NFL teams usually don’t carry 3 cap hitting QBs.  

Might be a post draft deal for Tua or Darnold.  

I am thinking plan may be to roll with Dalton and improve O line and try to have a playoff year behind Defense and a moderately improved offense featuring Montgomery, Robinson and Mooney.  

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Everyone keeps saying Bears need to trade up in draft for a QB now.   Why on Earth would you want the lame duck group doing that?   

Trading up, within reason. Trading up a few spots without using future assets.  Because best case scenario we end up with a good QB -- why everyone assumes if you don't draft in the top-10 to get a QB is still beyond me, as if they never bust. 

Worst case scenario, he's a terrible starter, but a young, viable backup QB, and the next regime could still get a decent pick for him next year just like Kiem did with Josh rosen.  Drafted him in the 1st and traded for him the next year and got a 2nd round pick in return. 

4 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I just find it unlikely that another team will trade anything for Foles now. And paying him that much to be a 3rd QB is no way for Pace and Nagy to save their jobs.

Yeah, nobody is trading for Foles. If they don't find a QB in the draft then he's going to stay. But I do think they will find his replacement in the draft and take the 3M hit to cut him.  There's no way they're going into 2021 with Foles/Dalton as their QBs. That would be a career suicide.

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Unrealistically, yes, they did.  They really thought there was a chance Carrol would actually be willing to lose a future HOF fame QB, take a 40M hit, AND be without a QB in 2021.

Bears have the most irrational fan base in the league. 

....when we already had a backup QB making less money.

You can argue all you want about Dalton being better than Foles, they're both bad.  This will be another year of having two QB's ranked in the 20s starting games for the Bears. 

The Wilson trade always seemed insane, guess Pete Carroll agreed but it was nice to hope. Curious to see what Wilson does now. 

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Well they both have not insignificant cap hits for this season.  NFL teams usually don’t carry 3 cap hitting QBs.  

Might be a post draft deal for Tua or Darnold.  

I am thinking plan may be to roll with Dalton and improve O line and try to have a playoff year behind Defense and a moderately improved offense featuring Montgomery, Robinson and Mooney.  

It could be. If so, see you guys next year.  And I honestly wouldn't have a problem it. Pace and Nagy made their beds....let them die on it. 

But, that might be a hard sell. Especially with their jobs on the line. I can't imagine them going into Mccaskey's office and telling them they think Dalton is significantly better than Foles and that he's good enough to make a deep playoff run with. 

Both Pace/Nagy's first and second QB plans have failed, and now they have to do something different.  They already let Mitch go. So there's one difference.  They already replaced Foles(tho unofficially). And now they have to find a Foles replacement.

They have to go into McCaskey's office with completely new ideas and personnel and the only they can do that now is either thru the draft or another backup QB.

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It could be. If so, see you guys next year.  And I honestly wouldn't have a problem it. Pace and Nagy made their beds....let them die on it. 

But, that might be a hard sell. Especially with their jobs on the line. I can't imagine them going into Mccaskey's office and telling them they think Dalton is significantly better than Foles and that he's good enough to make a deep playoff run with. 

Both Pace/Nagy's first and second QB plans have failed, and now they have to do something different.  They already let Mitch go. So there's one difference.  They already replaced Foles(tho unofficially). And now they have to find a Foles replacement.

They have to go into McCaskey's office with completely new ideas and personnel and the only they can do that now is either thru the draft or another backup QB.

What is 4th or 5th choice rookie QB going to do in year 1?  

Why would they bother with that when they draft a guy who can help now in 1st and maybe help save their job?

Just now, dll2000 said:

What is 4th or 5th choice rookie QB going to do in year 1? 

What is the 2nd or 3rd best going to do? I don't have a crystal ball and I presume neither of us do either. 

Mitch was seen as the consensus 2nd best QB of his class. How did that work out?