Bears sign Andy Dalton

beardown3231

3 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

What is the 2nd or 3rd best going to do? I don't have a crystal ball and I presume neither of us do either. 

Mitch was seen as the consensus 2nd best QB of his class. How did that work out?   

Not the point.  Yes 4th or 5th best QB could end up best.  

They are trying to save their job.  They need to win games now.  

MT didn’t save Fox.  1st round QB that doesn’t play and/or doesn’t win won’t save Nagy/Pace and they know it.  

14 hours ago, vegas492 said:

This post is not meant to rub salt in the wound, I do feel for you.  

But, the front office was one player evaluation from being geniuses.  Watson or Mahomes over Mitch.

You got the defensive gamewrecker.  He made everything better.  You have and had the defense to contend for a SB.  All you needed was good QB play.  And there were two guys there that would have given you that.  Had Mitch panned out, or had the front office taken one of the other two guys, GB and the entire NFC would be chasing you still to this day.

You were one left tackle injury or a Jefferson draft pick from winning SB in 2020.

Portland took Sam Bowie in 1984 and rest is history for Chicago. 

Things happen.  People get too worked up over it.  Not really that big a deal. 

Sports and entertainment is not the purpose of life.  Too many people make an idol of it.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:
9 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

What is the 2nd or 3rd best going to do? I don't have a crystal ball and I presume neither of us do either. 

Mitch was seen as the consensus 2nd best QB of his class. How did that work out?   

Not the point.  Yes 4th or 5th best QB could end up best.  

This was the point you were trying to make tho, no?  You insinuated that the lower a QB prospect is drafted, the lower chance there is for him to succeed.

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

They are trying to save their job.  They need to win games now.  

And they are very limited on these options. So the best they can do right now is to go into McCaskey's office and say "hey, we made mistakes at the QB position, and we know now they didn't work so we have completely changed this by replaceing them, and we think this is will be a better solution." 

They have to settle with what they have to work with.

51 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Yeah, nobody is trading for Foles. If they don't find a QB in the draft then he's going to stay. But I do think they will find his replacement in the draft and take the 3M hit to cut him.  There's no way they're going into 2021 with Foles/Dalton as their QBs. That would be a career suicide.

I am sure they will draft a QB and give themselves a 3rd option.

I have serious doubts about their ability to move up and land a top 4-5 QB.

I don’t think that they won’t try... I doubt teams in the top 10 are looking to drop all the way to 20.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am sure they will draft a QB and give themselves a 3rd option.

Yep.  That's the part of the point I was getting at, and I didn't say.

I imagine they have a list of QB they want to sign, and they are going to be willing to go much deeper on that list than even they may even want.

Just now, JAF-N72EX said:

Yep.  That's the part of the point I was getting at, and I didn't say.

I imagine they have a list of QB they want to sign, and they are going to be willing to go much deeper on that list than even they may even want.

I would bet one of 

Wilson

Fields

Lance 

Jones

Mond

Mills

these guys will be on the team. I just think it will be from the 2nd group.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

The higher you draft a QB the more likely you are to land a better player. Part of it is the options you have to draft from, but it is also that teams don’t miss on obvious talents as much as we think.

There are obvious outliers.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/nfl-draft-round-round-qb-study-1994-2016

That's outdated info tho.  The 2011 rookie contracts changed everything and that data only has 3 years worth. Teams were still transitioning and still are.

Now that I've had a day to digest this I still like it. Foles sucks, but he did have some good moments. Tru sucks, but he had some good moments. Why?  Because we have a lot of talent. We didn't have to give up anything in the draft or any players and we still upgraded the QB position which is not easy to do. Sure it's not a big move but we know Nagy likes to throw the ball and Dalton is a rich mans Foles.  He's proven he can be a middle of the road QB which is an upgrade, and he's done that on Bengals teams with no where near the talent. If he grades out in the 20-25 range among QBs to me that's what we want based on reality.  If he's the worst QB in the league then we didn't really even take a step back.  This allows us to reload and not rebuild. We also have the ability to resign Robinson and be players in FA.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would bet one of 

Wilson

Fields

Lance 

Jones

Mond

Mills

these guys will be on the team. I just think it will be from the 2nd group.

Agreed it'll be the 2nd group, but I have my feelings about Lance and Jones.

What do you guys think of this?

I know they probably wouldn't do this, but if I were the McCaskeys, I'd tell Pace & Nagy that they have one season to sink or swim. 

I WOULD NOT let them use valuable draft assets moving way up in the draft for a QB in the Top 10 picks. 

Nagy/Pace would be given one possible life raft - Sam Darnold. 

The Bears signed Dalton, so let him start the season and work with Darnold to see what he has left.  He was the third overall pick in the draft just a few years ago.  Let him have a few weeks to learn the offense and then get him into the games. 

Once Darnold gets his first start, there is no turning back to Dalton.  They have to ride Darnold for the year.  Pace and Nagy either sink or swim.  If they can resurrect Darnold's career and he plays great, they have solved their biggest problem, which is finally finding a real quarterback.  Pace and Nagy can stay around next year.

If Darnold is a dumpster fire, no problem.  Pace and Nagy are gone.  Bears will lose a lot of games and be picking high in next year's draft, where the new regime can pick their new quarterback of the future.

The good thing about Darnold is that unlike a rookie, he does actually have some NFL experience.  The Bears could probably get him for a 2nd round pick, and he should at least have a chance to pick up the offense and be used to NFL game speed.

This gives the McCaskeys a chance for a winning season, or it gives them a good excuse for dumping the current GM and head coach.  That's what I'd do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I don't recall there really being any consensus about QB rankings that year, at least not around here from what I remember.  Watson and Mitch were generally split between 1 and 2 and Mahomes, while @G08 was obsessed with him,  was viewed as a big project player with huge potential upside, but was generally viewed as a bigger project than the other two.

• Like 1

I just don't see why you sign Dalton if the plan is to go with a rookie. Foles is adequate as a backup QB. Spending ~15M of your cap space on QBs who won't play doesn't sound like a way to win now and save your job.

They wanted Wilson. They were all-in on acquiring him and when Seattle declined, they went scrambling for anything they could get.

• Like 1

I think the way that you approach it is this

-You try and move way up, it likely is way too much for a rookie or you get shut down right away.

-Does Mac Jones fall  to 20 or close enough that you can reasonably get him? Probably not if this buzz holds.

-Draft an OT or a WR, someone to help the mediocre/rookie QB.

-2nd/3rd round grab someone like Mond, Mills, or Newman.