Bears sign Andy Dalton

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

So you think the FO is going to roll with Foles/Dalton this year? 

No, Pace and Nagy wil have to get a rookie to try and generate hype.  I think they will draft a rookie who eventually starts because these two don't have it anymore.  Either Foles or Dalton is the best QB3 in the league. 

5 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I just don't see why you sign Dalton if the plan is to go with a rookie. Foles is adequate as a backup QB. Spending ~15M of your cap space on QBs who won't play doesn't sound like a way to win now and save your job.

They wanted Wilson. They were all-in on acquiring him and when Seattle declined, they went scrambling for anything they could get.

Exactly...which is why this Dalton signing has got me thinking more and more that they may not go with a rookie QB after all...at least not in round 1 unless someone falls to them.

I see them going with either OL or WR in round 1 and then maybe a developmental guy in the rounds to follow i.e. Mond, Ehlinger, etc.

This may be the best thing for the Bears franchise because if Pace & Nagy are fired after this coming season then we wouldn't want them to have mortgaged high/future picks for a QB that a new regime may not want.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

I see them going with either OL or WR in round 1 and then maybe a developmental guy in the rounds to follow i.e. Mond, Ehlinger, etc.

I think the round 1 pick depends on working out a deal with ARob. If they can re-sign him, they pick an OT. If not, they'll deal him for picks and draft a WR early.

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:
5 hours ago, Sugashane said:
6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

We just signed a backup QB to a 1 yr deal and paid him backup QB money. But judging by some fans reactions you would think we just signed him to a 5/50 deal with 30M gtd. 

We had one back up QB, now we have two.

So you think the FO is going to roll with Foles/Dalton this year? 

18 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

No, Pace and Nagy wil have to get a rookie to try and generate hype.  I think they will draft a rookie who eventually starts because these two don't have it anymore.  Either Foles or Dalton is the best QB3 in the league. 

Okay then. But that's the main point of the post that you quoted.  Some fans are reacting as if we are starting the season tomorrow with Foles/ Dalton instead of looking at it rationally and waiting things out before judging it. 

That's what I was talking about Bears fans being irrational.

(And to be clear, THIS IS A GENERALIZED STATEMENT.  I AM NOT REFERRING TO ANYONE ON HERE)!!!!!!!!!

53 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I don't recall there really being any consensus about QB rankings that year, at least not around here from what I remember.  Watson and Mitch were generally split between 1 and 2 and Mahomes, while @G08 was obsessed with him,  was viewed as a big project player with huge potential upside, but was generally viewed as a bigger project than the other two.

I was talking about the media consensus from draft experts and alike.  Not the personal opinions of people on here.

10 hours ago, Pool said:

Sure they will try to trade up and draft a rookie QB. But these idiots were gift wrapped Watson and took Trubisky. That was a slam ******* dunk and they blew it. Now they will evaluate a QB properly and get it right? Naaaaaaaaw. It ain't happening.  

A broken clock is right twice a day.

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Also, going from possibly Russell Wilson to actually Andy Dalton is like thinking you drunkenly hooked up with Kate Upton only to wake up the next day and find out it was really the corpse of Bea Arthur. 

GivingHideousCaimanlizard-size_restricte

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Seattle GM took the offer to Pete Carroll who slept on it and decided he didn’t want to do a rebuild.  Him being 70 probably had something to do with that.

I think Carroll decided to try to repair his relationship with Wilson next season, and if that fails, he's going to retire.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

What is 4th or 5th choice rookie QB going to do in year 1?  

Well, depending on how you rate Jones, he and Trask may both be able to start right away, or close to it.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I have serious doubts about their ability to move up and land a top 4-5 QB.

A lot depends on what happens with Watson.

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

This was the point you were trying to make tho, no?  You insinuated that the lower a QB prospect is drafted, the lower chance there is for him to succeed.

No, but I would agree with that generally.  It works out quite often that later QBs do better, but that can be do to better teams, coaches or misevaluation.   If you go number 1 or 2 its often to a crappy mismanaged team.  If you go later in draft you get to learn or have a more loaded team with a better coach.

Everyone would still rather pick their first choice and not their 3rd or 4th.   No one says, history is 3rd guys are most often  hall of famers so we are trading down and taking our 3rd choice.  

But my point was that even if Fields fell to Bears at 20 and they drafted and started him that doesn't save Pace/Nagy job.   

Because Fields or whoever probably isn't going to be great out of gate and Pace/Nagy need them good now.   They would spending their first round pick on a guy likely to get them fired.

Rather than spending it on a position player that is more like able to help them win in year 1 which is year they need to win.  

46 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They have to have a decent rookie to sell to management and the fans.

The Unknown has a powerful allure.

The unknown Rookie didn't save Fox and it won't save Nagy/Pace.

They have to win I think.

If I am Nagy/Pace I take a position player and try to win now rather than draft a QB for next coach and GM.

58 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Okay then. But that's the main point of the post that you quoted.  Some fans are reacting as if we are starting the season tomorrow with Foles/ Dalton instead of looking at it rationally and waiting things out before judging it. 

That's what I was talking about Bears fans being irrational.

(And to be clear, THIS IS A GENERALIZED STATEMENT.  I AM NOT REFERRING TO ANYONE ON HERE)!!!!!!!!!

I think as of yesterday Bears are planning on Foles/Dalton.   They may yet change their mind due to massive fan outrage and pressure.   They may not have anticipated the level of anger they are facing.  

But I don't think it is an irrational thing to say or an irrational plan.

Not an ideal plan by any means.   Not what I would do.   But it is not irrational.

Here is situation from Pace/Nagy point of view:

Unspoken mandate is win now.

You tried to get Wilson and Watson and failed.

Now you can:

A) Make a large trade in draft go with a young player with potential and roll with team you have.    

or

B) Go with a Vet QB, sign a Vet O line player and draft BPAs early in draft to help you win now.  

...  B) is not an irrational decision given circumstances.  

43 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

They have to win I think.

If I am Nagy/Pace I take a position player and try to win now rather than draft a QB for next coach and GM.

Firing Fox was always the plan. He was here to supervise the rebuild.

They do not want to fire Nagy, totally different.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Fox was a placeholder that was basically forced on Pace. Maybe if he'd had a lot more success than he did he might have stuck around, but the clock was ticking the minute that guy walked through the door.

In general, @WindyCityis right. The rookies give you some breathing room.

38 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It's hard to say just what sort of mandate Pace and Nagy actually got, because Spurious George loves them so much. They should have been fired already

All that being said, I could still see Pace drafting an O lineman in the first and going for Trask, Mond, or the Stanford kid in the second or third. Williams is staying in San Francisco. Hopefully Rieff becomes a Bear, takes some heat off. 

I leave the country and don’t have internet for a week and this is what I come back to. My thoughts; Dalton on a one year deal ehh ok, Dalton at $10+ million WTF. I believe this teams ceiling for the upcoming season is 8-8. We’ll see but I have no hopes for it. 

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Fox was a placeholder that was basically forced on Pace. Maybe if he'd had a lot more success than he did he might have stuck around, but the clock was ticking the minute that guy walked through the door.

In general, @WindyCityis right. The rookies give you some breathing room.

It's hard to say just what sort of mandate Pace and Nagy actually got, because Spurious George loves them so much. They should have been fired already

All that being said, I could still see Pace drafting an O lineman in the first and going for Trask, Mond, or the Stanford kid in the second or third. Williams is staying in San Francisco. Hopefully Rieff becomes a Bear, takes some heat off. 

Maybe.

We don't have all the info.  So there are assumptions.

I am working off assumption that this is win or go home.   It may not be the case.