Bears sign Andy Dalton

beardown3231

54 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'd be surprised if they didn't keep winning. At least, some. So then it comes down to improvement.

And hope. 

What record/results do they need you think?

I know they like Pace/Nagy, but I think they need a playoff win or fans are going to start going (more) nuts.

George doesn't like it when he is wildly unpopular.

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

What record/results do they need you think?

I know they like Pace/Nagy, but I think they need a playoff win or fans are going to start going (more) nuts.

George doesn't like it when he is wildly unpopular.

Hard to say, but my guess is that you're right around the target. Win a playoff game, or at least be competitive in it. Have a young quarterback to sell to the fanbase. 

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Hard to say, but my guess is that you're right around the target. Win a playoff game, or at least be competitive in it. Have a young quarterback to sell to the fanbase. 

These may be mutually exclusive outcomes at this point.   

We'll see.   

17 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

Please do. 

Is this one better. Favre Rodgers Love. Love is a guaranteed SB champ and first ballot HOFer then right?

Hey, it wasn't Favre, Rodgers, Love.

It was Favre, Warner, Detmer, Brunell, Rodgers, Brohm, Flynn, Hundley, Love.  Just from memory of drafted QB's.

You draft em when you find 'em.  Favre wasn't the HOF Favre when Brunell was drafted.  Rodgers wasn't HOF Rodgers when Brohm was drafted in the second round.  (Just threw Warner in there because at one time GB had Favre, Detmer, Brunell and Warner in camp.  Crazy.)

GB saw value in Love in the last draft.  My guess is that if they see value again, they will draft another QB.  All to avoid the QB pit that Chicago is in right now.  Which I think is your point.

My point is that you gotta take 'em when you see 'em cuz you don't know when you will need 'em.  Worst case scenario is that you bust and get nothing for the pick.  Best case scenario is a seamless transition with good QB play.  Middle road is that you draft, develop and trade a QB.

For GB, it wasn't quite as simple as Favre to Rodgers.  And I doubt it will be as simple as Rodgers to Love.  But it could be.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

You were one left tackle injury or a Jefferson draft pick from winning SB in 2020.

Portland took Sam Bowie in 1984 and rest is history for Chicago. 

Things happen.  People get too worked up over it.  Not really that big a deal. 

Sports and entertainment is not the purpose of life.  Too many people make an idol of it.  

Really GB was a competent Defensive Coordinator away from the Superb Owl this past season.

Jefferson was never within reach, and GB still had the #1 offense in the league.  GB didn't lose games because they lacked a passing game or WR's.

It was all about the defense.  We rose in the last 1/3 of the season because of the QB's we played.  Add to that the most boneheaded DC call at the end of a half ever and well, here I am with a drinking problem.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

I'd be surprised if they didn't keep winning. At least, some. So then it comes down to improvement.

And hope. 

Based on their 2021 opponents- Bengals, Browns, Steelers, Ravens, Bucs, Rams, Seahawks, Cardinals, Packers x2- they might have a tough time continuing to win. Obviously things change drastically year to year but all of those teams seem to be in good hands for 2021.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Really GB was a competent Defensive Coordinator away from the Superb Owl this past season.

Jefferson was never within reach, and GB still had the #1 offense in the league.  GB didn't lose games because they lacked a passing game or WR's.

It was all about the defense.  We rose in the last 1/3 of the season because of the QB's we played.  Add to that the most boneheaded DC call at the end of a half ever and well, here I am with a drinking problem.  

I think when Jefferson fell they should have moved up for him.  Minnesota may not have traded, but someone else would have.

Its true that offense was really good last year without Jefferson, but he still is a top talent that would have made a big difference to that team.

They would have been way better as good as they were.  Minnesota was going to be a really good offense without Randy Moss in his rookie year.   With Randy they were all time great that year.  

The bad call at end of half wouldn't have been the difference then in this alt Universe.  

9 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Based on their 2021 opponents- Bengals, Browns, Steelers, Ravens, Bucs, Rams, Seahawks, Cardinals, Packers x2- they might have a tough time continuing to win. Obviously things change drastically year to year but all of those teams seem to be in good hands for 2021.

Yeah...I think I saw a thing on ESPN that had the Bears with like the third toughest schedule? Pace will have to really earn his pay to make it back to the playoffs. It can be done, though.

29 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

My point is that you gotta take 'em when you see 'em cuz you don't know when you will need 'em.  Worst case scenario is that you bust and get nothing for the pick.  Best case scenario is a seamless transition with good QB play.  Middle road is that you draft, develop and trade a QB.

But...those guys can't cover...

29 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think when Jefferson fell they should have moved up for him.  Minnesota may not have traded, but someone else would have.

Its true that offense was really good last year without Jefferson, but he still is a top talent that would have made a big difference to that team.

They would have been way better as good as they were.  Minnesota was going to be a really good offense without Randy Moss in his rookie year.   With Randy they were all time great that year.  

The bad call at end of half wouldn't have been the difference then in this alt Universe.  

GB had the #1 scoring offense in the league without Jefferson.  Look.  I LOVED him coming out.  But the cost to moving above Minnesota for him would not have been worth the return.  Heck in our offense, we are undefeated when Adams is out with injury.  This is simply not an offense that is reliant on the WR's.

There is no alt universe with Jefferson that can get around the dropped INT by Redmond and the boneheaded DC call with 3 seconds left in the half.   Or a season full of bonehead DC calls and schemes.

As much as Chicago cannot get the QB position "right", GB has been in the same boat with defensive coordinators.  And to me (and I can be wrong), it looks like we signed the Andy Dalton (or less) of defensive coordinators to replace Pettine.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

GB had the #1 scoring offense in the league without Jefferson.  Look.  I LOVED him coming out.  But the cost to moving above Minnesota for him would not have been worth the return.  Heck in our offense, we are undefeated when Adams is out with injury.  This is simply not an offense that is reliant on the WR's.

There is no alt universe with Jefferson that can get around the dropped INT by Redmond and the boneheaded DC call with 3 seconds left in the half.   Or a season full of bonehead DC calls and schemes.

As much as Chicago cannot get the QB position "right", GB has been in the same boat with defensive coordinators.  And to me (and I can be wrong), it looks like we signed the Andy Dalton (or less) of defensive coordinators to replace Pettine.

Love may turn out really good and this is all moot.  But we know Jefferson is exceptional.   There is no Universe where GB is worse in 2020 with Jefferson on team in place of Love.  

Maybe 3 years from now Love is worth 3 Jeffersons.   Who knows.

You certainly aren't going to find a good QB in draft without drafting them once in awhile.  

Big problem much of NFL has is it doesn't develop QBs.   Maybe a lot of guys could end up good if they got real live practice reps outside of training camp.