Bears sign Andy Dalton

I know it's still way early into the offseason but I don't think I've ever felt less enthused about an upcoming season than the 2021 Chicago Bears

Tough Schedule - Check

Lame Duck Coach & GM - Check

Star Player(s) Wanting Out - Check

Panic Adding Another Garbage Veteran QB - Check

It's just very hard to trust the direction and people in charge of this franchise.  Just straight incompetence at all levels

• Like 5
46 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

And how much of a leash do the stooges up front have? Because Foles and Dalton won't fly. Can they trade up and get one of the top three guys? If not, why are they picking anybody or trading a massive amount of picks if they have no trust from the owners?

At this point I hope the ownership has them severely limited. Let's just run their contracts out and move on without allowing these guys to mortgage future years.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

At this point I hope the ownership has them severely limited. Let's just run their contracts out and move on without allowing these guys to mortgage future years.

Spurious George absolutely freakin' LOVES these guys, though! I don't think they're going to be held back in any meaningful way. 

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I know it's still way early into the offseason but I don't think I've ever felt less enthused about an upcoming season than the 2021 Chicago Bears

Tough Schedule - Check

It's just very hard to trust the direction and people in charge of this franchise.  Just straight incompetence at all levels

tenor

Edited by FosterTheSkins
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Tough Schedule - Check

I'm waiting until after the draft to join you, but I will say this is the least involved/invested I've been in any off-season I can recall as a Bears fan.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Wouldn’t it be nice if a Laremy Tunsil gas mask video leaked the morning of the draft and a top 5 QB fell to #20. 

That analogy hurts.  

Tunsil was considered perhaps top talent in that draft.  He wasn’t, but he is good.  

Bears needed an OT and passed on him.  It was stupid.   

They passed on Kareem Hunt over a video where he did something really stupid. He wasn’t an otherwise terrible dude by all accounts, he was very remorseful and has been fine since.   Cost himself millions and a SB ring.

But Bears could have took advantage for a song and not had to trade for Montgomery or use that pick on him.   I think Montgomery is really good, but Hunt is a little better still and you knew Hunt was good.

Trubisky was Pace biggest mistake, but not the only one.

LT is now a huge hole that could have been filled in that draft.   

19 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Love may turn out really good and this is all moot.  But we know Jefferson is exceptional.   There is no Universe where GB is worse in 2020 with Jefferson on team in place of Love.  

Maybe 3 years from now Love is worth 3 Jeffersons.   Who knows.

You certainly aren't going to find a good QB in draft without drafting them once in awhile.  

Big problem much of NFL has is it doesn't develop QBs.   Maybe a lot of guys could end up good if they got real live practice reps outside of training camp.

Again, the cost of moving up that far for Jefferson would not have been worth the return in the GB offense.  This is not the Mac offense with isolation routes.  This is a run first offense that sets up the pass.  Light years different than what Mac ran and what Minnesota does run.  

With those picks that GB would have given up for Jefferson, it would have left bigger holes in the roster.  We have a young beast at RB, a real H-back with blocking and receiving skills, and a bunch of interior lineman that are developing.

Then there is Love.  Not that I know, but I BELIEVE that the selection of Love motivated Rodgers big time.  And in the same breath, maybe Jefferson at WR would have motivated him as well.

Sorry about the rant, what I really wanted to talk about was your last point. Drafting and developing young QB's.  

This is a big one for me.  NFL changed big time over the last 5+ years.  QB's are coming in and contributing earlier now, due to more collegiate type offenses.  And that may be because too many young QB's absolutely have to play right away.  I think we'd see a different NFL if there were still QB camps and things like that to help the young signal callers out.

The best way to get a young QB up to speed is to let him ride pine for a while.  Could be 8 games.  Could be a season, could be a season or two.  If you guys swing a trade to secure a QB in the first round, while having Foles and Dalton manage the team for this year, you will be in a better spot than simply drafting a kid and playing him right away.

32 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Sorry about the rant, what I really wanted to talk about was your last point. Drafting and developing young QB's.  

This is a big one for me.  NFL changed big time over the last 5+ years.  QB's are coming in and contributing earlier now, due to more collegiate type offenses.  And that may be because too many young QB's absolutely have to play right away.  I think we'd see a different NFL if there were still QB camps and things like that to help the young signal callers out.

The best way to get a young QB up to speed is to let him ride pine for a while.  Could be 8 games.  Could be a season, could be a season or two.  If you guys swing a trade to secure a QB in the first round, while having Foles and Dalton manage the team for this year, you will be in a better spot than simply drafting a kid and playing him right away.

I think it is a fallacy that QBs get better riding pine.   It has happened and there are prime examples, but I think it is more correllation than causation.

Guys that rode pine for a year tell you it helped them, guys that started from day 1 said they would do it no other way.  An example is not conclusive evidence.  

I think you look at learning anything.  How do you learn something best? How would you choose to learn a skill?    

I think it is proven across industries and teaching that you best get better at something by doing it along with good instruction in real time.   You do or can get better, by just watching someone else do something - but it is not as good as above.

There is the X factor of early failure causing lasting bad habits and loss of confidence.   But I think that is were the good instruction comes in.  

I think it also beyond stupid to bring in a young QB with an awful O line.   That is a fast way to create bad habits that may never go away.   You have number 1 draft pick?  Go spend on OL in FA.    Or you likely just wasted it.

If you have a crappy golf coach and your swing is jacked, doing it doesn't get you better.   You get worse. 

I think this is true for all positions.   Players have basically 2 weeks of camp to learn and develop with live reps.   

The rest (in season) is mainly glorified walk thrus or watching.  NFL needs a farm system aside from CFB.  It would increase depth and quality of play exponentially. 

Why do so many young QBs fail?   Because they are drafted to bad teams with not great coaches and they develop bad habits and so on.    Not because they played in first year.

Now they go to team 2 as a back up.   They aren't getting reps and they never recover.   It is often a self fulfilling prophecy or a matter of repeating same errors again and again.

In a situation like Love or Rodgers behind Favre they get years of training camp and pre-season and in season watching and coaching.   And they are not on an awful team.   So they can hit the ground running when they do get in game.

Mahomes sat for a year, but then he played on a loaded team.  Not an awful one.   Watson had a good team early in Houston as well - plus Watson was a 4 year starter.  That helps too.

16 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I keep saying it but...Trey Lance will fall.  You watch

Lance makes a ton of sense for Atlanta to me because he has huge upside but there wouldn’t be any real pressure to get him on the field too soon. Ideal situation for him.

The media has made it seem like Fields will be the QB to fall, and since he’s my QB2 in this draft I’d be thrilled if that were the case. 

• Like 1