Bears sign Andy Dalton

beardown3231

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It looks like the plan is Dalton.

Why trade for Minshew or Darnold if Dalton is your starter?

because they are both young QBs with two years left on their contracts, and if they could be acquired for cheap then we can get them into the building to see if they have something we can work with in the long term, especially the following year when dalton is gone. 

i mean, isn't that one of the things we've chastised pace for - not bringing in young qb's to at the very least mold/see what they got. now all of a sudden you guys wouldn't want to take a chance bringing in young qb's that have shown potential in the past because of.... andy dalton on a 1-year deal?

Just now, HuskieBear said:

because they are both young QBs with two years left on their contracts, and if they could be acquired for cheap then we can get them into the building to see if they have something we can work with in the long term, especially the following year when dalton is gone. 

i mean, isn't that one of the things we've chastised pace for - not bringing in young qb's to at the very least mold/see what they got. now all of a sudden you guys wouldn't want to take a chance bringing in young qb's that have shown potential in the past because of.... andy dalton on a 1-year deal?

Maybe they draft a QB and trade/cut Foles.

But they aren't trading for Minshew or Darnold to learn behind Dalton.

Dalton is starter unless he stinks so much he has to be pulled.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It looks like the plan is Dalton.

Why trade for Minshew or Darnold if Dalton is your starter?

Minshew is obviously out of the picture now. Which is unfortunate.

There's a chance that they might want to get Darnold and coach him up, sit him for a while.

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

This is most likely what they're going to do. The first hope is that Fields or Lance falls. Barring that, they'll go Trask or Mond and sit that guy behind Dalton. Pace has made such a colossal mess of things that, if the second scenario comes about, I'd prefer it if he drafted BOTH Trask and Mond. That's probably a little pricey, though. 

Edited by Heinz D.

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

But they aren't trading for Minshew or Darnold to learn behind Dalton

i never said anything about them learning from dalton - just getting them into the building to see if there is something to work with long term. would you not trade foles for minshew or darnold? if the jets take a qb at 2, then they could do worse at qb2 than having a vet like foles be there to help out lawrence/wilson/fields.

3 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

i never said anything about them learning from dalton - just getting them into the building to see if there is something to work with long term. would you not trade foles for minshew or darnold? if the jets take a qb at 2, then they could do worse at qb2 than having a vet like foles be there to help out lawrence/wilson/fields.

Well, the Jets would be nuts to trade Darnold for Foles straight up, but I get your point. I think what @dll2000was getting at is that if you trade for either Darnold or Minshew, you're doing it because you hope that guy can be the starter. And apparently, Pace has told Dalton he's the starter. That makes it more likely they're looking to draft a kid who they will feel more comfortable sitting for a while, maybe the whole season (if possible). 

18 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Minshew is obviously out of the picture now. Which is unfortunate.

There's a chance that they might want to get Darnold and coach him up, sit him for a while.

This is most likely what they're going to do. The first hope is that Fields or Trask falls. Barring that, they'll go Trask or Mond and sit that guy behind Dalton. Pace has made such a colossal mess of things that, if the second scenario comes about, I'd prefer it if he drafted BOTH Trask and Mond. That's probably a little pricey, though. 

Trask will more than likely be available in the 2nd round.  Did you mean Mac Jones?

A top-QB prospect falling to them at the 20 range would be ideal because I don't entrust Pace to mortgage future draft picks up into the top-10 to take another flier on an unknown QB.

I'd also be cool with them taking OL in round 1 and then taking a shot at a high upside QB like Mond in the 2nd

• Like 1

2 hours ago, malagabears said:

Mitch to Bills:

Smart move by Mitch.  Gets to learn behind a good offensive mind in Brian Daboll who did wonders with Josh Allen.

Who knows if he sees any real game action but he'll be a good backup for them at the very least.

7 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Smart move by Mitch.  Gets to learn behind a good offensive mind in Brian Daboll who did wonders with Josh Allen.

Who knows if he sees any real game action but he'll be a good backup for them at the very least.

I'm surprised the $ are so small, though. I saw a thing, when the signing first broke, that said $10 mil. Obviously, that was inaccurate, but $2.5 mil is tiny, by NFL standards. 

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

I suspect it's more that people don't expect the Bears to bring other vets in now they have Dalton and Foles. 

Signing Dalton seems like a panic move from a GM who needs adequate QB play to save his job. 

If he'd waited a week he might have been able to bring in Mariota. If he'd waited till the draft Darnold and Minshew might be available. 

All three better options than Dalton. But Pace is on the hot seat and in incapable of patience. He thinks 'aggression' is a virtue, hence his zoning in on certain players and his reckless drafting.

Edited by British

34 minutes ago, British said:

I suspect it's more that people don't expect the Bears to bring other vets in now they have Dalton and Foles. 

Signing Dalton seems like a panic move from a GM who needs adequate QB play to save his job. 

If he'd waited a week he might have been able to bring in Mariota. If he'd waited till the draft Darnold and Minshew might be available. 

All three better options than Dalton. But Pace is on the hot seat and in incapable of patience. He thinks 'aggression' is a virtue, hence his zoning in on certain players and his reckless drafting.

Signing Dalton is a "panic move"...of sorts. I'm not sure about Mariota being a better option than Dalton, but hey, it's in the ballpark. The other two guys are CLEARLY better options than Dalton, and Darnold may not be out the picture yet...but he probably is.

Pace is probably gambling on a rookie, long term. We'll see what happens. He's miscalculated EVERYTHING in, like, a bajillion different ways so far. And yeah, his drafting has been reckless, particularly last year. 

20 minutes ago, Hitman52 said:

Dalton or Mariota?

Why the HELL would they cut Mariota? That's just criminally insane.