Bears sign Andy Dalton

beardown3231

1 minute into this and I'm already saying to myself.....this guy is gassing Dalton on plays while ignoring the blatant flaws happening in the very same play.

He talks about how Dalton's anticipation and accuracy on the throw but fails to acknowledge three big mistakes that Dalton makes here.  One, not going through his progressions. Two, staring down his receiver from snap to throw......he never looks off the safety. Hell, he never looks to his left at all. His eyes are completely fixed on the receiver.

Had Dalton gone through his progressions he would have seen Cooper was wide open on a post route over the middle against a cover-2 look with only 2 linebackers to throw over (who were 5 yards behind Cooper).

Plays like these are a big part of the reason why Dalton throws so many INTs and the same thing I have seen from Mitch and Foles for the last 3 years.

• Like 1

I think Phil’s film break downs are often pretty good and fairly spot on.  

I often don’t agree with his conclusions.  But unlike 90% of people doing film on youtube he generally understands line play, its importance to success and fundamentals of positions.  

I haven’t watched Dalton one or heard his position on Dalton, but I doubt his point is that Dalton is great.  That would be an impossible position given his body of work.   Just not nearly as awful as a lot of people are saying.

Dalton is a competent NFL QB.  He isn’t Glennon.  You could say same of Foles though and he hasn’t played that way here.

Maybe average QBs just look horrible with bad O line play.  

23 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

1 minute into this and I'm already saying to myself.....this guy is gassing Dalton on plays while ignoring the blatant flaws happening in the very same play.

He talks about how Dalton's anticipation and accuracy on the throw but fails to acknowledge three big mistakes that Dalton makes here.  One, not going through his progressions. Two, staring down his receiver from snap to throw......he never looks off the safety. Hell, he never looks to his left at all. His eyes are completely fixed on the receiver.

Had Dalton gone through his progressions he would have seen Cooper was wide open on a post route over the middle against a cover-2 look with only 2 linebackers to throw over (who were 5 yards behind Cooper).

Plays like these are a big part of the reason why Dalton throws so many INTs and the same thing I have seen from Mitch and Foles for the last 3 years.

Are you Mitch Trubisky?  Seriously. 

• Like 2

From another board...

So for fun, I decided to compare some stats. These stats are from 2014-2019.

Player A
Wins : 40
Completion % : 63
Yards : 20234
TD : 124
INT : 69
Av Yards/Game : 240
Rating : 89

Player B
Wins : 40
Completion % : 64
Yards : 22793
TD : 143
INT : 62
Av Yards/Game : 243
Rating : 90

One of these is Andy Dalton. The other is Derek Carr...a guy we advocated the Bears giving up multiple first round picks for. A guy that many said would make the Bears immediate super bowl contenders.

I found it interesting... they are very similar in a lot of ways, including athletically.

I'm guessing Dalton is player A

Edited by G08

27 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Multiple firsts for Carr? Bleh...

Maybe with a 3rd coming back or something but straight up? Hell to the nooo...

It's fascinating that people (myself included) were foaming at the mouth for Derek Carr, and then completely **** on Andy Dalton.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

It's fascinating that people (myself included) were foaming at the mouth for Derek Carr, and then completely **** on Andy Dalton.

They're both pretty average veteran QBs.

I think most people were pissed off when they signed Dalton (myself included) but mainly because of it being a huge letdown after hearing all the Russ Wilson to Chicago rumors for weeks on end and not because he's actually a terrible QB.

After allowing myself to cool off a bit I can admittedly say that Dalton is fine as a game manager and the positive is that he's only signed on a 1-year deal.  He's also better than Foles so there's a small victory. 

Although Mitch & Dalton are similar IMO, Mitch was never going to return so I've made peace with the decision to move on from him

The fact remains that they definitely need to get a young QB in the pipeline and start grooming him to take over next year

15 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Although Mitch & Dalton are similar IMO, Mitch was never going to return so I've made peace with the decision to move on from him

If it was me, I would have brought Mitch back for 2021 and fully committed to the Shanahan/McVay offense. Draft a WR/OT in rounds 1 and 2 and then take my developmental QB in round 3.

But what do I know 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

that he's only signed on a 1-year deal.  He's also better than Foles so there's a small victory. 

That's the ash in the drink right there, we now have Foles plus possibly the most incremental improvement over Foles, but at 10m more per year.  Foles+Slightly Better Than Foles is not an inpsiring combimnation, especially with your point about how massively disappointing anything would be after buying all those Russel Wilson jerseys. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G08 said:

If it was me, I would have brought Mitch back for 2021 and fully committed to the Shanahan/McVay offense. Draft a WR/OT in rounds 1 and 2 and then take my developmental QB in round 3.

But what do I know 🤷‍♂️

Based on hearsay Mitch wanted a fresh start somewhere else and the feeling was mutual from Bears.

The writing was on the wall back last year when the Bears declined his 5th year option.  Rarely ever does a team retain a player after doing that, especially a QB.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G08 said:

But what do I know 🤷‍♂️

Mitch wanted out, and as much as it pains me to say it, Dalton's a better option than Mitch anyway. Far more consistent. 

And as long as Nagy's around they're going to run whatever flavor of his offense emerges in any particular week. 

15 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

Are you Mitch Trubisky?  Seriously. 

Yes.  Are you Andy Dalton? 

I mean cmon. If you disagree with what I said, fine, feel free to debate it rather than asking some snarky, weird random question.

Dalton is terrible and no team should be counting on him as a starter at this stage in his career.  Backup. Fine. But as a starter? Hell no.  He has been bad for a while now and there is nothing to suggest he's going to get any better, especially behind a terrible play-caller like Nagy.