Bears sign Andy Dalton

beardown3231

On 4/1/2021 at 1:10 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

Maybe your right though and he does play better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Well...I'm not expecting all that much. But the Cowboys were just an awful mess last year. Odds are the Bears will present Dalton with a better situation. 

21 minutes ago, soulman said:

Other than Pace's obsession with Wilson I can't see whatever else he may be thinking but sure as it snows in the mountains if he doesn't swing a trade this year it will be Dalton starting with a rookie as his under study.  Looks like a different year but the same old $hit to me.  The offense looks like the epitome of mediocrity again.

Pace has already picked up a decent running back and what we all hope will be a decent OT. He also cut Massie. Dalton will most likely present us with a steadier quarterback situation than the Trubisky/Foles ****show. Unless Pace does something absolutely stupid (which isn't out of the realm of possibility, of course), any rookie QB he drafts stands a better chance of being a starting QB than Trubisky.

It's hard to be very optimistic with Pace still at the helm, but the offense at least has a shot at improving. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Well...I'm not expecting all that much. But the Cowboys were just an awful mess last year. Odds are the Bears will present Dalton with a better situation. 

Pace has already picked up a decent running back and what we all hope will be a decent OT. He also cut Massie. Dalton will most likely present us with a steadier quarterback situation than the Trubisky/Foles ****show. Unless Pace does something absolutely stupid (which isn't out of the realm of possibility, of course), any rookie QB he drafts stands a better chance of being a starting QB than Trubisky.

It's hard to be very optimistic with Pace still at the helm, but the offense at least has a shot at improving. 

Even if the O improves, they'll still be the "epitome of medicore" as @soulman said. Going from s*** to slightly less s***ty is still medicore/bad

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't know about this Heinz.

I mean Cowboys had the better backfield, better OL and much better WR situation. Only area Bears may have had a leg up was at TE

Bears will need to add another bonafide #2 WR to compliment ARob and Mooney to even be close to what Cowboys had last season

This is why we shouldn't discount Pace taking a top rated WR in round 1

Edited by topwop1

33 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Even if the O improves, they'll still be the "epitome of medicore" as @soulman said. Going from s*** to slightly less s***ty is still medicore/bad

It could well turn out you're right about that. 

But what if they draft Christian Darrisaw, Davis Mills and D'Wayne Eskridge? 

22 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't know about this Heinz.

I mean Cowboys had the better backfield, better OL and much better WR situation. Only area Bears may have had a leg up was at TE

Bears will need to add another bonafide #2 WR to compliment ARob and Mooney to even be close to what Cowboys had last season

This is why we shouldn't discount Pace taking a top rated WR in round 1

Their O line had a lot of injuries and their defense totally stunk. You're right about the RB and WR situations, though. 

I hope Pace doesn't go for WR in the first, but he certainly could. 

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I guess I'm just not convinced any of this will make much of a difference.  It's still Nagy's offense and today he announced he'll be calling plays again.  The guy just can't seem to grow up and leave his QB days behind him and acknowledge he's a HC and responsible to the entire team on game day.  Play calling has become his passion and he's not done well at it.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, soulman said:

I guess I'm just not convinced any of this will make much of a difference.  It's still Nagy's offense and today he announced he'll be calling plays again.  The guy just can't seem to grow up and leave his QB days behind him and acknowledge he's a HC and responsible to the entire team on game day.  Play calling has become his passion and he's not done well at it.

That just came up on my phone a few minutes ago. Horrible, horrible news. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

It could well turn out you're right about that. 

But what if they draft Christian Darrisaw, Davis Mills and D'Wayne Eskridge? 

Their O line had a lot of injuries and their defense totally stunk. You're right about the RB and WR situations, though. 

I hope Pace doesn't go for WR in the first, but he certainly could. 

I'm not going to count on a rookie LT, rookie #2 WR and their 2nd string QB to get them from pathetic to good, so yeah, I doubt those 3 guys are going to help them tremendously in year 1

24 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

That just came up on my phone a few minutes ago. Horrible, horrible news. 

Beats me why he keeps saying "they" as in his staff have reviewed this as well and have decided he should continue as the play caller.  Like what are "they" gonna do?  Threaten to walk out unless he gives up the mic and call sheet?

Mediocrity beget more mediocrity brother and if there's one thing this team has in spades it's tons of mediocrity.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, soulman said:

It should be expected. His seat is red hot. He isn't going to get fired because Bill Lazor called plays. The guy's ego is huge. Luckily for us, this only increases the odds of him getting canned

58 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm not going to count on a rookie LT, rookie #2 WR and their 2nd string QB to get them from pathetic to good, so yeah, I doubt those 3 guys are going to help them tremendously in year 1

If they were able to get Darrisaw, he'd be an immediate upgrade to Leno. He'd make a huge difference. Eskridge, and a couple of other guys in his tier have real talent. 

42 minutes ago, soulman said:

Mediocrity beget more mediocrity brother and if there's one thing this team has in spades it's tons of mediocrity.

Pace isn't a mediocre play caller. He's a BAD play caller. Or, at least he was. The only hope now is that he learned something in those few games he actually allowed input from the others on his staff. 

10 hours ago, soulman said:

Hopefully a QB in Dalton who’s at least decisive and recognizes the blitz and who throws a decent enough deep ball can open up the playbook to what Nagy hasn’t been able to go to the past 3 years. I’m not in any real way optimistic, but what else do we have to hang our hopes on? They’re not even making Dalton compete to start, and even if a presumptive mid-round rookie absolutely kills it in camp Nagy doesn’t have nearly the job security Carroll did when he started Wilson over Flynn, and I don’t think he’s got the stones to make a move to a rookie right out of the gate without some kind of assurance about being able to see it through beyond 2021. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

It should be expected. His seat is red hot. He isn't going to get fired because Bill Lazor called plays. The guy's ego is huge. Luckily for us, this only increases the odds of him getting canned

giphy.gif

A year late, but he can thank Fangio and Pagano for his winning record when he gets his next job. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 12:40 AM, AZBearsFan said:

Hopefully a QB in Dalton who’s at least decisive and recognizes the blitz and who throws a decent enough deep ball can open up the playbook to what Nagy hasn’t been able to go to the past 3 years. I’m not in any real way optimistic, but what else do we have to hang our hopes on? They’re not even making Dalton compete to start, and even if a presumptive mid-round rookie absolutely kills it in camp Nagy doesn’t have nearly the job security Carroll did when he started Wilson over Flynn, and I don’t think he’s got the stones to make a move to a rookie right out of the gate without some kind of assurance about being able to see it through beyond 2021. 

Dalton has shown an ability to play at a Pro Bowl level in the past.  I'll accept that all of the skills that gave him an ability to perform at that level haven't eroded at age 32.

He has a shot at improving things greatly if two three things can happen.

1) Nagy becomes less dependent on the pass and is willing to stick with runs that work.

2) Nagy can come up with a complimentary passing game that actually works.

3) Dalton gets the protection he needs to do his job.

So what we should all be asking ourselves is on a scale of 0-10 just how certain we can be that all three of those things will happen?  Put me down for a six.

51 minutes ago, soulman said:

Dalton has shown an ability to play at a Pro Bowl level in the past.  I'll accept that all of the skills that gave him an ability to perform at that level haven't eroded at age 32.

He has a shot at improving things greatly if two three things can happen.

1) Nagy becomes less dependent on the pass and is willing to stick with runs that work.

2) Nagy can come up with a complimentary passing game that actually works.

3) Dalton gets the protection he needs to do his job.

So what we should all be asking ourselves is on a scale of 0-10 just how certain we can be that all three of those things will happen?  Put me down for a six.

Chances are Dalton has one of the best statistical years at QB as any Bear in history...The bar isnt that high...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dafreak said:

Chances are Dalton has one of the best statistical years at QB as any Bear in history...The bar isnt that high...

Dalton’s last 7 games last year (after returning from a concussion): 

164/248 (66.1%), 1718 yds, 13 TD, 5 INT, 95.1 QB Rating.

If we could get something even reasonably resembling that from him across 17 weeks then we’d be in good shape. Getting that is probably gonna mean a step from Mooney (reasonable) and immediate contributions of some kind from rookies on offense though or a FA add of some value.

I’d love to see us bring in Dede Westbrook on a 1-year deal provided he’s recovered from his October ACL tear. He’s mostly a slot player but that’s fine - ARob and Mooney mostly line up outside. 4.39 speed pre-injury. He had 66 catches each of 2018 and 2019. Some backup PR value. That’s a set the floor signing for your WR3 with a swing in the draft behind it on a big upside guy like Eskridge or Amari Rodgers or Tylan Wallace in round 3 who then aren’t forced into immediate action if they’re not ready. I’m operating at this point under the assumption that Miller/Wims/Ridley won’t be on the team or at least won’t have any expectations on them if they are. Miller in particular is so frustrating because the talent is so clearly there. 

• Like 1