Alshon

icebox

I hated that Pace wasted the #7 pick on an athletic specimen that was not polished, AT ALL, as a WR. Scouts said it themselves once White got to the NFL, he might be timed as a 4.3 guy but he lacks any sense of WR savvy that he plays like a 4.6 guy. Add inconsistent hands to that and you have all the makings of a garbage pick.

I HATE him.

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

You mean that a WR with literally no injury history in college suddenly can't stay healthy in the pros? That darn Pace, he really should have seen that coming! Tell me top, which completely healthy college player do you see being stricken with the injury bug in the pros?

I was usually one of Kevin White's biggest supporters on this board and have always maintained that Pace cannot be blamed for the pick because of his recurrent health issues.  No one could have predicted that.

I'm just saying that Pace may be hesitant to spend another high pick on a WR because of all the scrutiny he's been under for the White pick.

4 hours ago, 51to54 said:

It wasn't that White had a injury history. It was that Pace drafted what many of us think is a luxury position into a team with more holes than a Swiss cheese factory and drafted a guy with one year of production and a fairly raw set of WR tools.

Conventional wisdom says most WR take a year or two to acclimate to the NFL game. Draft guys that can improve Trubisky's survival chances in 2018 with the first round like another quality starting OT and then load up on your WR pick.  Better yet, get a quality FA WR and help Trubisky out of the gate in 2018. Pace should concentrate on developing Trubisky and not a couple of rookie WR for 2018. At least not WR that you expect to make Trubisky's life easier in 2018.

I think that was why White was drafted. Pace knew he was going to have to draft his franchise QB and thought this was his chance to have a hell of a duo( Alshon and White)  to ease the rookie QB out of the gate. Obviously didn't work out but I don't feel this was able to be considered a luxury pick, that is far too superficial of a train of thought for his pick.

It really depends on how committed they are to ensuring that Trubisky is successful.

An OLB in the 1st mate do more for the 2018 wins and loses, but really doesn't do anything to ensure that Trubisky reaches his peak.

One of the podcasts had an interesting take and it was "do you really want to train Trubisky to be a game manager?" There point was that the Fox conservative game managing/no weapons is training him to be less than he can be.

White shouldn't factor into you evaluation of another player.

I was really thinking that the Bears should rebuild the WR group with free agency and that you could draft OLB in the 1st.

But my buddy who cheers for another team asked "isn't everything about Trubisky?" And his point was that elite WRs don't hit free agency and does having a couple good WRs allow Mitch to be elite?

Hard to argue. Especially considering he is a Colts fan who has damaged their franchise QB by not investing in his success.

32 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

White shouldn't factor into you evaluation of another player.

I was really thinking that the Bears should rebuild the WR group with free agency and that you could draft OLB in the 1st.

But my buddy who cheers for another team asked "isn't everything about Trubisky?" And his point was that elite WRs don't hit free agency and does having a couple good WRs allow Mitch to be elite?

Hard to argue. Especially considering he is a Colts fan who has damaged their franchise QB by not investing in his success.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum... I think a legit OLB helps this team out more than a highly drafted WR. Pace whiffed, badly, on Kevin White (and Markus Wheaton?) so I don't exactly trust him there.

Sign someone in FA, Meredith your 2, Wright your 3, White your 4, and let Gentry/McBride battle for 5.

3 hours ago, G08 said:

I'm on the other end of the spectrum... I think a legit OLB helps this team out more than a highly drafted WR. Pace whiffed, badly, on Kevin White (and Markus Wheaton?) so I don't exactly trust him there.

Sign someone in FA, Meredith your 2, Wright your 3, White your 4, and let Gentry/McBride battle for 5.

I don't disagree that it helps the team.

But the WR helps Trubisky more.

So the question becomes do you want to play good defense and have a decent QB, or do you want to see if Trubisky is elite?

3 hours ago, G08 said:

That WR core listed above is still bad and has White in a position where he is going to have to play.

Even if you add Davante Adams, who I think is the top FA option, you still have a couple of 2s, 1 with an ACL and a 3.

I don't disagree Windy but I think this team as currently built is defense, run game, QB. If we ever shift to focusing on the QB to win games then yeah let's get him some legit WRs in the draft. I just don't see that happening.

We just beat the Ravens with Gentry, McBride, and Wright at WR. Get Meredith back, spend some cash on a true #1, retain Wright and we are in much better shape for the current formula this team employs.

18 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't disagree Windy but I think this team as currently built is defense, run game, QB. If we ever shift to focusing on the QB to win games then yeah let's get him some legit WRs in the draft. I just don't see that happening.

We just beat the Ravens with Gentry, McBride, and Wright at WR. Get Meredith back, spend some cash on a true #1, retain Wright and we are in much better shape for the current formula this team employs.

I don't believe they traded up to 2nd overall pick to get a game manager who relies on defense to win (not exactly what you said, but the role described above). Right now they are defense dependent but that is purely due to a lack of talent on the outside. Pace picked him because he wants him to be the one that carries a team IMO.

That being said we aren't going to neglect defense. Hell Brady had some of the top defenses in the NFL on most of his Super Bowl runs.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Why draft a franchise qb #2 overall if you just want a game manager this team for the forseeable future is all about making Trubisky as comfortable as possible

1 hour ago, G08 said:

That is a good plan for winning games.

But Trubisky is the key to winning playoff games and beating the elite teams.

That win against the Ravens is not where near a repeatable win, especially with the division on the line against the Packers. I think that the defense is important, but won't allow us to knock off the Packers.

On 10/21/2017 at 1:41 PM, WindyCity said:

That is a good plan for winning games.

But Trubisky is the key to winning playoff games and beating the elite teams.

That win against the Ravens is not where near a repeatable win, especially with the division on the line against the Packers. I think that the defense is important, but won't allow us to knock off the Packers.

Dude threw 7 times today and we got another W

35 minutes ago, G08 said:

Dude threw 7 times today and we got another W

It is not sustainable and will not work against elite teams.

If the Bears are going to rely on defensive TDs then they are not going to win many games.

Super nice that they are getting turnovers and defensive scores, but it will stop at some point and we will be screaming for the offense to do something.

Archived