Bills Sign WR Emmanuel Sanders

2 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Sanders is a smart savvy vet. I’ll take that in this offense all day. Between him, Diggs, and Bease...Davis has such a smart room to learn from

And Dazz Newsome in a month and a half. 

I am okay with this signing depending on the contract figures. However I still think this doesn't make our offense any better. We lack speed and someone who can stretch the field. We need to add some speed on the outside along with some speed and pass catching ability out of the backfield. More than likely we can find someone in the draft, but relying on rookies in year one is risky. I feel like Beane and McDermott are allergic to adding plus athletes to skill positions on offense and at CB.

31 minutes ago, Billsfaninptown said:

I am okay with this signing depending on the contract figures. However I still think this doesn't make our offense any better. We lack speed and someone who can stretch the field. We need to add some speed on the outside along with some speed and pass catching ability out of the backfield. More than likely we can find someone in the draft, but relying on rookies in year one is risky. I feel like Beane and McDermott are allergic to adding plus athletes to skill positions on offense and at CB.

Sanders can stretch the field. Best part of Daboll is his ability to scheme guys open...Gabe Davis isn't a true burner but the amount of times he was wide open for a deep TD was incredible. 

17 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Sanders can stretch the field. Best part of Daboll is his ability to scheme guys open...Gabe Davis isn't a true burner but the amount of times he was wide open for a deep TD was incredible. 

But in the playoffs I think it really hurt us not having a big play threat. I think the more dimensions we can add to our offense the scarier we will be. I am not sure Sanders adds an element we didn't already have.

Edited by Billsfaninptown
35 minutes ago, Billsfaninptown said:

But in the playoffs I think it really hurt us not having a big play threat. I think the more dimensions we can add to our offense the scarier we will be. I am not sure Sanders adds an element we didn't already have.

I think that likely comes in the form of TE and it a home run hitter at RB.

Sanders brings more juice and contested catching ability then Smoke. I also live his swagger. 

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think that likely comes in the form of TE and it a home run hitter at RB.

Sanders brings more juice and contested catching ability then Smoke. I also live his swagger. 

I guess my question is does he create yards of catch? I think that was the biggest knock on our wide receivers last year. They made very little plays after the catch. I think if we can improve that area I think our offense could even better. Every big play was reliant on Josh Allen. It would be nice to take the pressure of him once in a while with a guy or two that can take short plays and turn them into big plays. I am not sure if Sanders is a guy that helps improve our weaknesses.

Edited by Billsfaninptown
2 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

I guess my question is does he create yards of catch? I think that was the biggest knock on our wide receivers last year. They made very little plays after the catch. I think if we can improve that area I think our offense could even better. Every big play was reliant on Josh Allen. It would be nice to take the pressure of him once in a while with a guy or two that can take short plays and turn them into big plays. I am not sure if Sanders is a guy that helps improve our weaknesses.

We actually weren't too bad when it came to the YAC last season, ranking 13th. Adding Sanders might help take more looks off of Davis and even Diggs to open them up a little more. Not a knock on John Brown, but Sanders is more established in his career plus he came at a cheaper price. 

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?year=&type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=231

• Like 1

I really like this move. Diggs/Davis work the outside & Beasley/Sanders work the inside. Ideally, Buffalo runs a lot of 4 WR sets, so this move makes a ton of sense scheme wise.

We now have two of the best route runners in the league (Diggs/Beasley) and one who isn't far removed from that tier (Sanders), though I'm assuming Sanders is still a very good route runner. Teams are going to struggle with man coverage on us, and Allen eats up zone defenses. Pick your poison! 

Sanders is, as far as I can recall, a great route runner, physical, sure hands, and fast (though, this quality may have diminished more than the rest due to age). He also hasn't had a top tier QB throwing to him in quite some time (Brees was in and out of the line up last year, and sucked toward the end of the year). 

I am up in the air on this move while I think Sanders would fit in well 6 mil in a year deal is a risk with a cap strap. I doubt we would have been able to have brought in someone else at that price but wonder what it would have taken to land a guy like Will Fuller in a multi year deal with a cap hit of 6 mil this year. That speed could have been what the bills are looking for. My concern with Sanders is he is 34 years old as of today, watching him on the Saints his separation isn't as big as it once was so he has definitely lost a step. We will likely need to add that in the draft. He is a savvy vet that does win a lot of contested balls so I hope that will still stay the same. I dont love it nor do I hate the move.

• Like 1