39 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

do we get a legit C for another few seasons, move Finney to LG?

I can't believe the Raiders are releasing him, but thats 2021 with the lower cap. 

Finney isn’t going to start. Hopefully not anyway. Dotson is the LG. I wouldn’t mind asking about Hudson, but there’s no way we can afford him. 

• Like 1

Money is too tight and he won't play for a huge discount nor should he have to as he is very good! Would solve a lot of problems, but draft a future C is probably the best option. Finney is a stop gap and he is a decent people mover. Our rushing game a few years ago had its best games with Finney playing inside. He's not great and not a sexy free agent signing, but he can be effective in the proper role. Let him start early and depending on who the Steelers can draft, hopefully they(Humphry, Dickerson, Meinerz, Myers, Hill) may be able to replace BJ by mid year and get some experience/game reps rotating at OG. 

People are greatly overrating Finney as Center. He was not good at Center. All his big games were at OG. Everytime he played center he was pretty hot garbage. He's not a stopgap starter, he's a backup. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

People are greatly overrating Finney as Center. He was not good at Center. All his big games were at OG. Everytime he played center he was pretty hot garbage. He's not a stopgap starter, he's a backup. 

I agree that ideally, I would more view BJ as a back-up than stopgap. Admittingly, it has been a few years and my memory may be clouded from the position BJ played and helped the OL. He certainly didn't light it up in Seattle or Ciny.  However, I recall a few posts and even one where someone did a breakdown of rush yardage between when Pouncey played C versus when Finney played C and Pouncey was on the sideline. If I recall, the rushing attack was an average of between 30 and 40 yards better with Finney. 

By no means am I suggesting that he could be "a great," C or he is the answer. But yes, I think a decent half year to one year stopgap (we can agree to disagree here).  He would be alright, in my eyes, preventing the Steelers from rushing a rookie to have to start too soon. A la Mason being forced to play a year too early in my eyes.  BJ is light years better than JC at C at this point. I don't think he hinders the offensive line at all.  In fact, he helps it in terms of running the ball. Wasn't BJ's weakness in pass blocking and the shotgun snap?

Not doubting any of what you are saying, but some of the issues at C with BJ could also have been because there was no Big Ben who made the OL calls and having Duck and Mason as the QB. BJ seems to fit the Steelers system despite not being their typical mobile type of IOL. 

I agree that oftentimes many think that back-ups can perform with the same consistency as starters. As they say, they are back-ups for a reason.  Example comes with back-up QB's. Landry Jones used to get lambasted at times, but he was actually not anywhere near as horrible back-up as he was made out to be by many fans. I think if he had stayed in Pittsburgh in 2019 as a back-up they do finish as a wildcard team in the play-offs.  He was more mature and game ready than both Mason and Duck at the time. 

Finney is still better than Sean Mahan and Justin Hartwig.....which is admittedly isnt saying much, but still....if those two were allowed to be stop gaps for a few seasons, Finney can do.    Not saying its ideal....but you CAN do worse if we are forced to start Finney for a year.

• Like 2