WFT Signs CB William Jackson III

MKnight82

Good player. Was one of the classic small sample PFF darlings in his second year, not unlike his new running buddy Mr. Fuller. Numbers were off the charts that season, though he’s never really gotten back to that level since. He’s older than you’d think, as he only has 4 seasons in the league despite turning 29 in October. 

I think he has more value than Darby because he’s generally been pretty durable for a CB — pec injury that ended his rookie season before it started notwithstanding. And they paid him more than Darby got, so probably similar bang for the buck. Gun to my head, I’d probably choose Jackson for 3/$42M over Darby for 3/$30M. I think Jackson is the better player and he’s more likely to stay on the field for you, though you’re also taking the risk on a guy changing teams and schemes. 

That said, I generally hate spending big money on CBs. I also heard a lot of “team-favorable” fans suggesting it was smart to let Darby walk because teams with great DLs don’t need to spend on DBs. So I’ll be interested to hear some of their takes on the decision to sign an even more expensive DB. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Good player. Was one of the classic small sample PFF darlings in his second year, not unlike his new running buddy Mr. Fuller. Numbers were off the charts that season, though he’s never really gotten back to that level since. He’s older than you’d think, as he only has 4 seasons in the league despite turning 29 in October. 

I think he has more value than Darby because he’s generally been pretty durable for a CB — pec injury that ended his rookie season before it started notwithstanding. And they paid him more than Darby got, so probably similar bang for the buck. Gun to my head, I’d probably choose Jackson for 3/$42M over Darby for 3/$30M. I think Jackson is the better player and he’s more likely to stay on the field for you, though you’re also taking the risk on a guy changing teams and schemes. 

That said, I generally hate spending big money on CBs. I also heard a lot of “team-favorable” fans suggesting it was smart to let Darby walk because teams with great DLs don’t need to spend on DBs. So I’ll be interested to hear some of their takes on the decision to sign an even more expensive DB. 

Do you know how the bengals were primarily using him? Was he shadowing 1s or 2s? Or do they leave him on one side all day?

38 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

$14M/yr....$26M gtd. Doesn’t seem terrible. A good, young corner for 3 years.

We did give old Josh Norman a 5 yr $75M deal after all...

28 years old isn't that young in the NFL.  There are also a lot of three year deals being given out this year.  Gotta think the cap going down has something to do with that, I just don't know how exactly it all fits. 

16 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Do you know how the bengals were primarily using him? Was he shadowing 1s or 2s? Or do they leave him on one side all day?

I didn’t watch a ton of Bengals (I can’t imagine anyone did), but everything I’m seeing in these highlight films people have put together has him very much primarily on the defensive right side.

There are a couple plays where he travels, it’s always with the opposing 1 (TY Hilton, McLaurin, the kid Hansen who inexplicably blew up for a couple games for HOU in December). But I think that’s a little unusual, he’s almost always on the defensive right from what I’m seeing.