Rams trading DT Michael Brockers to Lions

RaidersAreOne

Still only 3 years and about $8 million per. The end of his contract (2023) should be around the time Holmes/Dorsey/Campbell have a roster ready to compete. They are basically paying Brockers to be this teams Kyle Vanden Bosch. I expect them to draft DL over the next two drafts and have Brockers/Okwara groom them up. 

• Like 1

Details on Michael Brockers' restructured contract with the Lions

2021: $5.925M signing bonus and $1.07M base salary
2022: $7M base salary with $4M guaranteed
2023: $10M base salary

$11M in total guarantees

Just a $3.05M cap hit in 2021. 

Jumps to $8.975M in 2022.

That last year--in which Brockers will be 32--looks pretty easy to get out of.

This is a good move.  The 2021 DT draft is one of the worst in recent memory.  There are some players on the roster that could also improve our interior DL performance:

1.  John Penisini had a solid rookie year.  If he continues to develop his contributions will be significant. 

2. John Atkins was walking his guy back an pressuring the pocket when he got the chance to play but he never really became anything more than a rotational player.  He opted out because of Covid-19 but his return could be beneficial.  Even as a rotational player he could be a big help and he might improve with the new coaching staff. 

3.  Kevin Strong is a real wild-card.  He flashed flashed periodically but Patricia and his staff were too busy coaching the system to really tap into his talent.  He could really thrive with the new coaching staff.

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

This is a good move.  The 2021 DT draft is one of the worst in recent memory.  There are some players on the roster that could also improve our interior DL performance:

1.  John Penisini had a solid rookie year.  If he continues to develop his contributions will be significant. 

2. John Atkins was walking his guy back an pressuring the pocket when he got the chance to play but he never really became anything more than a rotational player.  He opted out because of Covid-19 but his return could be beneficial.  Even as a rotational player he could be a big help and he might improve with the new coaching staff. 

3.  Kevin Strong is a real wild-card.  He flashed flashed periodically but Patricia and his staff were too busy coaching the system to really tap into his talent.  He could really thrive with the new coaching staff.

Could not disagree more. The fact that we had to play any of these guys is the #1 factor (or tied for #1) in the defense being historically bad. For this year, we may still have to see some of these guys with significant PT, but by 2022 and beyond I want no more than for maybe one of them to be #4 on our depth chart.

Edit: by the #1 factor I mean the overall state of the DT position, the guys head of them were crap too.

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Could not disagree more. The fact that we had to play any of these guys is the #1 factor (or tied for #1) in the defense being historically bad. For this year, we may still have to see some of these guys with significant PT, but by 2022 and beyond I want no more than for maybe one of them to be #4 on our depth chart.

Edit: by the #1 factor I mean the overall state of the DT position, the guys head of them were crap too.

The DT position needs work. Lots of it. Until the Brocker’s trade they had a couple rotational players but no one that should be starting.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I agree, which is why I think addressing the front 7 in a priority in the draft. 

idk 100%. yes linebacker.

LDE 90 Flowers, Trey U/NE 94 Bryant, Austin 19/4 99 Okwara, Julian 20/3 00 Heath, Joel SF21    
LDT 00 BROCKERS, MICHAEL T/LAR 96 Cornell, Jashon 20/7 92 Strong Jr., Kevin CF19        
RDT 91 Penisini, J 20/6 97 WILLIAMS, NICHOLAS U/Chi            
RDE 95

Okwara, Romeo W/NYG

93 Hand, Da'Shawn 18/4 00 Harris, Charles U/Atl

Do you guys think Da'shawn Hand is a DT next to Brockers? If so we really only need one piece of the DLINE. LB is another story lol. I think corner is the worst right now. But we need to improve passrush playcall. Doesnt matter if we have von miller in his prime if we dont utilize him correctly. 

OLB 44 Reeves-Maybin, Jalen 17/4 00 McCray, Robert SF21            
MLB 51 Tavai, Jahlani 19/2 00 Hamilton, Shaun Dion W/Was 57 Pittman, Anthony CF19        
SLB 58 COLLINS, JAMIE U/NE 45

Cabinda, Jason SF19

Do we have a fullback behind Jamie Collins?????? OLB NEEDS WORKKKKKK

12 hours ago, NFL_Fan said:

idk 100%. yes linebacker.

LDE 90 Flowers, Trey U/NE 94 Bryant, Austin 19/4 99 Okwara, Julian 20/3 00 Heath, Joel SF21    
LDT 00 BROCKERS, MICHAEL T/LAR 96 Cornell, Jashon 20/7 92 Strong Jr., Kevin CF19        
RDT 91 Penisini, J 20/6 97 WILLIAMS, NICHOLAS U/Chi            
RDE 95

Okwara, Romeo W/NYG

93 Hand, Da'Shawn 18/4 00 Harris, Charles U/Atl

Do you guys think Da'shawn Hand is a DT next to Brockers? If so we really only need one piece of the DLINE. LB is another story lol. I think corner is the worst right now. But we need to improve passrush playcall. Doesnt matter if we have von miller in his prime if we dont utilize him correctly. 

OLB 44 Reeves-Maybin, Jalen 17/4 00 McCray, Robert SF21            
MLB 51 Tavai, Jahlani 19/2 00 Hamilton, Shaun Dion W/Was 57 Pittman, Anthony CF19        
SLB 58 COLLINS, JAMIE U/NE 45

Cabinda, Jason SF19

Do we have a fullback behind Jamie Collins?????? OLB NEEDS WORKKKKKK

I'm not sold on Joel Heath, Jashon Cornell, Kevin Strong, Nick Williams (should have been cut)... Austin Bryant and Da'Shawn Hand haven't been staying healthy. John Penisini is a fine rotational NT, he's not starter material. I said that when he was drafted and was one of the few who watched him in college. 

T. Flowers (two years left)/J. Okwara (rookie deal)/A. Bryant (two years left)

M. Brockers (three years left, voidable 3rd year)/N. Williams (last year of contract)/D. Hand (last year of contract)

??????????/J. Penisini (rookie deal)

R. Okwara (3 year deal)/C. Harris (last year of contract)

Beyond this year we have 3 guys entering free agency, a couple others that could be cap casualties, and no real starter next to Brockers. I don't see how anyone can feel this unit does not need addressing.

As for LB, we need help at every position. It was nice that Collins restructured his contract, but none of them are long term options for us. JRM is not starting material. Tavai is a dud. our "depth" is laughable. 

10 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I'm not sold on Joel Heath, Jashon Cornell, Kevin Strong, Nick Williams (should have been cut)... Austin Bryant and Da'Shawn Hand haven't been staying healthy. John Penisini is a fine rotational NT, he's not starter material. I said that when he was drafted and was one of the few who watched him in college. 

T. Flowers (two years left)/J. Okwara (rookie deal)/A. Bryant (two years left)

M. Brockers (three years left, voidable 3rd year)/N. Williams (last year of contract)/D. Hand (last year of contract)

??????????/J. Penisini (rookie deal)

R. Okwara (3 year deal)/C. Harris (last year of contract)

Beyond this year we have 3 guys entering free agency, a couple others that could be cap casualties, and no real starter next to Brockers. I don't see how anyone can feel this unit does not need addressing.

As for LB, we need help at every position. It was nice that Collins restructured his contract, but none of them are long term options for us. JRM is not starting material. Tavai is a dud. our "depth" is laughable. 

We assume Hand starts next to Brockers week 1 right?? Even if we draft  Barmore or Marvin Wilson/Nixon. (I like Osa) Flowers could be here for another deal if we wanted. I just think they have invested a ton in dline. Now in draft I think they go LB/CB/S/WR/G  . I did a Madden Mock and traded down to get Zaven Collins. Hurt 1st game for 6 weeks. Got to love all-madden injuries on lmaoooooo....TORTURE

But I think they have to give Tavai one more year at least. Maybe not mainnnnnn LB. BUT easily 40% of plays he can be on the field doing something. While we groom a younger guy. Try and trade later if possible or just ride out contract. Do you guys think we resign Tyrell Crosby I think in 2022