What's Up With Sammy Watkins?

bzane

Hi! Wanted to ask Rams' fans the reason for Sammy Watkins' disappointing production so far this year?

If I have this right, he had one breakout games against the 49ers, with 2 TD's, but that's been about it? I see that he again had 1 catch for 11 yards, and no touchdowns against Jacksonville.

I was under the impression that his lack of success with the Bills was due to injuries, and the familiar chaos and dysfunction in Buffalo.

Thought that coming to the Rams, with Jared Goff's considerable improvement in his second year, and with the innovative Boy Genius Sean McVay coaching the team, Sammy might finally fulfill the stardom predicted for him when the Bills daringly traded up to draft the guy in 2014. Or at least become a good wide receiver, if not a Julio or Odell.

Now this...? How come?

I don't think he and Goff have developed any kind of timing together. Couple that with it seems like they're trying to predominately feed him deep balls instead of working him in to the full offense and he's struggled to get going. He's also quit on a few routes and not sure that has endeared him to his HC or his QB. I hope they try to work him in better with some of the short/mid passing game especially some slants or screens where he can create and start from there. If they keep forcing just deep passes with him not sure how that helps him or the offense.

People need to relax a bit with all that noise! lol.....We were one of the top worst offenseses in the league last year as well as one of the youngest teams today.  Give it time...the Greatest Show on Turf part 2 is just at the developing stages.  We're only gonna get more nastier as the season goes on.  Stay tuned, Sammy will get his soon! The problem is we have so many playmakers/weapons to hit you from many different angles (Kupp, Woods, Austin, Gurley, Higbee, Everett....and we haven't even broke out our other weapon - Reynolds) so the consistency may not be as expected like you would see from other teams who have to rely on their #1 WR for their passing game to be effective. 

Honestly, he's looked good when he's got the ball. We've seen him give up on a route or two, but his frustration is understandable in my opinion. We need to get him involved in the short to intermediate game so that the deep shots open up.

He's not going to be an every week WR1 as Mcvay likes to spread the ball around, but things should pick up soon.

6 minutes ago, bzane said:

Interesting article claiming that Sammy Watkins is frustrated; that he isn't fitting in, while others are stepping up; and that maybe the Rams should trade him for Martavis Bryant:

https://lasportshub.com/2017/10/15/la-rams-trade-rumors-make-deal-martavis-bryant/

Bryant denied requesting a trade. The chance that either get traded seems small.

The chemistry isn’t there yet. Week 3 (San Fran) is what it will look like when the chemistry gets there consistently. We need to remember it’s hard for a receiver changing teams in the offseason (see Alshon, DJax, Pryor, Cooks {struggled more this season than not}, Decker, Marshall). All those guys was on their teams before Watkins was traded to the Rams. So it takes time. I believe he will get there and when he does it the Rams offense will go from good to lethal. Goff is barely missing Watkins on some deep balls. It has to do with timing and just practice. Again just be patient and we will see things start to click. Watkins is too good, McVay is too good of an offensive mind and Goff can make all the throws. 

21 hours ago, bzane said:

Interesting article claiming that Sammy Watkins is frustrated; that he isn't fitting in, while others are stepping up; and that maybe the Rams should trade him for Martavis Bryant:

https://lasportshub.com/2017/10/15/la-rams-trade-rumors-make-deal-martavis-bryant/

This article is garbage. Watkins didn't say a word about not fitting the offense....

18 hours ago, Flounch said:

This article is garbage. Watkins didn't say a word about not fitting the offense....

Well said, Flounch; you speak wise words, que mas sabe!

Upon re-reading it occurred to me that the author of the article is jumping to his own and personal conclusions, rather than eliciting Sammy's opinion.

I confess I am hopeful for a renaissance for Sammy Watkins in his new situation- Los Angeles, an innovative young coach, a second-year QB himself fulfilling early promise. It would be wonderful to see Sammy similarly flourish in LA after the negative workplace effects of his early years.

Thanks for your input, Flounch, and here's hoping for Sammy. 

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I will say this: I wish we made more of an effort to get Watkins the ball on quick slants and drag routes. I think he can do a lot of damage on those routes.

He can and bubble screens which still drives me nuts that he doesnt ever get any of them. Just getv the ball in his hands and watch.

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I will say this: I wish we made more of an effort to get Watkins the ball on quick slants and drag routes. I think he can do a lot of damage on those routes.

Once he gets the ball in his hands, he runs like a runningback. He's so powerful, I totally agree giving him the ball near the LOS and letting him make plays is missing from the gameplans thus far.

On 10/19/2017 at 12:28 PM, bertuzzi said:

Its one of those trades that was bad for both teams. Rams would be better off keepin their 2nd and bills wouldve been better having kept sammy.

He has literally been on the team for almost 3 months. He didn’t have an offseason with this team like Woods or Kupp had. The offense was installed before he got here. It’s hard to put a new offense in place during the season. A coach could tweak it but that’s about it. Then there is getting chemistry between Goff and Watkins. That will happen over time for it to be a consistent thing.

So again to say it was a bad trade based on not even half a season yet is ridiculous. That’s like in the NBA when some people started to overreact when the Big 3 (LeBron, Bosh, Wade) got together and those first 14 games they wasn’t clicking together and I think the team started 8-6. People were saying it was a bad idea for them to have joined together. 14 games in the NBA isn’t a big enough sample size. We saw as the season went on they started to click and ended up having success. I expect as the season goes on Watkins will start to thrive in this offseason and the Rams are having success without him being big right now. Coming down the stretch and even if the Rams make the playoffs, having Watkins playing great then would be huge for the Rams. So just be patient and not overreact because this wasn’t a bad trade. This isn’t Fisher getting Watkins with Keenum or Clemens throwing him the ball. This is a successful offensive minded coach with a talented QB who was the number one overall pick throwing him the ball. We will be alright. 

Archived