What's Up With Sammy Watkins?

bzane

8 hours ago, LARams91 said:

Once he gets the ball in his hands, he runs like a runningback. He's so powerful, I totally agree giving him the ball near the LOS and letting him make plays is missing from the gameplans thus far.

I agree with what you are saying, but if you use Watkins like this is there even a point to having Tavon Austin on the team? That is literally all Austin brings to the table at this point as he is a subpar receiver down the field and is only really good when he can get the ball in his hands close to the line of scrimmage.

Personally, I think Sammy will be fine. The rams offense is solid and it is only a matter of time until he has another big game. He isn't going to ever be a truly elite WR in my eyes, but he is talented and fast so he will always be a nice option to have. Maybe they just need to start working him in the middle of the field more, or get him running some shorter routes, but it is hard to get him the ball on screens and such because Tavon will obviously be the number one guy on those kind of plays in my eyes at least.

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I agree with what you are saying, but if you use Watkins like this is there even a point to having Tavon Austin on the team? That is literally all Austin brings to the table at this point as he is a subpar receiver down the field and is only really good when he can get the ball in his hands close to the line of scrimmage.

Personally, I think Sammy will be fine. The rams offense is solid and it is only a matter of time until he has another big game. He isn't going to ever be a truly elite WR in my eyes, but he is talented and fast so he will always be a nice option to have. Maybe they just need to start working him in the middle of the field more, or get him running some shorter routes, but it is hard to get him the ball on screens and such because Tavon will obviously be the number one guy on those kind of plays in my eyes at least.

We're using Austin as a change of pace HB, so it's not really an issue.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

We don't really use bubble screens in this offense. 

They didnt in buffalo either. They did in college and he feasted doing it. More my point was get him the ball at LOS if going long isnt goffs thing yet. Let him make plays.

1 minute ago, bertuzzi said:

They didnt in buffalo either. They did in college and he feasted doing it. More my point was get him the ball at LOS if going long isnt goffs thing yet. Let him make plays.

McVay doesn't strike me as the sort of guy who will change his offense to focus it on one player when it's working well as is.

It's working well as it is ? Really ? Not involving Watkins on offense is fine because we still win a game ? 

For me not using the WR1 in the offense show a dysfunction even if we still win a game. And by the way, we won the Jaguars game with the special team, not offense. 

Watkins needs to be involved or that trade was useless. 

6 hours ago, Flounch said:

It's working well as it is ? Really ? Not involving Watkins on offense is fine because we still win a game ? 

For me not using the WR1 in the offense show a dysfunction even if we still win a game. And by the way, we won the Jaguars game with the special team, not offense. 

Watkins needs to be involved or that trade was useless. 

Well, gosh- maybe they'll get Sammy involved vs. Arizona in the friendly confines of Twickenham Stadium tomorrow. I think he would have the best chance to do something against Patrick Peterson of all the Rams' receivers? Be a shame to waste a talent like that.

20 hours ago, jrry32 said:

McVay doesn't strike me as the sort of guy who will change his offense to focus it on one player when it's working well as is.

Im not saying he should either. I also dont think rams record would be any different as it is now if the rams didnt make this trade. Like i said this trade was unnecessary and the rams would be in better shape having that second next year instead of having sammy do nothing. 

5 minutes ago, bertuzzi said:

Im not saying he should either. I also dont think rams record would be any different as it is now if the rams didnt make this trade. Like i said this trade was unnecessary and the rams would be in better shape having that second next year instead of having sammy do nothing. 

I disagree. Even when Sammy isn't producing, he opens up passes in the intermediate range by stretching coverage vertically.

Sammy makes the Rams receivers fall into place. Without him, Woods would be the 1, Kupp the 2, Tavon the 3. With Sammy, Woods is the 2, Kupp the 3 (slot), and Tavon is a gadget guy that can be used all over the field to manufacture plays or be that decoy to make defenses have to consider on plays. 

2 minutes ago, bzane said:

Well, hey- I see that Sammy caught 3 passes on 5 targets, 0 TD's, for 42 yards today- third behind Roberts Woods and Cooper Kupp.

That's progress, at least.

He's still frustrating. He should have had a TD.

Archived