What's Up With Sammy Watkins?

bzane

On 11/14/2017 at 4:01 PM, NVRamsFan said:

We've already signed Tree, his contract finally hit the tracking websites last night so we now have $38 million next year. That's absolutely enough to sign Tru and Watkins and put a chunk of AD's contract on next year to lessen the years after on the cap. One guy neither of us mentioned that I'd love to bring back is Joyner plus there's Nikkel Robey-Coleman and Tyrunn Walker. Money is there for the big guys absolutely. Only reason I brought up cutting Quinn is we've all seen his play on the field drop plus the cap hit next year if we cut him before the 3rd day of the league year is only 930k ish, we'd save $11 million each of the next two years. That's the money we use to sign the likes of Joyner, NRC and Walker even have some left over for Sullivan.

Yea, we'll be fine. Demoff does an outstanding job with the cap.

On 11/14/2017 at 9:10 AM, WindyCity said:

Is Watkins going to be signed long term by the Rams?

With the upcoming deals for Quinn and Donald do they invest more at WR?

I have a feeling he's going to hit FA... through 10 weeks he has the 4th most targets on the team.

Eyeing him in Chicago, Windy? xD

3 hours ago, G08 said:

I have a feeling he's going to hit FA... through 10 weeks he has the 4th most targets on the team.

Eyeing him in Chicago, Windy? xD

If he wants to be here and has reasonable demands, I expect we'll re-sign him.

25 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If he wants to be here and has reasonable demands, I expect we'll re-sign him.

That would make sense... I don't think ya'll would use the franchise tag on him, right?

Also I read some "nonsense" that he wasn't happy there; you follow the team pretty closely, have you heard any of that or has he said he loves Goff/the offense and wants to be there.

Dude used to ***** about not getting enough looks in Buffalo, wondering if he feels the same way there.

12 minutes ago, G08 said:

That would make sense... I don't think ya'll would use the franchise tag on him, right?

Also I read some "nonsense" that he wasn't happy there; you follow the team pretty closely, have you heard any of that or has he said he loves Goff/the offense and wants to be there.

Dude used to ***** about not getting enough looks in Buffalo, wondering if he feels the same way there.

I don't know if he is happy here. The end of the season will tell the tale. With Woods out, he might see an uptick in targets. With that and the playoffs, he might choose to stay because he sees the long-term potential of this team with its youth (and McVay's staff). However, if all he wants are targets, he'll likely bolt.

On 11/22/2017 at 5:46 PM, jrry32 said:

I don't know if he is happy here. The end of the season will tell the tale. With Woods out, he might see an uptick in targets. With that and the playoffs, he might choose to stay because he sees the long-term potential of this team with its youth (and McVay's staff). However, if all he wants are targets, he'll likely bolt.

I think he is happy here. He comes from Buffalo where they ran more than pass, haven’t made the playoffs far longer than the Rams, cold weather, and knew that the Pats own that division. Now he is on an offense that will throw more, very creative, young coach/team that can relate to him, perfect weather/big city in LA, and a team that year one will do something Buffalo never did while he was there and that’s win the division and make the playoffs. 

He mentioned when he got to LA that he already has money and it’s all about winning and having fun. The key for him is the offseason in this offense. It’s a complicated offense. When McVay took over OC in 2014 in a Washington, they struggled year 1. It took a full year for Cousins, DJax, Reed, Garcon and the rest of that offense to get comfortable. In 2015 that’s when everything clicked. So while the Rams are having so much success year 1, let’s not forget there is still plenty room to grow in this includes Watkins. My belief has always been he will get better as the season goes on but in the offseason is where he really will settle in. 

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt the Rams will tag him.

38 million is not a lot of money when you have  a number of starters to re-sign. My guess is that the guys being talked about will average out at enough to blow up 38 million and that is not even taking into account Aaron Donald.

Johnson-14/year

Watkins-12/year

Joyner-8/year

Robey-Coleman-6/year

I guess the question for the Rams is to you invest 10-12 million/year in Watkins when you seem to have hit on Kupp, Everett and Reynolds. Those guys were unknown when the trade was made.

30 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

We have plenty of cap room to keep those guys and extend AD. And can make more with a couple of trades or cuts.

I think you are over estimating how far 38 million dollars will go in this market.

The free agent market is going to have a ridiculous amount of money in it. Multiple teams will have 100 million in free cap space to spend. Every single players contract numbers are going to go up.

The real question is are these guys going to hit the market? Because if they do the bidding is going to really drive up the price. I would not be shocked to see Johnson get 16/year and Watkins to get 14+/year. A combination of desperate teams and a HUGE amount of money to spend.

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think you are over estimating how far 38 million dollars will go in this market.

The free agent market is going to have a ridiculous amount of money in it. Multiple teams will have 100 million in free cap space to spend. Every single players contract numbers are going to go up.

The real question is are these guys going to hit the market? Because if they do the bidding is going to really drive up the price. I would not be shocked to see Johnson get 16/year and Watkins to get 14+/year. A combination of desperate teams and a HUGE amount of money to spend.

Not. Sure where you're getting 8 from. We currently have 51 with a potential 5 rollover. We can also move or cut Austin, Quinn and Barron and save about 30 more. We could head into next year with as much as $85 million. As I said we have plenty of cap space. 

On 11/14/2017 at 5:01 PM, NVRamsFan said:

We've already signed Tree, his contract finally hit the tracking websites last night so we now have $38 million next year. That's absolutely enough to sign Tru and Watkins and put a chunk of AD's contract on next year to lessen the years after on the cap. One guy neither of us mentioned that I'd love to bring back is Joyner plus there's Nikkel Robey-Coleman and Tyrunn Walker. Money is there for the big guys absolutely. Only reason I brought up cutting Quinn is we've all seen his play on the field drop plus the cap hit next year if we cut him before the 3rd day of the league year is only 930k ish, we'd save $11 million each of the next two years. That's the money we use to sign the likes of Joyner, NRC and Walker even have some left over for Sullivan.

I got 38 million from here.

Archived