What's Up With Sammy Watkins?

bzane

26 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I got 38 million from here.

Gotcha a month ago, since then they've announced the cap will go up between 10-12 million. Figure it'll go up 10 just like the last couple years under the current TV deals. Some sites right now are factoring us at 50-52 million depending on their preferences.

55 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Gotcha a month ago, since then they've announced the cap will go up between 10-12 million. Figure it'll go up 10 just like the last couple years under the current TV deals. Some sites right now are factoring us at 50-52 million depending on their preferences.

Then they could have enough to make the moves that you suggest.

I wonder if Watkins still moves on for more an expanded role if the money is right, but with 80 million plus you can dance with the big spenders.

12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I wonder if Watkins still moves on for more an expanded role if the money is right, but with 80 million plus you can dance with the big spenders.

Yeah that all depends on some cuts that may or may not happen. It really is going to come down to his salary wants and how much he likes the Rams coaching and the offense with Goff going forward.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If it comes down to money, Watkins is gone.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

This is my thought as well.

You have to imagine teams are going to backup the truck for him in a loaded cap room market.

I was surprised when they didn't extend him as part of the trade.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This is my thought as well.

You have to imagine teams are going to backup the truck for him in a loaded cap room market.

I was surprised when they didn't extend him as part of the trade.

I expect they will unless they're scared off by the injury history. That means that Watkins will have to make a decision on whether to follow the money or accept a good but lesser contract to stay here and win.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

You don't think he'd be Franchise tagged? I can't imagine your FO giving up a 2nd round pick for the dude and then letting him walk after one year.

I feel like the organization is leaning towards signing/tagging him based on what we've seen in Woods absence. If they believe he's going to walk, Josh Reynolds would have gotten a larger role in Woods absence. He had a good game vs the Saints and then tailed off. Watkins had his 3rd TD in 3 the past 3 games last week, 7th on the season. The possibility to finished with 10. The yards are indicative of him not getting up to speed until week 4-5. If he stays, he's a 1000yard 10+TD WR next year with the Rams.

Here's an interesting article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2749319-sammy-watkins-dropped-the-diva-attitude-and-got-his-career-back-on-track-in-la

As Watkins explains, Goff often asks him in the huddle if he knows what he's doing on a certain play, a certain route concept and—eyes wide, shaking his head—Watkins will admit he does not. At which point, Goff explains everything. Right then. In real time. And Watkins' X's and O's encyclopedia grows. The duo has reached the point where they're seeing the same holes in defenses pre-snap.

"He's a leader," Watkins says. "He can feel a player. He can feel our energy. Knowing if we don't get something, he can correct it on the fly. He can look at certain looks and get us out of bad situations. Right away, I know, 'This is a bad look. Is he going to can it?' Certain times, if you don't have a smart enough quarterback, he might just call that play in that bad look and I get f--ked up. So he's always protecting us on certain passes."

43 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Here's an interesting article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2749319-sammy-watkins-dropped-the-diva-attitude-and-got-his-career-back-on-track-in-la

As Watkins explains, Goff often asks him in the huddle if he knows what he's doing on a certain play, a certain route concept and—eyes wide, shaking his head—Watkins will admit he does not. At which point, Goff explains everything. Right then. In real time. And Watkins' X's and O's encyclopedia grows. The duo has reached the point where they're seeing the same holes in defenses pre-snap.

"He's a leader," Watkins says. "He can feel a player. He can feel our energy. Knowing if we don't get something, he can correct it on the fly. He can look at certain looks and get us out of bad situations. Right away, I know, 'This is a bad look. Is he going to can it?' Certain times, if you don't have a smart enough quarterback, he might just call that play in that bad look and I get f--ked up. So he's always protecting us on certain passes."

Jared sure sounds like a QB that has to have his coach call the audibles for him /sarcasm

Great great read. I'd be surprised if he left LA for more money. Especially from those that are rebuilding like Chicago, SF, and others. 

We either sign him to a deal or tag him. There's no way we gave up a second round pick just for him to walk at the end of the season. 

On 12/14/2017 at 12:17 AM, jrry32 said:

It's possible but unlikely.

Hmmm, Id say its more than likely at this point. He is the one guy who has a very uncertain future, and this is the exact situation that a Franchise tag is made for. (if you are the Front Office)

Archived