What's Up With Sammy Watkins?

bzane

I'm in the camp that REALLY wants to keep Watkins. He played 16 games, was great in the redzone, did all of the little things right and has amazing hands. That being said, the franchise tag is not the answer. With the way this offense runs, we can't be sinking that much money into a WR, and there's plenty of ways we could go if he signed elsewhere (ie Allen Robinson who probably won't be back in Jacksonville and could come at a discount after the injury). Really hope we get the contract worked out before the deadline.

49 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I'm in the camp that REALLY wants to keep Watkins. He played 16 games, was great in the redzone, did all of the little things right and has amazing hands. That being said, the franchise tag is not the answer. With the way this offense runs, we can't be sinking that much money into a WR, and there's plenty of ways we could go if he signed elsewhere (ie Allen Robinson who probably won't be back in Jacksonville and could come at a discount after the injury). Really hope we get the contract worked out before the deadline.

Did he though? Im not trying to dump on the guy, he clearly has the talent of a #1 weapon, and this wasnt the greatest situation (coming in without an offseason) but he kind of showed that he is just going to rely on his talent, and I dont want to be sinking a bunch of money into that when we had 2 more productive receivers, with a few other options trying to emerge.

27 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Did he though? Im not trying to dump on the guy, he clearly has the talent of a #1 weapon, and this wasnt the greatest situation (coming in without an offseason) but he kind of showed that he is just going to rely on his talent, and I dont want to be sinking a bunch of money into that when we had 2 more productive receivers, with a few other options trying to emerge.

I agree with not sinking that much money into him because the offense shouldn't be paying top dollar for a #1 WR when we don't feature one, but he absolutely did the little things right. He was a great blocker in both the run and passing game and took a lot of the coverage away from everyone else. He was a big part of why Woods/Kupp had the seasons that they did.

Honestly, I think once him and Goff get on the same page with the deep balls, that's going to be a deadly combination. I do wish that they threw him more short/intermediate routes, but if they think that highly of him to franchise him, maybe they will.

I am also among the few who want Watkins back. I want to see what he can do with a full offseason with us and see what kind of chemistry he can build with Goff. The problem is at what cost? I think a one year deal would be ideal for us. But I don't think he'd be so inclined to sign that, so the franchise tag may need to be the option if we want him just for the one year. But I think we can all agree that he wouldn't warrant the price of the tag. So it's really a bit of a predicament. I don't think it's in our best interest to sign him long term right now. And I'm sure he would want more than what we'd offer him long term anyway. I'm hoping he would take a one year "prove it" deal. The one thing working in our favor is that he clearly seems interested in staying here with the team. The guy clearly disappointed for the year, but we can't deny his talent and his effectiveness in the redzone.

I think our decision with him is up in the air more than anyone's with the exception of Tru.

12 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

I'm hoping he would take a one year "prove it" deal.

I see alot of people saying this, and I just cant see that happening. With all the teams that need WRs (CHI, NYJ, BAL, JAX, CAR, ARZ, SF) most who have a bunch of cap space, and a handful of others who could also try and upgrade. 

Our option for the "Prove it" deal is the Franchise Tag. Its that, or commit to him long tern if we want him to stay in LA.

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I see alot of people saying this, and I just cant see that happening. With all the teams that need WRs (CHI, NYJ, BAL, JAX, CAR, ARZ, SF) most who have a bunch of cap space, and a handful of others who could also try and upgrade. 

Our option for the "Prove it" deal is the Franchise Tag. Its that, or commit to him long tern if we want him to stay in LA.

Yes, I have to agree with you. I should have emphasized that I'm hoping for it, but I wouldn't necessarily expect him to go for it. It would be ideal for us--not for him.

13 minutes ago, Flounch said:

I won't sign Watkins to a long term neither but we had to franchise him because we gave up a 2nd round pick for him...it doesn't make sense to let him go...

I originally agreed with this, but now thinking about it, it just doesnt make sense. That draft pick is a sunk cost, its gone weather we resign him or not. So now you have to look at his impact going forward, the pros he brings on the field vs the cons of what his contract could be.

Sorry but paying a guy $16 million a year just because we traded a 2nd round pick for him is the worst sort of attempt at logic. We can't over pay a guy and we shouldn't over pay Sammy. I'm a huge fan but he's not worth the franchise tag in any way shape or form. 

On January 11, 2018 at 12:07 PM, NVRamsFan said:

Sorry but paying a guy $16 million a year just because we traded a 2nd round pick for him is the worst sort of attempt at logic. We can't over pay a guy and we shouldn't over pay Sammy. I'm a huge fan but he's not worth the franchise tag in any way shape or form. 

Then we sign him to a one year prove it deal for 7-8M. I have no problem with that. You don't just let a talented WR just walk, look what happened to the Bears.

3 minutes ago, Car_Ramrod said:

Then we sign him to a one year prove it deal for 7-8M. I have no problem with that. You don't just let a talented WR just walk, look what happened to the Bears.

So either he's worth a franchise tag or he can only get a prove it deal? 

18nl58invo9kggif.gif

I never said I don't want to sign him but a franchise tag IMO isn't the answer and he's better than a prove it deal. Too many WR needy teams for him to go cheaply this off season.

Archived