What's Up With Sammy Watkins?

bzane

We better franchise him. He came in late to camp and Goff already had built chemistry with Woods and Kupp in the offseason, but this guy has that WOW #1 WR take the top off the defense potential and a nose for the endzone. Woods, Kupp, and Watkins will be a top 3 WR core in the league for years to come. Franchise Watkins and give him the chance to put up the numbers he is capable of before we sign him long term. Would hate losing him

3 hours ago, El ramster said:

The more i think about it.. The cooler i am with letting him and Tru go..

Players like them just aren't worth their price tag. Keep Joyner, NRC our LS and Cody Davis..

Sign, Morris Claiborne and someone like Mike Wallace.. 

Let's not. I'm not a huge fan of letting Tru go, but if we do, we better have a better plan than Claiborne. And I don't want Wallace if Sammy walks. We could sign Smoke Brown or Paul Richardson for a speed guy if we want someone cheaper than Sammy.

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Let's not. I'm not a huge fan of letting Tru go, but if we do, we better have a better plan than Claiborne. And I don't want Wallace if Sammy walks. We could sign Smoke Brown or Paul Richardson for a speed guy if we want someone cheaper than Sammy.

I’m all for giving Reynolds more snaps too.

Playing devil's advocate: If Sammy were to walk or we decided not to bring him back, what are some good value FA's that you'd be interested in bringing in to fill Watkins' spot? Guys that aren't necessarily superstars, but are solid starters that could come in and be productive without breaking the bank (think the Robert Woods signing last year).

Two guys I'd be looking at are the two from the Jags--Robinson or Lee.

I think Robinson is the more talented of the two, but he may come cheaper due to the knee injury he suffered. I think either him or Lee would be a great fit in this offense, not to mention Lee would have familiarity playing with Woods in their USC days. I don't think either would be overly expensive. Robinson might even be looking to sign a one year prove it deal and bank on himself for a big pay day the following offseason.

1 hour ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Playing devil's advocate: If Sammy were to walk or we decided not to bring him back, what are some good value FA's that you'd be interested in bringing in to fill Watkins' spot? Guys that aren't necessarily superstars, but are solid starters that could come in and be productive without breaking the bank (think the Robert Woods signing last year).

I think Robinson is the more talented of the two, but he may come cheaper due to the knee injury he suffered. I think either him or Lee would be a great fit in this offense, not to mention Lee would have familiarity playing with Woods in their USC days. I don't think either would be overly expensive. Robinson might even be looking to sign a one year prove it deal and bank on himself for a big pay day the following offseason.

Internal option would be Reynolds. Free agents you could make a case for Paul Richardson being the best option. Also there's Willie Snead, Tyrell Williams, Albert Wilson or Tayler Gabriel to name a few lower cost options. 

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

Internal option would be Reynolds. Free agents you could make a case for Paul Richardson being the best option. Also there's Willie Snead, Tyrell Williams, Albert Wilson or Tayler Gabriel to name a few lower cost options. 

I also like Reynolds and would love to see what has got to offer as a starter but I'd be afraid to go into the season just assuming he can be good. 

5 hours ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

The cost for Robinson would be the problem. Lee drops too many passes imo.

4 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Richardson would be a nice fit. John "Smoke" Brown would be too, but he's had all sorts of issues the past two years. Tyrell Williams is a RFA. Wilson and Gabriel couldn't really fill that role. Snead is a slot WR. We could gamble on Mike Wallace outlasting Father Time for another year. We could also gamble on Terrelle Pryor or Brice Butler.

Ultimately, though, unless we have a lot of faith in Reynolds, I'd go hard after Paul Richardson if Sammy walks. If we have a lot of faith in Reynolds, I'd go after Jeff Janis or John Brown as competition.

Archived