What's Up With Sammy Watkins?

bzane

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

I would do Watkins for Martavious Bryant straight up if i had to, but I really like Sammy Watkins. Once he gets the playbook down pat I think he's a top 10 WR in the league.

Pick wise, we aren't getting a 2nd back. Maybe a conditional 3rd? But i wouldn't do it.

Is that a typo? Why would you trade Sammy for a less talented WR who would complain more about not getting targets?

2 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Is that a typo? Why would you trade Sammy for a less talented WR who would complain more about not getting targets?

I said if I had to. And Martavis Bryant is extremely talented, big WR that can take the top off a defense. His issue is they brought in a rookie to take his targets and like most WR's, he's a diva. Nothing new there.

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

I said if I had to. And Martavis Bryant is extremely talented, big WR that can take the top off a defense. His issue is they brought in a rookie to take his targets and like most WR's, he's a diva. Nothing new there.

Yeah, but the guy is clearly a distraction and one drug test away from a suspension. He would be going crazy in our offense with the targets Sammy has had so far.

I would honestly rather only have Sammy for the rest of the year than to trade him straight up for MB. Sammy is better in every aspect of the game and doesn't trash his teammates on social media and skip meetings.

3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I would do Watkins for Martavious Bryant straight up if i had to, but I really like Sammy Watkins. Once he gets the playbook down pat I think he's a top 10 WR in the league.

Pick wise, we aren't getting a 2nd back. Maybe a conditional 3rd? But i wouldn't do it.

I wouldn’t do that trade. Watkins I want him to be a Ram for as long as possible. I understand the frustration of him not getting targets but in this offense he won’t. He is playing that DeSean Jackson role in this McVay system. Go back and look at DJax targets while McVay was OC from 2014-2016? He had 244 targets in 40 games played. That’s 6.1 targets per game played. Now that’s with Washington not having a run game. So Cousins was throwing a lot. 

In this Rams offense it runs through Gurley and you couldn’t say that McVay offense in Washington ran through their backfield. So when you factor in that plus Goff spreading the ball around, Watkins is not gonna get the targets we all hope for. The thing that makes him perfect for this offense is he is better than DJax. So to me, it’s about giving it time to let it all sort itself out. Rams are thriving without much from Watkins but we all know eventually things will click. Watkins is too talented and Goff works to hard for things not to work. Watkins isn’t a selfish player and we wants to be in LA where the weather is perfect and on a young winning team. He will get paid too. So his incentive isn’t negative. My thinking is things will get better even if it takes into 2018 and having a full offseason, things will get better. But again by no means I’d trade Watkins for Bryant straight up.

9 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Martavis Bryant is exactly the opposite of what this team wants. They jettisoned Britt for being the same type of headache (except without all the substance abuse suspensions).

I want nothing to do with Bryant. He's one failed test away from another long suspension.

I would not trade Watkins at this point in the year.

• 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

My bad I thought he was out of contract after 2018.

Do you think Watkins is re-signed or does he test the market?

I'm not sure. A lot could depend on how these final games go. He's sorta rebounded with TD catches last two games but he's only caught three passes on five targets in those games. 

If I was Sammy, I'd probably test the market tbh. As a WR, it's really frustrating to be constantly getting open and only get a few targets a game, but that's how this offense works and we're not changing it any time soon.

Sucks, because I think just having him on the field opens up tons of other opportunities. When he was limping off on Sunday, I immediately thought how it would affect the other WR chances at getting open and defenses stacking the box. Maybe Reynolds will be ready enough to fill the role next year, but I really love Sammy on this team. Hopefully they work something out.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Is Watkins going to be signed long term by the Rams?

With the upcoming deals for Quinn and Donald do they invest more at WR?

Quinn might be cut this off season honestly. As for Watkins I hope so, we have money for him and Donald, probably Trumaine Johnson also if Quinn is let go.  Right now without a cap increase we're looking at $48 million in cap space.

4 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Quinn might be cut this off season honestly. As for Watkins I hope so, we have money for him and Donald, probably Trumaine Johnson also if Quinn is let go.  Right now without a cap increase we're looking at $48 million in cap space.

Ive broken this down many times. But Im on my phone and dont want to look it up. Bottom line, if we want to sign everyone (Sammy, Tree, Tru, Donald) We have plenty of cap space to do so. Its not that hard.

4 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Ive broken this down many times. But Im on my phone and dont want to look it up. Bottom line, if we want to sign everyone (Sammy, Tree, Tru, Donald) We have plenty of cap space to do so. Its not that hard.

8 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

We've already signed Tree, his contract finally hit the tracking websites last night so we now have $38 million next year. That's absolutely enough to sign Tru and Watkins and put a chunk of AD's contract on next year to lessen the years after on the cap. One guy neither of us mentioned that I'd love to bring back is Joyner plus there's Nikkel Robey-Coleman and Tyrunn Walker. Money is there for the big guys absolutely. Only reason I brought up cutting Quinn is we've all seen his play on the field drop plus the cap hit next year if we cut him before the 3rd day of the league year is only 930k ish, we'd save $11 million each of the next two years. That's the money we use to sign the likes of Joyner, NRC and Walker even have some left over for Sullivan.

Archived