Kenny Clark needs some love

spilltray

41 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Very interesting, he actually deleted that tweet with that breakdown that you are referring to

I think he realized that Randall gave up because he knew there was a penalty on OL downfield. You can see Randall calling for the flag before he runs away... Ha with that said you still don't know if there is a flag thrown and you try to make that play instead of running away.

I love Clark, he has been so dominant this year, he and Daniels are tough to block. The best part is that he is so young. He's going to continue to get better for a long time. If he can add to his pass rush abilities, watch out.

Just now, packfanfb said:

Clark has been phenomenal against the run. That being said, I'd like my 1st rd defensive lineman to touch the QB now and then. Maybe that will come.

Vince Wilfork had 16 sacks in 13 seasons as a nose tackle and he was a 3 time second team all pro, 1 time all-pro, 5 time pro bowl nose tackle.  I'd like my first round safeties to touch the QB now and then, but when a safety is a safety and a nose tackle is a nose tackle, I know that they're not gonna be getting to the QB often because that is not what they do because Kenny Clark is a nose tackle. 

6 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Don't you remember how mad people were?  Even after his rookie year, after he flashed insane potential towards the end of last year, people were wildly upset.  Can't tell you who they were because I don't remember, but everybody wanted Jack, Nkemdiche, Butler, Chris Jones or somebody else.  And do you remember how many people were mad that we "only" took Martinez that year?  Now both of them have been our best performers on defense this year. 

I was one of them...mad about the Clark pick.  I still kind of am.  We took a kid who is a run stopper at DT in the first round.  I felt then, and still feel today, that is a waste as those guys can be found later in the draft.  If you take a DT in round one, he had better be able to rush the passer.  And quite frankly, Clark is bad at rushing the passer.

Now, can he stuff the run and hold the point?  Absolutely.  With the best of them.  One of his best traits is also his long range pursuit.  I can't remember ever seeing a nose tackle that can chase plays like he does.  I've seen teams scheme to have a guy peel back just to slow him down now, his chase game is just that evident.

So yes, he is dominating in the run game.  But in order to justify the pick in my eyes, he needs to pressure the QB.  I don't even care about sacks, I just want some pressure up the middle.  You know Daniels is getting the attention there, so Kenny needs to show more rush.  And seeing how much he has improved from year 1 to year 2, it wouldn't surprise me to see that part of his game emerge.  Gotta love the youth and the coachability (is that even a word?) in that kid.

5 hours ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

I saw this tweet. Was pretty obvious that he was giving up/getting out of harms way. Maybe we can work out a deal for another teams 1st round bust in exchange for him. I'd rather see Pipkins/Hawkins on the field at this point -- at least we know that they're going to compete. 

The change of scenery trades rarely work, but I would look into taking on someone else's misfit for Randall.  Perhaps there's a scheme fit player that would fit in better with us.  Randall seems to be on thin ice here.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I was one of them...mad about the Clark pick.  I still kind of am.  We took a kid who is a run stopper at DT in the first round.  I felt then, and still feel today, that is a waste as those guys can be found later in the draft.  If you take a DT in round one, he had better be able to rush the passer.  And quite frankly, Clark is bad at rushing the passer.

Now, can he stuff the run and hold the point?  Absolutely.  With the best of them.  One of his best traits is also his long range pursuit.  I can't remember ever seeing a nose tackle that can chase plays like he does.  I've seen teams scheme to have a guy peel back just to slow him down now, his chase game is just that evident.

So yes, he is dominating in the run game.  But in order to justify the pick in my eyes, he needs to pressure the QB.  I don't even care about sacks, I just want some pressure up the middle.  You know Daniels is getting the attention there, so Kenny needs to show more rush.  And seeing how much he has improved from year 1 to year 2, it wouldn't surprise me to see that part of his game emerge.  Gotta love the youth and the coachability (is that even a word?) in that kid.

If you aren't seeing very good pass rush from Clark I don't know what you are watching. He is consistently moving the pocket back into the QB's lap. He's often the reason QBs are rolling out early because they rarely have a clean pocket. He's not penetrating and not getting those clean hits on a QB but he's moving the QB off his spot more than plenty.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Is there not value in a player who allows others to make plays?  I mean, if him freeing up Blake Martinez to make a play is what he does there's value in that.

Archived