Kenny Clark needs some love

spilltray

Just now, MantyWrestler said:

PFF disagrees with you. 

Good, they grade from watching TV.

Mike dominated that Vikings OL twice last year the same way he did the Seahawks week 1. He's not himself yet. He was just OK against Dallas and for what I expected him to be, I'd say bad at Minny.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

PFF, so take it for what it's worth.

Clark graded at 85.1, good for the #17 DL

Daniels graded at 85.2 good for the #16 DL

IS this season to date? OR week 6?

Nice play from Clark, good from Daniels, but GB needs him to be better.  More like top 8-10.

11 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

I like Clark too but why are we down against the run? Martinez, Clark... who’s not getting it done?

Because we play the pass. They are fine against the run when playing to stop it, but they are running what's called a base nickle, but the Nitro makes it more of a dime. It seems the preference is to line up in a 2-4-5 as always but one of those ILB is often a S. When they need to slow down a running game and come out in base 3-4 groups, they can easily stop the run. As is, they are playing to stop the big play.

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Is there not value in a player who allows others to make plays?  I mean, if him freeing up Blake Martinez to make a play is what he does there's value in that.

That value, to me, can be found in later rounds.  If you take a DT high, they need to rush the passer.  Clark has not, yet.

And yes, I've watched him.  Getting a one step push is not rushing the passer.  And it isn't like Daniels isn't getting attention.

I come on here to give props to Kenny for improving, and he has, by leaps and bounds.  I think he has a great future with GB.  And that still does not change my opinion that selecting where he was taken was a reach.  And that also doesn't mean he won't be a fine player.  

We can agree to disagree, and that's to everyone, but let's agree on what we are disagreeing on.  I'm not disagreeing that Kenny hasn't gotten better, or that Kenny isn't a good player, or that Kenny isn't super young and has a ton of upside, we are disagreeing on the value placed on taking a DT in the first round who is a run stuffer.

And if we are looking at making plays...I saw the name of Vince Wilfork.

Vince's first 22 games. (Actually 23 as he didn't suit in one game)

68 total combined tackles, 47 solo, 23 assists, 2.5 sacks

Kenny's first 22 games.

40 total combined tackles, 26 solo, 14 assists, 0 sacks.

Vince was a freak, though and the point of me showing that is to show how awesome Vince was, not that Kenny is poor.  Clearly he is not.  And I hope you all take away from this that I feel he is progressing nicely.

23 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

That value, to me, can be found in later rounds.  If you take a DT high, they need to rush the passer.  Clark has not, yet.

And yes, I've watched him.  Getting a one step push is not rushing the passer.  And it isn't like Daniels isn't getting attention.

I come on here to give props to Kenny for improving, and he has, by leaps and bounds.  I think he has a great future with GB.  And that still does not change my opinion that selecting where he was taken was a reach.  And that also doesn't mean he won't be a fine player.  

We can agree to disagree, and that's to everyone, but let's agree on what we are disagreeing on.  I'm not disagreeing that Kenny hasn't gotten better, or that Kenny isn't a good player, or that Kenny isn't super young and has a ton of upside, we are disagreeing on the value placed on taking a DT in the first round who is a run stuffer.

And if we are looking at making plays...I saw the name of Vince Wilfork.

Vince's first 22 games. (Actually 23 as he didn't suit in one game)

68 total combined tackles, 47 solo, 23 assists, 2.5 sacks

Kenny's first 22 games.

40 total combined tackles, 26 solo, 14 assists, 0 sacks.

Vince was a freak, though and the point of me showing that is to show how awesome Vince was, not that Kenny is poor.  Clearly he is not.  And I hope you all take away from this that I feel he is progressing nicely.

Heres a comparison of Clark to some of his counterparts that we could've drafted:

Kemdiche: 2 total tackles

Butler: 17 tackles, 1.5 sacks 

Chris Jones: 40 tackles, 5.5 sacks

A'shawn Robinson: 47 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 int

Jarran Reed: 46 tackles, 1.5 sacks

I'll admittedly say I would've rather dradted each of these guys before Clark. I really wanted Chris Jones. I will also say however that I'm okay with Clark, he's played damn good against the run and I realize the job he has doesn't necessarily shine in the stat sheet. 

I wanted Robinson.  And when I've watched Robinson, admittedly, it isn't often, but when I do, he's in the backfield disrupting stuff.  

I also wanted Spence, 5.5 sacks last year.  1 this year.  That one sack this year isn't making me look good.  :)

I know many people on here wanted Jones, and rightly so.  

But hey, like you said, I'm okay with Clark too.  He's been a lot better than what I thought he was going to be.  And he's improving.  

don't forget reggie ragland.

As far as clark rushing the passer... he's still valuable because Daniels can rush the passer and he frees him up to do that in base.

Last year, daniels couldn't get after it and didn't play in pressure packages.  This year, he does.

Ryan isn't playing as well as he did last year tbh. I still think the Packers front 6 is in very good shape, Dom just needs to telegraphing his blitzes & fix the coverage on the back end. I only noticed it a few times, but it must have been part of the Vikings game plan to run screens vs certain alignments.

Did you miss the part in which I praised Clark for his ability to run down plays from behind?  I took the stats that were available to me.

If people want to point to Daniels production with Clark next to him?  I believe there is strong correlation there.  And Daniels was awesome against Seattle and then hasn't done much...probably because of injury.  Make no mistake about it, I think that Daniels and Clark, if healthy, form a great duo.  I'm very much hoping that Adams can develop into another good one to rotate through there and keep those guys fresh.

I think you can point to the Run D in total to reflect a lot of how the interior line is doing, but as stated above, that isn't so good right now.  And from what I've seen?  The issues are not Kenny Clark related.

So, what stats should be used to discuss how good an interior defensive lineman is?  

In judging Clark's play, doesn't it all depend upon expectations?

He looks to be an excellent run stopper. However, he seems to have offered little in the pass rush to date.

Should Clark be expected to contribute more as a pass rusher at some point or is he is expected to merely be a run stuffer?

If the answer is the latter, Clark is well on his way to being a success. 

Archived