Cardinals sign WR AJ Green (1 year, $8.5M, $6M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

9 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Why would it affect Boyd or Higgins? Neither of them have expressed their complete disinterest in playing for the Bengals. 

Seahawks fans heard the same thing about Carlos Dunlap (over the hill, too old, lost athleticism, etc.) and that guy came in here and dominated from the jump. 

Dunlap was coming off a season where he was one of the best LE's in football.  He was disgruntled and dogging it, but still flashed his talent.  AJ doesn't look the same.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Dunlap was coming off a season where he was one of the best LE's in football.  He was disgruntled and dogging it, but still flashed his talent.  AJ doesn't look the same.

That's fair. It's also fair to point out that it was his first year returning from that nagging lower body injury. 

I think the reality is that Green's play probably falls somewhere between worst separator in the league and Pro Bowl receiver. And along that spectrum, he's probably closer to the former than the latter, but I like the potential for him in this offense. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I know this sounds stupid, but this just makes me think that the Pats got a good deal with Bourne (his deal I believe is one year 6 million, basically). Does anyone have any hope for Green moving forward? 

I do. Still think his lack of production last season was effort related considering the state of the Bengals and just wanting to be healthy for his eventual departure from the team. He's definitely no longer in his prime though..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Nix said:

Would be weird to dog it with a guy like Burrow. Didn’t affect Boyd/Higgins. He just really struggled last year. Think he’s lost a step and it was frustrating for him, things that used to come easy and natural are now something he has to work extra hard for. 

Green has always been too polished to fall off like that. I watched him closely last season as an outsider. It looked like an effort thing to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

This team in about 2013 would have been LOADED with Fitz, Green, and Watt, and 1st Round rookie Hopkins.

2021...meh

Personally, I'm a seller on Arizona. I have them at about 6-10 with the 49ers as the rebound team, assuming Wilson doesn't get traded.

Boo. Bad karma for a Browns fan.

Cardinals sign any WR they can get ahold of lol. 

I’m a huge Green fan, would be nice if he could get back to former self again. One of the most underrated players of our generation. There was at least two years I had him #2 to Brown, and Top 5 another 3-4 years. 

Unfortunately, kind of seems like an Andre Johnson situation. Andre was toast his final year on Houston and couldn’t cut as effectively anymore, and his year on the Colts confirmed what we saw on tape the year before. Looks similar with Green. However, I’m rooting for the guy, and hope he can show it wasn’t permanent, and recoverable. Cardinals are a nice little fun squad, lot of fun players and coaches to root for. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

Green has always been too polished to fall off like that. I watched him closely last season as an outsider. It looked like an effort thing to me.

I don’t think it was an effort thing. Green looked massively slower than usual and wasn’t cutting routes effectively. Had him in fantasy and rostered him all year so I was keeping close tabs on his games. Is it possible he was still recovering from his injury and might break out this year? Sure. Is it possible his body is on it’s last legs and he’ll be a role player on Arizona? Sure. And I think this is more likely. 

Idk I kind of like this pick up. Solid guy opposite of DHop, moves Kirk to the slot. This isn’t like a world beater move but 6M isn’t a bad move to try and revive a career. Like is 50-60 catches, 600-700 yards possible? I think that’s a decent possibility and a good upgrade for us at WR2