John Elway in the 80s was the Jim Carrey of football

NeptunePenguins

when did the 80s broncos prerelease a draft of their team that got heckled into oblivion by the internet such that a bunch of underpaid workers were forced to go back to the drawing board to rectify it while their corporate overlords rolled in their money takings?

actually that sort of does sound like the employment structure of football so carry on

6 hours ago, Starless said:

Also Jim Carrey has had a more consistent career than John Elway.

I feel as if we're not giving enough credit to In Living Color Jim Carrey. 

Fire Marshall Bill is one of the better sketch comedy characters of our generation. 

gifsauce GIF

John Elway's pre-SB career can't really keep up with this.

27 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

You can be both overrated and a Superbowl winner.

I know, I just wanted to troll a bit.

He got us 3 rings so he can be as overrated as anyone wants to believe. I don't think that anyone believes that he's a top 5 QB or a legendary GM or anything. Hell, top 10 even. But he's our guy and he defines our franchise and delivered us the goods.

Edited by Calamity_Cometh

15 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

when did the 80s broncos prerelease a draft of their team that got heckled into oblivion by the internet such that a bunch of underpaid workers were forced to go back to the drawing board to rectify it while their corporate overlords rolled in their money takings?

actually that sort of does sound like the employment structure of football so carry on

No, but we were given a pre-release of the draft that had him wearing a Colts jersey and that was changed in post. I guess the Colt was viewed too weakly, so they changed it to a Bronco.

• Like 3

Elway is my favorite prospect of all time. I really would have loved to have seen the alternate universe where Bill Walsh orchestrated a trade that made Elway a 49er in 1983. Who knows what happens with the butterfly effect, but at the very least Elway would have been with a better offensive mind. I don't know if he was the "Jim Carrey" of football in the 1980's, but if that's another way of saying he was essentially a one-man army winning in spite of other factors out of his control, then yeah. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

Now serious post time, I have no real way to really rank Elway at all. He is likely the one player I just wouldn't know where to rank. I did make this thread to spark discussion in a way, and I always see some people be like "He is BEAST QB of All-Time" and "He ain't even a Hall of Famer dude, he like original Eli Manning!". I am guessing it is likely between the two extremes. His numbers look crappy, especially at the start of his career, but he did make a bunch of Super Bowls, but those AFC teams in the late 80s weren't exactly juggernauts yeah. Meanwhile his two victories did come from a strong supporting cast, but most QBs do have strong supporting casts when they win the big one. This thread was also kind of making fun of a take somehow had about Jim Carrey and the Sonic movie yeah, but that's another thing.