Cooley Film Breakdown vs. 49ers

turtle28

8 hours ago, SeanTayorsaPIMP said:

I think Reed's blocking has become a huge liability. Add that to another reason on why our running game has been so stunted. What we actually miss is a Logan Paulsen type blocking TE in our offense. Never thought, I'd ever say that...

Yup. Cooley mentioned that our inability to run the ball really well on Sunday was more about how badly the TEs blocked (or didn't block) and that the OL actually did pretty well. Its just that when the TEs don't do their job, it screws the play up.

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. Cooley mentioned that our inability to run the ball really well on Sunday was more about how badly the TEs blocked (or didn't block) and that the OL actually did pretty well. Its just that when the TEs don't do their job, it screws the play up.

It’s more the TEs that the running backs also, especially on perimeter runs off tackle or even wider like outside zone. It’s not a new problem, it’s been an issue since 2015 the OL & RBs have gotten blamed by most fans more but the film shows it’s the poor blocking from the TEs who are the biggest issue.

25 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It’s more the TEs that the running backs also, especially on perimeter runs off tackle or even wider like outside zone. It’s not a new problem, it’s been an issue since 2015 the OL & RBs have gotten blamed by most fans more but the film shows it’s the poor blocking from the TEs who are the biggest issue.

Yup. He mentioned the Niles Paul goal line play and how the bad blocking by the TE ruined that play as it was a score (IIRC)

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. He mentioned the Niles Paul goal line play and how the bad blocking by the TE ruined that play as it was a score (IIRC)

Yeah, I listened. It was reed who missed the block. If Reed gets that block Paul gets a TD. Could have been Paul’s 2nd TD of the game if Kirk had seen him wide open in the back of the endzone earlier in the game when he went on to Pryor on the quick out which Kirk overthrew. Either of those options on that play should have been TDs.

DEFENSE

Kerrigan: C+

Had a sack but didn’t do much else. Cooley said he can constantly beat TEs when they are blocking him or using another player to come over and pick him up but he isn’t beating RTs on his pass rush right now.

Zach Brown: C-

Sees things a and shoots gaps burn sometimes guesses wrong. Drops in his zone too deep against tight ends, especially in 3rd & Long. He’s so fast and has such great rwnge  but oftentimes he’s guessing in ththe run game and sometimes guesses wrong. He is just shooting gaps most of the time. He is poor in recognition in coverage and often times blows coverage because he doesn’t recognize a back coming out of the backfield and has poor coverage on TEs a lot.  Great speed & range but not great in coverage.

Foster: C+

Made a few plays, had a nice pas rush on Ioannidis/Smith Sack. He didn’t do much else.

Smith: C+

Got abused a few times in run game. Got beat on a misdirection. He is currently our best edge pass rusher though. It’s clear he’s gotten better this offseason and has gotten stronger.

Ioannidis: B

Wasnt his best game but he was the best DL for us outside of Allen.Allen eats guard & C for Ioannidis, this allows Ioannidis to get the Sack.

Got put on skates on the goal line TD that Hyde had. Was really his only negative play, was playing way too high and got pushed back several yards and that’s where Hyde went for the TD.

Galette: C

Only player 24 snaps. Not Junior Galette from 3 years ago. Clearly lost some speed. Playing too light also, gets pinballed around.

Hood: C

He didn’t have much of an impact but Cooley said he had a chance to. If he had the plays he could have made he could have been an A in the game.

McGee: C+

His best game so far, missed a tackle which should have been a tackle for loss. He was good in the run game, pushed the pocket and helped others get free for pressure.

McClain: D

Got put on skates, took an inside rush once and gave up contain. Really wasn’t good against the run at all and didn’t do anything rushing the passer.

What  does Cooley think we will do with Allen out?

Cooley said that Ziggy Hood will take over Allen’s spot in our nickel package. That’s all fine and well for most of our nickel packages when we might have to defend the run on 2nd/3rd and medium but I hope we get our best 3 edge pass rushers on the field some by kicking Kerrigan inside to 5-technique.

I do hope we go with more of a “NASCAR Package” especially on 3rd and long. I’d move Kerrigan down to play a 5-technique, have Ioannidis at 3-technique and bring in Galette to play the OLB spot opposite Smith. That way we can get Galette more snaps and take advantage of Kerrigan rushing against a guard.

20 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Only problem I have with him is he makes too many mistakes in coverage.

Yeah, I said that to grant Paulsen on Twitter and me, him and another fan went back and forth on that for a while. He's basically a faster version/more athletic version of Perry Riley. Riley was great at blitzing, shooting gaps in run game but had poor recognition vs run, play action and in coverage. Riley mistakes in coverage used to cost us big time, now Brown's do.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I said that to grant Pilsen on Twitter and me, him and another fan went back and forth on that for a while. He's basically a faster version/more athletic version of Perry Riley. Riley was great at blitzing, shooting gaps in run game, had poor recognition vs run, play action and in coverage. Riley mistakes in coverage used to cost us big time, now Browns do.

They're dumb if they don't pay Brown. Just draft another ILB who can cover TEs. Let Brown roam and destroy people. 

Archived