Colts re-sign RB Marlon Mack

RaidersAreOne

I know it's only 1M above min wage - so it's not a huge risk.

But the bust rate for RB's after Achilles injury is as close to 100 percent as it gets.   Arian Foster & D'onta Foreman are the only 2 recent examples, but they support this as well - both have never been close to the same guy post-injury as pre-injury.   CB & RB are killer positions to get this.  WR's can actually survive, as OL/DL...but not RB & CB's.

I get the hedge/loyalty factor since he knows the system - but the Colts would be better off with a Day 3 rookie as JT insurance IMO and Hines as their 3rd down back.   Not the end of the world, but this a name-impact signing, where the most likely outcome is that he's done. 

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I know it's only 1M above min wage - so it's not a huge risk.

But the bust rate for RB's after Achilles injury is as close to 100 percent as it gets.   

I get the hedge/loyalty factor since he knows the system - but the Colts would be better off with a Day 3 rookie as JT insurance IMO and Hines as their 3rd down back.   Not the end of the world, but this a name-impact signing, where the most likely outcome is that he's done. 

I imagine it's "up to" $2m with incentives. Seems more like a good-faith signing for a guy who reportedly is a strong locker room presence. He shouldn't get much run behind JT and Hines anyways. 

19 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I imagine it's "up to" $2m with incentives. Seems more like a good-faith signing for a guy who reportedly is a strong locker room presence. He shouldn't get much run behind JT and Hines anyways. 

5 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Chad Forbes suggested this signing could be be a vet exemption. Meaning the cap cost is $1.25 M less then the cash pay. So in effect he counts $750 K while paying him $2M 

If it’s a vet min exemption then it’s totally understandable.  But honestly the most likely outcome is he’s done.   I don’t think Wilkins is anything but a JAG but I think he’s better than post-Achilles Mack.