Raiders sign DL Solomon Thomas (1 year, $5M)

RaidersAreOne

Just now, NYRaider said:

Yeah Key has never put it all together and I'd look to add another speed rusher like Quincy Roche to replace him. But I think he's also a guy that could be coached up to be a decent rotational piece if we don't.

I'm unsure if we still consider first round edge. I'm still thinking about Jeremiah Owosu-Koramoah, even though he's a LB because he can play as a psuedo slot/safety. If not safety and tackle are looking tempting for sure from a needs perspective.

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm unsure if we still consider first round edge. I'm still thinking about Jeremiah Owosu-Koramoah, even though he's a LB because he can play as a psuedo slot/safety. If not safety and tackle are looking tempting for sure from a needs perspective.

Yeah I think we probably go FS/OT in the first two rounds in some order. Teven Jenkins/Jaylen Mayfield/Trevon Moehrig at #17 and then either OT or FS at #48 depending on who we take in the 1st. 

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

I remember really liking Thomas coming out so went back and looked at some college highlights. Yeeeesh he was a freak back then. He looked so fast for a guy that big. I hope we can make something of him because he had so much potential years ago. 

Here's the thing I didn't like Solomon Thomas when he was coming out but that's because the scouts kept projecting him as a defensive end and I thought he was way too oversized for that(Which he was). But when I found out today is that 3T is actually what got him recognized in college in the first place.All of a sudden he has the potential to be a steal. It will be very interesting to see the defensive tackle competition between him David Irving and whoever we draft. 

Favorite signing so far. 

I always felt like he got stuck with a short stick in SF. 

Armstead, Buckner, Lynch, Ford, etc. They always seemed to be drafting or signing guys in roles Thomas would've had a chance to grow into. Then he got hurt. 

Safe to say, he could be the quintessential "untapped" potential type.

9 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Favorite signing so far. 

I always felt like he got stuck with a short stick in SF. 

Armstead, Buckner, Lynch, Ford, etc. They always seemed to be drafting or signing guys in roles Thomas would've had a chance to grow into. Then he got hurt. 

Safe to say, he could be the quintessential "untapped" potential type.

That’s what I saw too. He played DT in college and then they played him at end. He theoretically is what I like about Malik hooker but like the defensive line version. 

he has the potential to win the job but he’s also undersized so it’ll be interesting to see what happens with him.

Lindy's Pro Football 2019 preview said this...'Had only 1 sack last year amid his mental-health advocacy after sister's suicide.'

So he obviously was not in the right mental condition and also had some BEAST'S ahead of him. I wanted to kick the tires so lets see what we've got. 

9 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

My thoughts is he played on a defensive line that was so much more talented and didn't do anything. Maybe a change of scenery will help him, but he would be a guy that wont make the final roster

Yea but it doesn’t matter how many talented people you play next to if you’re not playing your natural position.

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yea but it doesn’t matter how many talented people you play next to if you’re not playing your natural position.

That is very true. Maybe he surprises, but I think hes still the long shot to make this team over guys like Irving and Hurst and Jefferson. Only so many spots.

I’d wager Solomon makes the team, barring some unforeseen setback in ACL recovery which apparently he’s ahead of schedule.. quality depth is something we haven’t had an there’s a reason why he was signed on day 3 of free agency and not after weeks and visits around the league.