Vikings sign CB Patrick Peterson

RaidersAreOne

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Vikings using void year for the first time on Tomlinson’s contract. And now I think this is the first time I’ve seen the Vikings use PT incentives. 

Wasn’t Reiff’s incentives (that he missed but the Vikings paid out) in his reworked deal based on PT (snap percentage)?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

They have successfully drafted zero OL past round 2 under this regime. So, it's going to be difficult. 

I think you and I both have shared this belief since 2004 or 2005.    The team has drafted Bryant McKinney and Kalil in the first.    This team really needs 5 studs on the line . . . If Slater's there and he'll play OG, he'd be a good one.    

Now, Rd 3 this year, I feel strongly about them drafting a hog.   Trey Smith or Aaron Banks should be the guys.   Meinerz is a wild card.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Woodson played CB until he was about 35. 

My mention of Woodson was more along the lines of how he revitalized his career in Green Bay around the same age, after a couple down years in Oakland. 

The problem with Woodson wasn't his play, it was his durability.  Over his first four seasons in Oakland, he never missed a game.  Over his final 4 seasons, he averaged 10.5 games per season.  He stayed relatively healthy in Green Bay playing in 100 out of a possible 112 games, 9 of which were missed in his final season in Green Bay.

3 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

Don’t like this signing much, he’s past his prime and took up the last big chunk of money we had. 

I’d rather have went for Adoree Jackson or bring back Mack Alexander. 

To me this looks like a signing from a GM that knows his job is on the line. 

As we write, management and Thielen's agent are working on a 2021 cap-friendly restructuring of Thielen's contract, and they are also considering doing the same with Harrison Smith.  And extending/restructuring Daneille Hunter's contract to pay him more to keep him with the team, will also be heavily weight towards the end, so enough money will be left to add a decent quality free agent guard (there are still several left), and possibly a FA edge rusher.  They'll probably get their 2nd safety in the draft with the first 3rd Rounder, or moving back up into The 2nd, and use Pick 14 for moving back to Pick 18-25 to add the 2nd Rounder.  Then they'll use the later 1st Rounder for Darrisaw, Slater, or maybe a DE.  They also still hope to re-sign Reilly Reiff for 6-7 Mil, if he continues to find that there are too many jobless guards for the job openings at decent pay levels, because all the teams are having to cut veterans to get down to the lower cap.  He might just decide he's better off to return to a system that he knows well, on a 1 yr deal, so he can go back on the market in 2022, when the cap goes way up again, rather than risk not not getting picked up at all, or having to play on a really bad team.  Also, Anthony Harris is finding that, because of his down year last season, and the cap crunch, nobody wants him, even at 8 million.  The Vikings are also considering offering him $5 or 6 Million to return.  So, The Vikings still will be able to continue to add some quality players.

• Like 2

I can dig it - really smart corner who is gonna be the leader in our DB room. IIRC our oldest corner before bringing in PP is 25? 

The Vikes really need to fix our pass rush in the draft or this signing might not look so great this time next year

• Like 1

I'm not sure how anyone can not like bringing in a veteran HOF-level CB on a 1-yr deal, no matter how he may have slipped in the last couple of years, even though the first of those years, he spent 6 weeks out on suspension and the other year was a pandemic year.  And also noted, that you have a fall-back punt returner if needed.  It's a win-win.

19 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm not sure how anyone can not like bringing in a veteran HOF-level CB on a 1-yr deal, no matter how he may have slipped in the last couple of years, even though the first of those years, he spent 6 weeks out on suspension and the other year was a pandemic year.  And also noted, that you have a fall-back punt returner if needed.  It's a win-win.

I forgot about the suspension. Honestly I have always “liked” it. It’s more along the lines of “loving” it. 

positive side, last time he went up against Devante Adams and Aaron Rodgers, he didn’t let up 100 yards.... 93 yards and a TD. I’m also looking at box scores, so who knows how long he was on him. 

either way, adding another HOF caliber player to a defense, two years younger than Harrison Smith, can’t hurt development of the young guys.

14 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

I'm unsure about this. They better be right, because that's real money. 

I doubt that ALL $10 is cap hit.  I think there is a decent signing bonus, and incentive clauses, that cuts it down to a palatable number.

17 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

I doubt that ALL $10 is cap hit.  I think there is a decent signing bonus, and incentive clauses, that cuts it down to a palatable number.

1 year deals fully count towards the cap, as there are no future years to spread the money around. 

We know that his cap hit will be $9M for 2021. $8M given between bonus and salary, $1M for play time incentives (which is viewed as a likely to be earned incentive, and therefor count towards this year’s cap), and $1M in an All Pro incentive (which is viewed as an unlikely to be earned incentive, and would be added to next year’s cap of it’s reached).