Vikings sign CB Patrick Peterson

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Totally worth it if he returns as an all pro. 

100%. That's why I said they better be right.....because every signing is an opportunity cost...they can't use that money elsewhere. Which, great. If he's 90% of PP, it is a great signing (in a bubble.....the OL or DL might still be bad).

20 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

100%. That's why I said they better be right.....because every signing is an opportunity cost...they can't use that money elsewhere. Which, great. If he's 90% of PP, it is a great signing (in a bubble.....the OL or DL might still be bad).

Oh absolutely. You gotta pick and choose. Hopefully they can grab a lineman in the draft that’s a capable starter. One thing I would say about the DL, improving the CB position should help the DL on the pass rush side, and the fact that Hunter (should be back) is going to help the DB room just from himself alone being able to generate pressure.

• Like 1

Peterson has been one of the most durable cornerbacks in the league, playing all 16 games in every season besides 2019. He has played the most snaps of any active cornerback in the NFL, which bodes well for Minnesota needing a consistent third cornerback to compliment 2020 third-round rookie Cameron Dantzler and 2020 first-round slot corner Jeff Gladney.

While Peterson has plenty to teach, he is also poised to learn a few things from cornerbacks guru and head coach Mike Zimmer. Peterson, who led all cornerbacks in the league with 12 penalties last season, is in the midst of a transition in his career.

Gone are the days where Peterson could shadow cornerbacks with his 4.31 40-speed. He’ll have to rely on technique and scheme to bounce back and make a possible return to the Pro Bowl for a ninth time in his career after missing out on making the team the past two seasons.

Zimmer worked wonders with Terence Newman, who also possessed elite speed earlier in his career, at the age of 37. With Peterson, turning 31 this summer, Zimmer could again get the most out of another veteran cornerback.

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/patrick-peterson-strong-statement-cardinals-news/?fbclid=IwAR14Wyt8--3QYrwEUlMZtM7tZl9Kvhv5HmPrDZ0COAVXQbdwhA2oknXXbkQ

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Terms of the contract. Just a bit different than originally reported. His cap hit will be $8M. 

i think $1M of the incentives (95% snap share) is "expected" to be gained, so its included in the cap: 8+1=9 cap hit.

i could be wrong, but i remember something like this. 

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

i think $1M of the incentives (95% snap share) is "expected" to be gained, so its included in the cap: 8+1=9 cap hit.

i could be wrong, but i remember something like this. 

Looks like the tweet is saying that there isn't a snap share incentive after all, but it's a team success incentive (instead of snap count) and then the AP incentive.

• Like 2

Peterson gets $500,000 for 70-percent playing time, $500,000 for 80-percent playing time, and $500,000 for 90-percent playing time.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/20/patrick-petersons-base-deal-is-8-million-for-2021/

this comes from Florio though, and he cites no source, which is odd for him.

Edited by vike daddy

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

But, I’ve been told no one wants to play for the Vikings...

I’d say this statement is kind of hard to argue but there is some points where I understand people not wanting to come here.

1. People from the south or coasts aren’t used to the Midwest. Some people can’t stand the cold. While there is plenty to do in Minnesota, for people that aren’t from around here do seem to find a way to just not like it. I moved from Alaska, I think this is damn paradise.

2. Basically because of #1, we almost have to outbid. Most of the Time, you offer a contract that matches someone like the Cowboys (see #4), the Rams, or Dolphins, the player is probably not going to decide to stay here unless we have a solid team. 

3. Tax’s are higher than a decent amount of states. It also snows here, and we don’t have an ocean. 

4. Not exactly a prestigious NFL team. I mean, you don’t see a lot of fans of kids say, “hey I’m a Vikings Fan” unless they have family from Minnesota. (Yes I know a few of you here are fans that have nothing to do with Minnesota)

honestly at the end of the day, the big savior for us is how well we have drafted over the years. If you can bring them in, there’s a chance they end up making Minnesota actually feel like home. We haven’t had to depend on free agency to build a team.

• Like 1