Jump to content

The possibility of keeping Darnold and trading down thread


Recommended Posts

We have a trade for Watson thread. Let’s discuss the very realistic possibility of keeping Sam Darnold and trading the 2 pick back for more picks this year and future picks.

In 2018, former legendary Jets GM traded #6 overall and three 2nd round picks to move up to #3 to essentially have your pick of the remaining 3 QBs after the Browns made your choice. At the time it was honestly the smartest thing he ever did. He basically got a jump on the trade up market and got as high as he could while not giving up a future 1. In hindsight I’d much rather have a future HOF LG and all them twos back but was still the right move at the time for us. Everything else Mac did was absolutely abysmal, hence his legendary status of maybe being the worst GM in NY sports history with how bad he set this team back. Anyways, ramble over. 
 

Our trade up cost is a good precedent to go off of if teams want to move up for #2. The demand for QBs might even been higher than it was in 2018. For me personally to go from 8 to 2 (random example) we need a 2 and 3 this year and next years 1 at an absolute minimum. Assuming we hypothetically opt to keep Sam, what would you like in return if we trade down? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is crazy when I see reporters saying a trade with Carolina would be Jets give up 2 for pick 8 a 3rd this year and next year first. That is a complete joke to me. If we move down to say 4 I want 4, 2nd this year and a 1st and 3rd next year. If we move down to 8. I want 8 this years 2nd and next years 1st and 3rd and 2023 2nd round pick. I think from 2 to 8 is a very big drop. I know I'm in the minority but i want Sam over all these rookies except T Law. I think JD is on the same page as me. I think JD said he would take calls on Sam because a good GM listens to all offers. What happended is a team offered this years 1 and next years 2 for him. You NEVER know what these guys are talking about on the phone. 

My thing would be to trade down twice say from 2 to 4 and then 4 to 8. That would give you 2 more first round picks next year and several more 2nd and 3rd round picks. Then you can grab one of the following guys. Most people say 4 QB's will be picked by pick 8. If that heppens all you need is 4 non QB's that you like and pick them

1. Sewell.

2. Chase

3. D. Smith 

4. Pitts

5. Parson

I think would be a great start. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

We have a trade for Watson thread. Let’s discuss the very realistic possibility of keeping Sam Darnold and trading the 2 pick back for more picks this year and future picks.

In 2018, former legendary Jets GM traded #6 overall and three 2nd round picks to move up to #3 to essentially have your pick of the remaining 3 QBs after the Browns made your choice. At the time it was honestly the smartest thing he ever did. He basically got a jump on the trade up market and got as high as he could while not giving up a future 1. In hindsight I’d much rather have a future HOF LG and all them twos back but was still the right move at the time for us. Everything else Mac did was absolutely abysmal, hence his legendary status of maybe being the worst GM in NY sports history with how bad he set this team back. Anyways, ramble over. 
 

Our trade up cost is a good precedent to go off of if teams want to move up for #2. The demand for QBs might even been higher than it was in 2018. For me personally to go from 8 to 2 (random example) we need a 2 and 3 this year and next years 1 at an absolute minimum. Assuming we hypothetically opt to keep Sam, what would you like in return if we trade down? 

It would not shock me at all if Douglas trades down a few spots for multiple first round picks and is still in position to still get Fields. I made a post this morning about Zach Wilson, that was deleted,  You HAVE  to see the teams that Wilson played last year it was a joke, no wonder he ran up crazy numbers. Just some of the teams he played were Army, Navy, Troy, UTSA, Texas State, WKU, North Alabama, Louisiana Tech, Coastal Carolina. Douglas, is going to take a long hard look at him you can be sure of that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

If we do trade back I’d want to end up with Sewell or Chase so that provably means 4, but I don’t know if Atlanta is in on the QBs

I don't think Falcons will take qb there.   48m dead money if cut Ryan in 2022.  Also I don't see Falcons will take high pick qb and sit him for at least 2 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

It would not shock me at all if Douglas trades down a few spots for multiple first round picks and is still in position to still get Fields. I made a post this morning about Zach Wilson, that was deleted,  You HAVE  to see the teams that Wilson played last year it was a joke, no wonder he ran up crazy numbers. Just some of the teams he played were Army, Navy, Troy, UTSA, Texas State, WKU, North Alabama, Louisiana Tech, Coastal Carolina. Douglas, is going to take a long hard look at him you can be sure of that. 

I think JD has made up his mind and will stick with Sam. He is holding his cards tight so a team will panic thinking they will take a QB and will trade a kings ransom for it. I think all these QB are over hyped except T Law who I think will be a stud in the league. Every year you have that list of QB's that will be the best. Ever year you have that one QB that is hot for doing it for 1 year, guys like Wilson, Trubisky, type guys. I would rather stick with Sam and if he fails grab a QB next year. If you are not in postion you have the amo to do so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

It would not shock me at all if Douglas trades down a few spots for multiple first round picks and is still in position to still get Fields. I made a post this morning about Zach Wilson, that was deleted,  You HAVE  to see the teams that Wilson played last year it was a joke, no wonder he ran up crazy numbers. Just some of the teams he played were Army, Navy, Troy, UTSA, Texas State, WKU, North Alabama, Louisiana Tech, Coastal Carolina. Douglas, is going to take a long hard look at him you can be sure of that. 

Steve McNair and Joe Flacco did it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Steve McNair and Joe Flacco did it.

Those two guy never played those teams. This schedule was make up at the start of the year due to the virus. BYU did not play their regular schedule. Justin Fields played the tough teams not these PATSIES  Wilson played

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think JD has made up his mind and will stick with Sam. He is holding his cards tight so a team will panic thinking they will take a QB and will trade a kings ransom for it. I think all these QB are over hyped except T Law who I think will be a stud in the league. Every year you have that list of QB's that will be the best. Ever year you have that one QB that is hot for doing it for 1 year, guys like Wilson, Trubisky, type guys. I would rather stick with Sam and if he fails grab a QB next year. If you are not in postion you have the amo to do so. 

I could not agree more, and it looks like Douglas wants to go young, even the FA players were in their mid twenties. There is doubt in my mind that he has not made up his mind who he wants at QB yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, doumeyer said:

I could not agree more, and it looks like Douglas wants to go young, even the FA players were in their mid twenties. There is no doubt in my mind that he has not made up his mind who he wants at QB yet.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The idea of a trade down both excites and scares me. Sewell is my number one wanted player. A move to anything after 4 means no Sewell, and even at 4 he may not be there.

That said, if a team made a mega offer for 2 it would be very hard to turn down. Something along the lines of first and second round picks in each of the next two years to drop to 8 might be enough.

We'd hopefully still be able to add Chase or smith at 8 and then we would have 23 34 and 42 to grab oline rb and defensive player. Plus next year we would have 3 firsts(ours, carolinas and seattle's) and two seconds(ours carolinas). Even if Sam is just the right level of suckiness that we win too many games we'd have more than enough ammo to make a move up to get a qb and still have picks to make the team better. And if Sam actually improves we would be locked and loaded for a haul of talent to take this team to the next level.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So far, JD is doing what he said he was going to do. He will make a decision on QB after the pro days are done. He may not announce anything, but that is when he will decide if Sam is going to be the QB or he drafts one. If he was sold on Sam, we may have heard the old “Sam is our QB” thing. I truly believe JD is just taking a very cautious and analytical approach to the QB position.

Keep in mind, the new coaching staff has only had a little more than a month to evaluate all the tape on Sam and the QB draft prospects. This is in addition to all the other FA and draft prospects. It takes a lot more time if you really want to do it right. We fans watch a couple of college games, maybe, or view a couple of YouTube highlights and come to a conclusion. I am pretty sure they are doing a much more in depth analysis. That is why they are paid the big bucks. Isn’t that what we want?

Either way, whatever direction the Jets take it will not be for lack of doing research. I will trust the move we make will be based on the best available information. I will trust that. For now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been pretty vocal that this is my favorite scenario for us, outside of trading for Watson.

 

Why I like it is bc we aren't a team that needs 1 thing. We need talent all over the place. And the more valuable picks we have.... the faster that transition to a good team can happen.

Furthermore... if we can trade back and add another 1st next year. That gives us 3 1st rounders just in that draft. Allowing us to do nearly anything we want. Trade for a proven QB. Trade up in the draft for a guy. Etc.

This also gives us a year to look as Sam more. Under an offense that suits him more. Hopefully with better talent and protection around him.

This can go 3 ways.

1. He plays great which is the best of the options bc we then have possibly a franchise QB AND still 3 1st next year. The hard thing to tell yet on this is if we pick up his 5th year option or not. I think he'd be like 18mill or something next year if we pick that up. For a team like us who has money... that doesn't hurt us much. We don't pick up that option... we can always try and sign him long term. Or even tag him.

2. He plays just OK. This would be the worst situation for us. Bc we still wouldn't have a clear decision on him.

3. He plays awful. If he plays awful at least that clears up if we need a QB or not. We'd also more than likely be drafting high. So it would make a trade up easier for a top QB perhaps. Also if trading for a proven QB that pick is more valuable.

 

For me I'm ok with a trade back as long as its not too far back. I think we have to come out of Round 1 with offensive help. So at the top of the draft that's guys like Sewell, Chase and Smith. The defensive side isn't exciting early. We trade back to 8 and the odds of 1 of those 3 guys still there are slim (still could happen with probably 3 QBs going in the top 7). But is obviously a huge risk. This team just in general needs talent. And for a guy like JD that loves to build through the draft... the more great picks you have the better. He knows he doesn't have forever to fix this team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Justin Fields played the tough teams not these PATSIES  Wilson played

Wilson also did not have a stellar OL, WR or RB. It is all relative. He played poorer competition with poorer players. Fields was opposite. If the competition was all that determined the success of a QB, then all QB’s from a few power 5 schools should be starting in the NFL.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...