The possibility of keeping Darnold and trading down thread

ekill08x

8 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'm totally cool with dropping down to 8, getting a massive haul and taking Pitts if he falls and having Slater as the back up plan.  I like Slater better than Sewell because of versatility.  If we need him at LG, RG, RT, Becton gets hurt, etc. I think he will be fine.  And we won't have to worry about breaking the bank on Sewell and Becton.

Not to mention drafting Sewell at #2 could create an issue with egos. If the Jets draft Sewell, itll be to be LT. Becton may take that as a slight since he played so well as a rookie. On the flip side, Sewell may not like being drafted to play "second fiddle" to Becton. 

I'm sure ppl will say "these guys are professionals" but anyone who thinks these guys dont have egos are oversimplifying things. Imagine being hired to sell Tires. Your 1st year you do incredibly well, everyones impressed; but the company decides to bring in some hot-shot whose never sold tires either and decides to give him your territory.  How would you feel?

13 hours ago, KodiakThunder said:

Not to mention drafting Sewell at #2 could create an issue with egos. If the Jets draft Sewell, itll be to be LT. Becton may take that as a slight since he played so well as a rookie. On the flip side, Sewell may not like being drafted to play "second fiddle" to Becton. 

I'm sure ppl will say "these guys are professionals" but anyone who thinks these guys dont have egos are oversimplifying things. Imagine being hired to sell Tires. Your 1st year you do incredibly well, everyones impressed; but the company decides to bring in some hot-shot whose never sold tires either and decides to give him your territory.  How would you feel?

With all do respect, we are f%$#ing 2-14. We need talent. If Becton ******* about moving to right tackle, let him. If Sewell balks at moving to right tackle, let him. They can hold out or play. You can keep Fant around as insurance in case one of them decides to complain.

We need to start creating a winning culture. Until that happens, the players will continue to go through the motions. We can't start worrying about egos before turning things around first, and being competitive again.

I am not saying drafting Sewell at No. 2 is our best option, because a trade down probably is at this point, but getting a plug-and-play O-lineman is almost too good to be true for this team. Ideally, that player would be a guard but if it's a tackle so be it.

50 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

With all do respect, we are f%$#ing 2-14. We need talent. If Becton ******* about moving to right tackle, let him. If Sewell balks at moving to right tackle, let him. They can hold out or play. You can keep Fant around as insurance in case one of them decides to complain.

We need to start creating a winning culture. Until that happens, the players will continue to go through the motions. We can't start worrying about egos before turning things around first, and being competitive again.

I am not saying drafting Sewell at No. 2 is our best option, because a trade down probably is at this point, but getting a plug-and-play O-lineman is almost too good to be true for this team. Ideally, that player would be a guard but if it's a tackle so be it.

Ya for Tevin Coleman to run behind. So it won’t matter

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 11:02 AM, canadianjetsfan said:

Let me ask it this way then. 

Would you trade Darnold for L. Jackson right now? 

Would Jackson be the same QB right now if he were drafted by the Jets instead of Baltimore? Or was the situation he was drafted into a help to him becoming better? Darnold was assumed better at the time of the draft, so did everyone just over rate Darnold?

This is the situation that should be considered. Would a QB have better long term success with a better team around them? Recent drafted QB history would say yes.

So are we better off with let’s say Fields (pick any of the potential first rounders) and some extra picks to improve the roster or Wilson with the current situation?

If you believe that there is not much difference in the talent of those QB’s then you are not maximizing your resources if you don’t trade back.

This is not dissimilar to how the second round was handled last year when Mims was selected.  

If they consider one QB a better prospect then the rest  that’s when you make the pick.

There are 2 schools of thought on which comes first QB or roster and both have their successes and failures, but we are in a very unique situation that we could potentially do both and I hope that management is at least considering it.

I stopped reading after you asked if I would trade a garbage qb for a league mvp

9 minutes ago, famousj said:

It more likely the Jets use Darnold to trade up than for Jets to trade the #2 pick.   I see Darnold going to the Broncos for the #9 pick.  Jets draft the best CB available at #9.

I have no desire to trade up for a defensive player.

If they are taking Wilson they need to build around him immediately, particularly along the line 

49 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

What else would we have gotten besides picks? 

It was a joke as KONY openly stated he wasn’t thinking that type of draft haul would of been offered. 

The deal Miami got of three 1sts and a 3rd was a haul!!! I think there was some hypothetical traes where we’d get only an extra 1st to trade down nothing like what Miami got.