The possibility of keeping Darnold and trading down thread

ekill08x

12 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Or maybe he just sucks. Both are possible. Which one are you willing to put your hopes on? And which one has shown us is most likely?

I’ve said my thoughts. I’ll be ok with any option Bc I think neither of them are a bad choice.

If I were the GM though I’d trade back stock pile a couple more picks this year and maybe a 1st next year as well. Now we’d have probably 4 picks in the top 45 (let’s say). Use those picks to help the QB (OG, RB, WR, TE). And see how Darnold does. If that doesn’t work and he looks bad. You still have a great situation for a new QB next year. Bc now you have a better roster to help that QB and have 3 1st rounders to trade up for whoever you want in the draft. Or even a proven young QB.

We draft Wilson and trade Darnold. I’m ok with that. But I’m not dumb to think he will succeed right away Bc we don’t have enough around him to help him succeed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’ve said my thoughts. I’ll be ok with any option Bc I think neither of them are a bad choice.

If I were the GM though I’d trade back stock pile a couple more picks this year and maybe a 1st next year as well. Now we’d have probably 4 picks in the top 45 (let’s say). Use those picks to help the QB (OG, RB, WR, TE). And see how Darnold does. If that doesn’t work and he looks bad. You still have a great situation for a new QB next year. Bc now you have a better roster to help that QB and have 3 1st rounders to trade up for whoever you want in the draft. Or even a proven young QB. 

To many ifs, too many maybes for my liking personally. We also know it isn't always just about helping the QB. Look at the Rams, they gave Goff everything and post-SB appearance he just cant put it all together and they moved on. 49ers gave Jimmy G everything and post-SB appearance he cannot do it and they are moving on. Talent around the QB and coaching can only mask so many things so even if we give Darnold "help" are we really elevating ourselves into contenders? 

Like do we really need to see more of this

Darnold-INT.gif

And here are the rest from just this year, clean pockets most of the time. Just terrible throws. 

On 3/25/2021 at 1:35 AM, KingOfNewYork said:

This is literally a lie. 

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2019/1/10/18176952/looking-at-adam-gases-history-with-quarterbacks-new-york-jets-head-coach

All proof of Quarterbacks and offenses improving under him. Tannehill's issue were injuries which is why Miami moved on. 

Gase was a bad head coach for us, yes but there is not a "proven" track record of him making QBs look bad. 

The article highlights his best stat lines as a coach but after watching it week kn and week out we saw how that happened. Short passes to inflate completion % seemed like tbe main goal of the Gase offense here. Sam would be 13/16 for like 115 yards that's not winning football butthe numbers look good

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoLewis57 said:

The article highlights his best stat lines as a coach but after watching it week kn and week out we saw how that happened. Short passes to inflate completion % seemed like tbe main goal of the Gase offense here. Sam would be 13/16 for like 115 yards that's not winning football butthe numbers look good

My point remains, he doesn’t have a “history” of destroying QBs.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

My point remains, he doesn’t have a “history” of destroying QBs.

Fair I guess...  I feel like it's even worse because the qb looks good on paper in the stat line  but doesn't contribute to winning plays and starts throwing the safe pass instead of looking for the open player past the sticks sooooo kind of ruined them. 

1 hour ago, MoLewis57 said:

Fair I guess...  I feel like it's even worse because the qb looks good on paper in the stat line  but doesn't contribute to winning plays and starts throwing the safe pass instead of looking for the open player past the sticks sooooo kind of ruined them. 

I mean that's only been Darnold under him. He wasn't a great head coach for us but he didn't run Sam. 

37 minutes ago, drew39k said:

For those going gaga over Wilson's throw...

https://twitter.com/NewEraNYJets/status/1375812941690380290?s=19

Darnold did it against NFL talent with pressure all around him instead of in shorts with no defenders.

Nobody is saying Sam can't make throws on the run and that was a really nice throw.  However it was in garbage time while getting blown out and throwing for under 180 yards.  One throw doesn't define Wilson and one throw doesn't define Darnold.  Darnold has been among the worst starting QBs in the NFL for years now.  Time to move on.

I wish Sam was the future because I'd love to have Chase or that FL TE whose name I'm blanking on at the moment and and too lazy to look up.  Both look like superstars in the making.

The vet/backup QB is mostly dried up. The only realistic options left are Alex Smith (injury concerns) and Nic Mullins (meh). JD might be thinking signing a vet will show our hand and weaken Sam’s value even more. But the longer we wait to sign a decent vet with experience who can start, the more I think we’re keeping Darnold.

There’s no way Saleh wants his QB room to be a rookie, Mike White and James Morgan. 
Are we painting ourselves into a corner? Any other FA or possible roster cuts that we could bring in before training camp? I’d still like to start a vet, draft a rookie and let him sit. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

JD might be thinking signing a vet will show our hand and weaken Sam’s value even more. But the longer we wait to sign a decent vet with experience who can start, the more I think we’re keeping Darnold.

It’s possible. But we had a vet last year backing up Sam. It would be no different than almost any other team that has a vet backup. In other words, I do not think signing a vet has any implication on Sam’s status.

We should hear something soon about Sam now that the pro days are over. It is possible we hang onto him even through TC if no good offers come along. Trading him if a QB goes down in camp is a possibility.  The point is that I don’t think JD will trade him for anything less than he feels Sam is worth. That may even include keeping him for this year. Not sure how well that will go over but JD seems to operate by his rules and not always conventional wisdom. 

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

For those going gaga over Wilson's throw...

https://twitter.com/NewEraNYJets/status/1375812941690380290?s=19

Darnold did it against NFL talent with pressure all around him instead of in shorts with no defenders.

Not the same throw. An impressive throw but the same one. 

Sam also chucks the ball into the middle of the field for defenders to have at it. Just scroll up a bit. 

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Nobody is saying Sam can't make throws on the run and that was a really nice throw.  However it was in garbage time while getting blown out and throwing for under 180 yards.  One throw doesn't define Wilson and one throw doesn't define Darnold.  Darnold has been among the worst starting QBs in the NFL for years now.  Time to move on.

I wish Sam was the future because I'd love to have Chase or that FL TE whose name I'm blanking on at the moment and and too lazy to look up.  Both look like superstars in the making.

Garbage time in the National Football League is pretty much the equivalent of every single game BYU has ever played with Wilson under center. At least there were fans in the stands booing Sam during garbage time.

1 hour ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

The vet/backup QB is mostly dried up. The only realistic options left are Alex Smith (injury concerns) and Nic Mullins (meh). JD might be thinking signing a vet will show our hand and weaken Sam’s value even more. But the longer we wait to sign a decent vet with experience who can start, the more I think we’re keeping Darnold.

There’s no way Saleh wants his QB room to be a rookie, Mike White and James Morgan. 
Are we painting ourselves into a corner? Any other FA or possible roster cuts that we could bring in before training camp? I’d still like to start a vet, draft a rookie and let him sit. 

I think you are bang on. I too would want a veteran starter, then draft a rookie (not at No. 2) and let him develop slowly and properly. Like almost all of the greats.

But Alex Smith is the last resort. Not signing him now for whatever reason would be a huge mistake. Nick Mullens sucks balls, and he is injured. No thank you. And so what if adding another QB right now diminishes trade value? Once Alex Smith signs with someone other than us, Douglas is backed into an even bigger corner.

Why do I have a bad feeling that we are going to waste assets by keeping Darnold AND drafting a quarterback at No. 2? That would be the worst decision ever. 

Instead, trade down AND trade Darnold...that way you can maximize the assets you are receiving in return with the goal of trying to place better talent on the field at all positions.

Time is running out here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Garbage time in the National Football League is pretty much the equivalent of every single game BYU has ever played with Wilson under center. At least there were fans in the stands booing Sam during garbage time.

Lol his teammates will be working in a cubicle or selling cars when their college careers are over.  He played against easy competition with players on equal footings.  It's all level in that regard.

He's not Jones playing with 3 first round picks or Fields playing within a great QB friendly system with guys like Olave.

Josh Allen was nearly the MVP if not for a great year by Rodgers.  He played against garbage competition too.  You can see he was extremely gifted though and worthy of a top pick despite that.

The competition argument is a tired one.  These guys play with subpar talent around them.  It's not like Alabama playing App state every week.  Wilson made accurate throws game in and game out into tight windows on every level.  He checks every box you can ask for in a QB prospect.  

Edited by Rockice_8

2 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

That is really a bogus statement. Check out some of these throws into tight windows. I don’t care if the competition are a bunch of tall 7 year olds, the receiver was covered and Zach put it in the only spot that his receiver and no one else could get it. When you get done watching, tell me how the competition had anything to do with those throws.  Also tell me how any QB could do that.  His shovel pass (2nd video) is not something that is taught, it is something a QB with confidence and quick wits does.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/byu/LongFormArticle/Zach-Wilson-2020-Highlights-BYU-NFL-Draft-157715697/Amp/

Unless we get an offer which is just ridiculous then I can’t see any other situation than us going Qb. That pick most likely will be Zach Wilson. 

Would be fun to imagine that haul we’d get from Denver or Carolina though.