The possibility of keeping Darnold and trading down thread

ekill08x

I've posted this on a few of threads but have not heard back yet.  Wondering about feed back :

Here is what I would like :

Trade to Carolina for #8 (Pitts), and 2nd or 3rd round this year, 1st round next year.

Trade the Carolinas #2 OR (Carolina #3 AND our #3) to move up from our #23 as high as we can go and draft best CB.

Draft IOL or OT with #34.

1 hour ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

I've posted this on a few of threads but have not heard back yet.  Wondering about feed back :

Trade to Carolina for #8 (Pitts), and 2nd or 3rd round this year, 1st round next year.

Trade the Carolinas #2 OR (Carolina #3 AND our #3) to move up from our #23 as high as we can go and draft best CB.

Trading up doesn’t seem realistic or logical if we are trying to fill as many holes as possible. 

• Like 1

Since I still believe we are going QB the whether or not we keep Sam, I have little input on a trade down scenario. I do like Pitts and if we were to trade down to 8 I would consider it a good draft pick. As for the trading back up, I would think one of the three top CB’s would need to be inside the 20’s for us to trade up. JD will not want to give up too many picks. 

19 minutes ago, xrade said:

Since I still believe we are going QB the whether or not we keep Sam, I have little input on a trade down scenario. I do like Pitts and if we were to trade down to 8 I would consider it a good draft pick. As for the trading back up, I would think one of the three top CB’s would need to be inside the 20’s for us to trade up. JD will not want to give up too many picks. 

Not a big fan of trading up .... but CB seems to one of the biggest holes .... Getting 1 of top 3 may be worth it.

2 hours ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

I personally don’t think we will trade up. I would imagine JD would LOVE a trade down if we are not selecting a qb at #2. 

Thankfully there’s a gold mine of interior lineman and I hope we are able to get a stud. 

There’s some really talented corners who will be available later in the draft if we don’t take one early. My favourite guy is Israel Mukuamu. 

41 minutes ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

Not a big fan of trading up .... but CB seems to one of the biggest holes .... Getting 1 of top 3 may be worth it.

Newman is rising up the boards so don’t be shocked if he was our pick at 23 because he may not make it 34. NFL teams overdraft CB’s to counter today’s passing game. Many don’t work out but some do. Do not be surprised if 4 CB’s are gone before we even pick at 23. There are a couple of decent 2nd and 3rd round prospects who most likely won’t start right away, but they may offer starter value in 2022. 

10 minutes ago, xrade said:

Newman is rising up the boards so don’t be shocked if he was our pick at 23 because he may not make it 34. NFL teams overdraft CB’s to counter today’s passing game. Many don’t work out but some do. Do not be surprised if 4 CB’s are gone before we even pick at 23. There are a couple of decent 2nd and 3rd round prospects who most likely won’t start right away, but they may offer starter value in 2022. 

Thanks.  I appreciate your perspective and feedback.

IF we keep Sam (and personally I think we need to plan to move on by next year because I don't see him taking the necessary leap), whether we trade back or not, the smartest pick is probably Sewell. I had to come around on this after considering that Fant is a short term bridge at RT but not a long term answer at the position we can be fully confident in. Having to potential Pro Bowl caliber tackles would protect us in case if an injury as well as put us in a stronger position come contract time for either. Sometimes the smartest pick isn't the series.

Having said that, whether we trade back or not, the series pick is Pitts. With Davis, Mims, Crowder, and Pitts our offense would not be one to take lightly and would be a game planning nightmare that carries a very reasonable price tag for the next several years. I might not be a fan of drafting a TE that high but is there a better offensive player in the top 10 that would fit what we have at this point? I'd say no.

Lastly...either way we go at the top...if we keep Darnold I'd want us to go all in on making sure we snag Harris with either #23 or by trading up from #34 cause I don't thinknhe drops that far. All the talk about how this offense utilizes RB's considered...if we stuck with Sam we need a running game teams are afraid of that they will bring an extra (non blitzing) defender in the box to defend. It will open up the holes he needs to complete even his most errant passes to this group plus Harris is a solid receiving threat to boot. 

Edited by Green Eggs and Sam

7 minutes ago, Green Eggs and Sam said:

IF we keep Sam (and personally I think we need to plan to move on by next year because I don't see him taking the necessary leap), whether we trade back or not, the smartest pick is probably Sewell. I had to come around on this after considering that Fant is a short term bridge at RT but not a long term answer at the position we can be fully confident in. Having to potential Pro Bowl caliber tackles would protect us in case if an injury as well as put us in a stronger position come contract time for either. Sometimes the smartest pick isn't the series.

Having said that, whether we trade back or not, the series pick is Pitts. With Davis, Mims, Crowder, and Pitts our offense would not be one to take lightly and would be a game planning nightmare that carries a very reasonable price tag for the next several years. I might not be a fan of drafting a TE that high but is there a better offensive player in the top 10 that would fit what we have at this point? I'd say no.

Lastly...either way we go at the top...if we keep Darnold I'd want us to go all in on making sure we snag Harris with either #23 or by trading up from #34 cause I don't thinknhe drops that far. All the talk about how this offense utilizes RB's considered...if we stuck with Sam we need a running game teams are afraid of that they will bring an extra (non blitzing) defender in the box to defend. It will open up the holes he needs to complete even his most errant passes to this group plus Harris is a solid receiving threat to boot. 

I was originally a fan of Sewell at #2.  However, the possibility of trading down to #8 (Pitts), #39 , and 1st round next year seems pretty appealing.

Our receiving corp would be very strong.  Using #23, #32, #39 to draft CB, OT, and RB fills quite a few holes.  Very strong OL gives QB more time for reading his options, improves the running game.  I think we are weak in CB need to take great efforts to secure a top one.  It may also be that strong receiving corp and OL opens up the running game so that we can defer that pick to a later round.

Having build this infrastructure, we will give Darnold all the tools he would need to succeed, if he doesn't we will know that QB is something we can address next year.  With 3 #1's we should go a long way to being competitive in 2 years.

Just curious, which do we have a bigger hole OT or IG?  With the trade down I propose, which positions in order of priority would you like to see addressed.  I know this depends on BPA, but if it were just a draft board at this point is what I am interesting in hearing your opinion.

45 minutes ago, xrade said:

Newman is very intelligent but oh boy his injury history kills him.  17 games over 3 years.

Edited by JetsandI