The possibility of keeping Darnold and trading down thread

ekill08x

1 hour ago, Greene N White said:

Sadly I’d say there’s a very realistic chance they keep darnold.

Maybe, but it should not prevent us from picking a QB at 2 or anywhere else in the draft. Why can’t we have a rookie QB and keep Sam?  It may be a little unorthodox but not unheard of.

What is we really know without speculation?  We know Sam has not performed well. Arguments can be made to why but the results are there. We know JD and the coaching staff are not really invested in Sam because they did not draft him. We know JD will listen to offers for any player. It does not mean said player is being shopped. It means JD is doing his job. We know JD said he will wait until OSU and BYU pro days. For what, we may not know. But I tend to trust JD on his word since his actions seem to jive with what little he says.

All this means we may or may not keep Sam. We don’t know if he even received offers for Sam. We don’t know if he even wants to get rid of Sam. Could he draft a QB to sit for a bit and start Sam?  It would be a safe play. If Sam does well we could trade him mid season for better compensation. Selling low is bad business. Then there is the comp pick in 2023 if he does well on another team if we let him walk. The only real tough choice would be if Sam completely balls out and we spent a #2 in a rookie. Then what?  It would be a good predicament to be in and I will not waste my time thinking about that at this juncture. 

11 hours ago, KodiakThunder said:

I get the feeling the guy JD loves most is a guy like Rayshawn Slater. He can play any position on the line at a high level. Scouts rave about his technique and feet, while also slated to go 5-10. He could easily upgrade several oline positions, with a long term plan of moving him to tackle if we start with him inside. 

I could see Carolina giving us a 1st (8), 2nd, 2022 1st and 3rd. 

If we decide to trade down, longterm we could be incredibly good if the extra picks pan out... at the end of the day the more talent on a roster (acquired mostly by picks) is the more likely to have success. 

The jets now face the biggest dilemma in all of football.  The QB or the team.  Do the jets grab a QB they love on a team with minimal talent compared to the rest of the league? Or do they first invest in the team as a whole in order to provide a lesser renowned QB a  better opportunity.  Both work and yet both often fail. 

I'm totally cool with dropping down to 8, getting a massive haul and taking Pitts if he falls and having Slater as the back up plan.  I like Slater better than Sewell because of versatility.  If we need him at LG, RG, RT, Becton gets hurt, etc. I think he will be fine.  And we won't have to worry about breaking the bank on Sewell and Becton.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/25/zach-wilsons-pro-day-a-huge-moment-in-jets-qb-decision/

“The feeling in league circles is the Jets are going to trade Darnold and draft Wilson. There is a feeling among people around the league that Douglas is a fan of Wilson while members of the new Jets coaching staff are advocating for keeping Darnold.”

lol

2 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

There better not be any type of “feeling” that our GM and coaches aren’t on the same page.

Stupid/funny article 

Not a single beat writer had the scoop on any of our free agents and they think anyone will believe there's a split front office on the future of the Quarterback position. 

New York beat writers really hate not being in the know.