Build The Board - # 7

Texas_OutLaw7

Who is the highest ranking 1st round on the Dallas Cowboys Big Board   

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who is #7?

• No additional 1st round talent remains, move onto round 2.
    • QB - T. Lance, North Dakota State
    • QB - Z. Wilson, BYU
    • QB - J. Fields, Ohio State
    • RB - T. Etienne, Clemson
    • RB - N. Harris, Alabama
    • WR - D. Smith, Alabama
    • WR - K. Toney, Florida
    • OL - C. Darrisaw, Virginia Tech
    • OL - A. Vera-Tucker, USC
    • EDGE - A. Ojulari, Georgia
    • EDGE - G. Rousseau, Miami
    • DL - D. Nixon, Iowa
    • DL - C. Barmore, Alabama
    • LB - M. Parsons, Penn State
    • LB - J. Owusu-Koramoah, Notre Dame
    • CB - J. Horn, Soth Carolina
    • CB - P. Surtain, Alabama
    • CB - C. Farley, Virginia Tech
    • S - T Moehring, TCU

Congrats!

Jerry called, he just named you the GM of the Dallas Cowboys and your first task --> Building the Big Board. The scouts have submitted the reports, now it is up to you to build it.

[You are free to build the board as you see fit: Evaluate character; deduce scheme fit; weight need; determine positional value; etc.]

1st Round Big Board:

1. T. Lawrence, Clemson, QB
  2. P. Sewell, Oregon, OL
  3. K. Pitts, Florida, TE
  4. J. Chase, LSU, WR
  5. J. Waddle, Alabama, WR
  6. R. Slater, Northwestern, OL

5 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I don't understand this pick.

I get he is fast. But he also took a year off. Everything I read is he is 'raw' or 'unpolished' -- is this a potential play?

I think he is, yes. I think he and Surtain are going to compete to be the first CB taken this year.

27 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

What's the argument for fields over Wilson?

I'm still deciding between one of the QBs, Smith, or hmm...

I'm more a fan of his game. Reminds me of a more athletic Dak.

He played against some good competition.

I believe he went from a little overrated to now underrated where some mocks have Mac Jones going over him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Not even remotely. It's a general question for that reason. I'll spend significantly more time reading about prospects than watching highlight clips. 

Its why I rely so heavily on you fine folks. 

I wasn’t asking to be a prick.

I had the same attitude when I first saw Dane Brugler mock Caleb Farley #6 a while back. I thought, how could an opt-out guy who only has two years of experience at the position possibly be a good enough football player to be picked in the top-10?

And then I watched him. Farley is a baller, with special athleticism and a playmakers instincts.

I wouldn’t blame anyone, including the Cowboys, for being too nervous to draft him. But that is a dude you might really wind up kicking yourself for passing on.

15 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

I'm more a fan of his game. Reminds me of a more athletic Dak.

He played against some good competition.

I believe he went from a little overrated to now underrated where some mocks have Mac Jones going over him.

Yeah this is where I'm at. I totally get the appeal of Wilson, I just people are overthinking Fields. Like you said, moves well in and out of the pocket, faced and dismissed tough competition. I may be overrating the Clemson game but he does seem to have that "it" factor, ability to step it up in a big spot- just seems like all you'd want in a Top 5 QB prospect for the modern game.

9 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I wasn’t asking to be a prick.

I had the same attitude when I first saw Dane Brugler mock Caleb Farley #6 a while back. I thought, how could an opt-out guy who only has two years of experience at the position possibly be a good enough football player to be picked in the top-10?

And then I watched him. Farley is a baller, with special athleticism and a playmakers instincts.

I wouldn’t blame anyone, including the Cowboys, for being too nervous to draft him. But that is a dude you might really wind up kicking yourself for passing on.

All good. Being transparent. I've caught Florida games and major games. I can't tell you about a player that didn't play this past year. It's part of the reason I enjoy reading the insights here. 

You seem pretty high on Farley. But voted for Fields. What broke you that way?

35 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Yeah this is where I'm at. I totally get the appeal of Wilson, I just people are overthinking Fields. Like you said, moves well in and out of the pocket, faced and dismissed tough competition. I may be overrating the Clemson game but he does seem to have that "it" factor, ability to step it up in a big spot- just seems like all you'd want in a Top 5 QB prospect for the modern game.

not to mention, looks like he just ran 4.41 training for his pro day.

He got hyped up too much after that Clemson game and talk of maybe him going #1. He isnt above Lawrence.

However, this fall after the bama game is a bit too much. 

Just something about Fields that I like and I really do think his comp is a more athletic Dak and is a better passer coming out of college than Dak was.