Justice League Snyder Cut (Spoilers!)

Acgott

I watched parts 1-3.   Ill finish the rest tonight.

Thus far, it is definitely vastly superior to the Whedon cut.   I actually find myself caring and invested in the story, which I didnt at all in the orginal.

That being said, the movie still has several of the same issues (which I expected)....just maybe not as pronounced.

Ill give my full review after I finish.

25 minutes ago, Acgott said:

My only thing was why show Darkseid being defeated in 5 seconds. No buildup at all for that.

Kinda thought the same thing, but maybe he wasnt quite the all powerful Darkseid at that point.

Just now, 43M said:

Kinda thought the same thing, but maybe he wasnt quite the all powerful Darkseid at that point.

Yeah, but at least have him trying to fight back to get on the field, and not dragged off by parademons of all things. Maybe he has his son or stepenwolf forcing him off as the battle is lost. My little nitpick of the beginning.

• Like 1

Thought he was still Uxas at that point (pretty sure Snyder said that last year), so he didn't have the power of the Omega Force, but Diana calling him Darkseid makes me question that.

But still a lame exit even for Uxas. Went down pretty easily after killing the GL.

I'm almost an hour in and it's already a marked improvement on the original. The WW hostage scene alone was done MUCH better in ZSJL, it's almost like reshoots add a whole new context or something. I remember being scoffed at when I said there'd be notable differences in Whedon's repurposed (read: butchered) version.

So much better. A great movie? Nah.

-The story jumped around too much in the first half

-Some scenes were obviously unnecessary being 4 hours long (like the Arthur-Vulko scene)

-I feel like the Knightmare sequence being at the end was weird and came off as pure fan service. I think it could have been utilized in the 3rd act battle...though it might have slowed down the climax too much. Still, that could have been put to better use IMO

-Martian Manhunter (wish he had introduced himself as J'onn J'onzz) brought no substance to his scene. Wish that had been written with some juicier stuff

-Cyborg's story was awesome

-Everything about Steppenwolf and the paradedemons was far better

-Darkseid was done well outside of his quick defeat during the history lesson. Though it also made no apparent sense for him to just watch everything happen from the other side of the Boom Tube. Why not go through?

-Loved the new context to everything. Not nearly as "Justice League + deleted scenes" as I was afraid it would be. Whedon and WB really messed up with pretty much all of their changes

-However...there's no way to release this movie in theaters. Gotta be able to tell this kind of story in an absolute MAX of 180 minutes. Definitely some fat that could have been trimmed, but hard to see this still being mostly well-received at less than 3 hours

-Hindsight is 20/20, but releasing the Ultimate Cut of BvS and then a 2h 45m - 3h version of this would have DC in a much better spot.

-I'd love to see this do really well and convince WB to pony up for Snyder to finish his story...but it won't happen. Seeing this was worth the wait though

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I'd love to see this do really well and convince WB to pony up for Snyder to finish his story...but it won't happen. Seeing this was worth the wait though

dont be so sure. This was a subscriber grab and it has already doubled their count. It wouldn't be surprising if they attempted to create future features with DC and Snyder to keep counts high and climbing 

• Like 1

I was shocked at just how different it was.

Some of it was being free reign with showing it all for 4 hours.

But everyone got their due, made you care way more. Steppenwolf became a little more 3 Dimensional of a character, that on top of the CG improvement greatly helped. 

Seeing the Cyborg story was really good, and that missing explains a lot. Snyder wrote him as the heart of his version. So Whedon temple of dooming him out explains partly why the original was so hollow. (On top of a lot of other reasons)

Enjoyed more Barry, Ezra’s probably not everyones thing for that role...but he was fun.

Every single sequence was better from the vague memory I have of the mess of the theatrical cut. Could be giving it too much credit though.

It was incredibly Snyder in style, but as someone who doesn’t mind and even likes a lot of his work for what it is that was fine.

Had this been more like what we got in theaters I think way more people would’ve been down for the future DCEU branching from this, setup a lot of stuff well. Barry’s time ability, Diana needing to go home, Aquaman embracing his heritage, A reason to even remember Cyborg existed...

The Nightmare world was awkwardly placed. I think there was better ways to do that. The Martian Manhunter stuff was kinda forced at the end, wish they’d of kept it to just the one in the middle of the movie. The Atom setup was a fun surprise.

If I had to fix anything I would’ve made it Steppenwolf’s fault Darkseid was defeated in the flashback scene. Maybe that was the case and I missed it. That would’ve explained why he was shunned and would’ve made Darkseid not so lackluster in that flashback. That and some of the effects, namely clean up some of the with how Cyborg looked moving sometimes.

Glad they let him do this, still just amazed how bad they messed it up.

19 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

If I had to fix anything I would’ve made it Steppenwolf’s fault Darkseid was defeated in the flashback scene. Maybe that was the case and I missed it. That would’ve explained why he was shunned and would’ve made Darkseid not so lackluster in that flashback.

Did they ever say why Steppenwolf was shunned? If they did then I missed it. Like you said, would have been cool if they showed it being Steppenwolf's fault they lost the battle during the initial invasion.

It is impossible to rate this cause it was so long that the drinking just got heavier and heavier until I’m not sure what I watched. Wasn’t terrible I guess. I play by played it to my friend roasting the first part like I did with Wonder Woman 1984

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Did they ever say why Steppenwolf was shunned? If they did then I missed it. Like you said, would have been cool if they showed it being Steppenwolf's fault they lost the battle during the initial invasion.

He was doing it all to get back in their good graces for something he did. They treated him like he was the f’up of the group, always talking down to him. Like I said maybe I missed them saying what he did to piss them off.