Justice League Snyder Cut (Spoilers!)

Acgott

Starts off pretty slow. It picks up each part until the end where it has a significantly better finale. Awesome teases at the end too. CGI was pretty bad, and there were a few things they removed I didn't like ("save one") but overall this was vastly superior and a 4 hour movie that I was easily able to sit through without any breaks. I'd absolutely watch a sequel.

3 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

Anyone else think Darkseid design could've been better. Also I didn't expect Flash to have the best scene imo. He's truly the most powerful member.

I thought Darkseid looked awesome.    Not saying he couldnt have been done better, but I thought he looked great, especially at the end.

Flash ceiling might be the most powerful, but he is also the most dangerous, because he doesnt have total control of his most powerful abilities and can basically unravel the multiverse and destroy all of existence if he isnt careful.

• Like 1

Just finished it, and.....wow.

Anyone who knows me knows I am a HUGE DC fan and have been absolutely disgusted with how WB has handled the DCEU.     By and large, the characters have been done decently (outside of a couple), but the writings and stories around them have been straight dookie.        And IMO, the absolute WORST was the Whedeon cut of Justice League, which was a mess from start to finish.    I dont know if it was necessarily the worst DCEU film (Suicide Squad, Birds of Prey and Wonder Woman 1984 all have an argument), but Justice League by far had the most hype, and failed the hardest based on expectations.    

For years, since fans have been begging for the Snyder version, which I didnt think we would ever see....Ive maintained that the Snyder version would just be a more brooding and foul-mouthed version of essentially the same movie with just slight difference.  

I was wrong.    Very wrong.

Now, Im not saying this was perfect or even great, but I found it to be a REMARKABLE upgrade from the Whedon, to the point that I am actually even angrier that WB was dumb enough to go with Whedon's vision over this in the first place.      It just continues to show how utterly incompetent the people running the show are.    I wanted the 2.5 hour Whedon cut to end as soon as possible.    It just felt pieced together and nothing made sense, and after I watched it, I never wanted to watch it again.   I did watch pieces....but never in full.  

The 4 hour Snyder cut kept me engaged the entire way through, to the point where I didnt want it to end.        I was really excited to see what was coming next once I realized that essentially 3/4's of the movie was largely unseen footage outside of early trailers.    

Without further ado....let me get into this...

Things I liked...

1)    The characters were ALL....SOOOOOO much more likable.

In the Whedon cut....I didnt like any of the characters....even the already established ones.    Batman felt goofy and useless.     Flash/Barry was horribly annoying more than anything.      Superman just kind of felt stapled on at the end.     Cyborg was completely pointless to the story.  Aquaman acted like a gym bro/surfer.   Wonder Woman was the only one I wasnt completely annoyed by, because she was written pretty close to what she was supposed to be.   Still, an overall sh*tshow.

In the Snyder cut, every character is much much MUCH more fleshed out and closer to what they are supposed to be.     The canned the light heartedness and forced humor that didnt really fit.     Batman was back to being badass and much more useful to the team.     Wonder Woman was much more badass.     Aquaman acted more serious and the "bro" stuff was limited....MUCH better.     Flash/Barry still annoyed me, but overall I liked the character much more and was integral to their success.    Superman's death and return were so much more significant in this movie.   Its still a crime they wasted the Death of Superman this early....but the Snyder cut at least made it feel like his death was really felt.   

BY FAR....the biggest improvement was Cyborg.   I can see why Ray Fisher was mad.     His character had zero development in the Whedon cut, and felt completely pointless.     In the Snyder cut, much of the movie REVOLVES around Cyborg.   He is developed much better.   His characters feels somewhat human with real emotions, whereas in the Whedon cut, he was just an emotionless robot no one really cared about.    I really liked Ray Fisher and the Cyborg character in this.

2)    The writing and tone were so much better and flowed much better

Not much more to add here.    The Whedon fixes didnt fit at all.   Despite my issues with Snyder, he understands the characters much better than Whedon did.    Whedon tries to force terrible humor and light hearted stuff into places they didnt fit.     There were still some moments of levity....but they felt more natural for the most part.    

3)    Steppenwolf was LIGHT YEARS better of a villain in the Snyder cut

The villains IMO have been done fairly poorly in the DCEU....which is pathetic since the DCEU has an amazing rogues gallery.    Lex Luthor, Joker, Ares, Doomsday and Steppenwolf were all butchered.....but this made Steppenwolf a much more convincing villain.    His reasoning for wanting the motherboxes actually made sense, and his desperation for Darkseid's approval felt very legit.     

4) The action was extremely entertaining

The first scene with Diana was night and day better.   Her tossing those guys around like rag dolls was extremely satisfying.      I was happy they actually had those terrorists killing people and Diana reacted accordingly to them.     All the action after that was done much better as well.     I cant believe they cut out certain parts.

5) The fan service...

This was for the fans.   The ACTUAL DC fans.     No woke garbage.   No fluff.  No trying to make the characters what they arent.     The characters were all done justice (pun intended).        Beyond that, there were so many other awesome things and Easter Eggs for hardcore fans.

Things I (still) didnt like...

1)    The effects were still rough....some REALLY bad...

I do think it looked better than the Whedon version, but only because they got rid of some of the silly colors.     Still, some of the effects were bad, and at times, unnecessary like....why couldnt they just use real sets or environments for certain scenes?      The fight at the beginning where the Amazons were trying to keep the motherbox away from Steppenwolf was particularly bad.    Some of the horse riding looked so bad......like they had to use even lesser effects there due to budget reasons.   Wouldve been better if they just werent included.

2)    The dialogue and/or line delivery at points was laughable

They have horrible writers that work from most of these DC movies....even dating back to David Goyer in the The Dark Knight trilogy.    Dont get me wrong...the dialogue WAS better in the Snyder cut, but still a weakness.     Its hard to say whether its just the writers are idiots or if they just write the dialogue assuming the audience is stupid.    Either way, too much of the dialogue just didnt feel natural or just sounded corny.    Some was just poor line delivery....or maybe things I just dont think the characters would say.

3)    Weak casting choices still plague the movie

Sorry, but I am not a fan of Ezra Miller.   Yes, I liked him much more in this movie without forcing him to be funnier than he actually is, and his characters as a whole was much better, but I still feel like he was completely miscast in this role.   He feels closer to Wally West than Barry Allen, and I simply dont think he is more than an average at best actor.   I dont know if he can carry his own movie.      Lex and Joker only had small parts, but I still didnt like them.     Eisenberg as Lex just feels embarrassing to me.     He doesnt have the gravitas that Lex NEEDS.    He wouldve been a much better classic version of Riddler.      Leto as Joker was still not good IMO.   Looked better IMO, but his laugh sucks IMO and I just didnt see anything other than Leto in makeup.   Leto is a good actor, but I just dont like him as Joker.   There might be a version of Joker he could pull off, but certainly not one Ive seen yet.

Ill stop there, because Im pretty tired.    

Overall, much MUCH better movie and yes....I would like to see where this version could take things, and hopefully we get it if this is a success.

Justice League (Whedon Cut):  3/10....maybe 2.

Justice League (Snyder Cut):  7/10....maybe 7.5

Edited by 43M
  • Like 4

Like most of have said it’s a significant upgrade of the whedon cut, but still has its issues. Pacing in the beginning was all over the place.  Just a shame for a team up movie half of it had to go to introducing some of the characters.

not a bad movie but not great either 

Edited by Fresh Prince

10 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

Anyone else think Darkseid design could've been better. Also I didn't expect Flash to have the best scene imo. He's truly the most powerful member.

The CGI across the board was so laughably bad. They need to just go back to makeup and costumes if this is what the cgi looks like

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Oh, and the Martian Manhunter design is worse than any other CGI product in the entire movie. They absolutely dropped the ball with that one. Who tf could root for MM looking like that. 

Yeah it was CW level bad especially that last scene with Bruce Wayne lol.

My main problem with the DC universe, is that they seemed to try and cram as much into a movie as possible in a rush to catch up with the expansive story line Marvel was doing, rather than start slow and build. Doomsday should have been at least a 2 movie story arch with various heroes being slain etc, not just crammed into the last 20 minutes of Batman v. Superman. Build to him like the original Death or Superman series that spanned multiple comics.  

As to the Snyder cut, I loved it, they did some character and story development let movie breath a little, had it been Marvel it would have been done over several movies with each serving as a commercial for the next movie. DC was late to the party and rushed to catch up, the movies felt forced, crammed together. Origin stories being released after the culmination as opposed to setting the stage for it. 

Steppenwolf was a much better villain, in both appearance and presentation, and including Darkseid was absolutely a no brainer. 

It wasn't perfect but it wasn't a complete disaster. The fact that I actually would like to see more with this cast and story line, in my mind, means they accomplished their goal. Unfortunate that they already ran this Titanic into the iceberg.

Unpopular to some but for me Afleck was perfect as an older, brooding Batman. 

• Like 1