Justice League Snyder Cut (Spoilers!)

Acgott

Thoughts as I watch:

• I was a little confused in the beginning. I probably should have watched BvS again but it was terrible.
  • A lot of this character development should be in separate movies.
  • Not a big fan of Kiersey Clemons as Iris, but maybe she'd grow on me in a Flash movie.
  • Maybe I just don't know enough about Steppenwolf, but he's way OP. Able to jump stupid far, can fight and breathe underwater, strength, indestructible, etc. It's hard to believe that there's someone more powerful controlling him, especially after we saw Darkseid lose so easily in the flashback.
  • Wonder Woman is a bit inconsistent. She was moving incredibly fast to block bullets in the bank scene. But moves much slower at other times.
  • Atlanteans can create a large air pocket in the middle of the ocean, but struggle to hold back water entering tunnels?
  • Side note, I think the voice used for Steppenwolf would have been great for Apocalypse in the X-Men movie.
  • WTF is anti-life and why is it randomly thrown in mid-movie?
  • Firstly, FANTASTIC Martian Manhunter surprise. Didn't expect that. But why does he care if Lois gets back to writing? And the cameo was pretty pointless without a DCU.
  • Flash to Cyborg: "You know we could do this in a nanosecond, right?" "We could"... So why not do it?
  • This movie needs more. What can we throw in? Oh I know! Lois is pregnant!
  • So Cyborg has an auto-defense that apparently only works when Superman is around but no other threats?
  • The fight against Superman was a lot better than I remember. Although I feel like it could have been avoided in someone simply said "Martha".
  • They show Steppenwolf's flaming axe easily cut through metal to get into a room, but it doesn't even scratch Cyborg when knocking him across the room? I guess DC has their own version of vibranium that was never introduced?
  • Willem Dafoe was really miscast as an Antlantean imo.
  • Not sure why Superman would choose the black suit when he's trying to inspire and do good. Would have made more sense if his old suit wasn't right behind him.
  • Aside from appearance, what difference is there really between Aquaman, WW, and Cyborg? They all have similar strengths and weaknesses with minor differences. I mean, the guys name is Aquaman. Maybe don't make him as powerful as everyone else on land or when flying through the air. There was even a time or two when he appeared to move as quickly as The Flash.
  • Jesse Eisenberg still sucks as Luther. And how did he find out Batman's identity?
  • What was the point of the nightmare in the Epilogue? Just to show the Joker? Leto didn't do any better. I was wrong about him. His makeup was a terrible artistic choice as well imo.
  • Martian Manhunter at the end introducing himself to Bruce was good. Although I don't know why Bruce thought it'd be peaceful when his latest experience with aliens, excluding Kal, was nothing but violence.

Overall this was FAR better than what was put out previously. It still had its flaws. Although, I truly do not believe that this is the product that Snyder would have put out back in 2017. I hope this is the end of a Snyderverse and DC gets a fresh start. I know the latter won't happen though.

52 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I hope this is the end of a Snyderverse and DC gets a fresh start. I know the latter won't happen though.

Bro if anything them putting this out basically confirms that they're not only doing Matt Reeves stuff, and the tertiary DCEU stuff still on the docket (Aquaman 2, Shazam 2), and the Keaton stuff, but they have to do more Snyderverse stuff now, like you don't make this, let this dude finish it, give him $100M more to do it, and greenlight it all only to not do it. Which I hope they do, screw it, have 3 different continuities running with the same characters at the same time. Who cares, it'll at least be  an interesting experiment/trainwreck.

Really wasn't expecting to say this. I loved it. First half was a little slow but the second half was awesome and the story as a whole was really good.

This just makes me want Batfleck even more though. He's like my perfect Batman. I also loved how they actually explained Cyborg's backstory and powers. It made his character a lot more interesting. Jared Leto still sucked in his small part, but at least it was better than the tatted up version in SS.

I'm not sure how WB could choose to go away from the Snyderverse at this point, but they've done everything wrong to this point so it'll probably happen. 

12 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

BTW, I guess Darkseid just forgot about Earth for 5K years. Yeah he's conquered thousands of planets, but Earth was the only place he was defeated. And he already knew the anti-life equation was there, but the way it plays out is that Steppenwolf "discovers" it's presence on Earth. Darkseid acts like he's never been there before. Seems like a big plot hole. 

This is literally my only gripe. Someone, none of my other friends picked up on it, but now they all agree that it doesn't make sense. He already knew Earth was the one that fought back because he lived it. The only defense is maybe that because WW wasn't there, it didn't actually go down like that, but I would've expected them to explain it a little. 

I enjoyed it cause I love superheroes movies, but I can’t get over how they did pre darkseid dirty like that. I’m watching infinity war now, and Thanos first big appearance is destroying the hulk.

For the rest of the movie, I’m all in favor of restoring the Snyderverse, with adjustments. I just want Aquaman as Khal Drogo. Is that bad?

And I want that knightmare scene into a movie. I love that quirky teamup

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Acgott said:

I enjoyed it cause I love superheroes movies, but I can’t get over how they did pre darkseid dirty like that. I’m watching infinity war now, and Thanos first big appearance is destroying the hulk.

For the rest of the movie, I’m all in favor of restoring the Snyderverse, with adjustments. I just want Aquaman as Khal Drogo. Is that bad?

And I want that knightmare scene into a movie. I love that quirky teamup

Again, I think that first Darkseid fight was before he was extrmely powerful.

While I dont have much to go on and this is pure speculation, it seemed like he wasnt even quite as powerful as Steppenwolf in the early scenes,....plus he was taking on essentially a bunch of mythical gods....like Zeus, Ares (when he was good), Green Lanterns, etc....

Perhaps you could argue they nerfed him a bit, but I think they did it for a reason.    Like, that was him in his early quest for infinite power.

In the quick "nightmare" scene, he is winning vs the Justice League with ease.

22 minutes ago, 43M said:

Again, I think that first Darkseid fight was before he was extrmely powerful.

While I dont have much to go on and this is pure speculation, it seemed like he wasnt even quite as powerful as Steppenwolf in the early scenes,....plus he was taking on essentially a bunch of mythical gods....like Zeus, Ares (when he was good), Green Lanterns, etc....

Perhaps you could argue they nerfed him a bit, but I think they did it for a reason.    Like, that was him in his early quest for infinite power.

In the quick "nightmare" scene, he is winning vs the Justice League with ease.

Oh I agree he wasn’t powered at all. Still a poor decision to give him a beat down 

9 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Oh I agree he wasn’t powered at all. Still a poor decision to give him a beat down 

Yeah, it could have been done better. Like show Zeus, Ares, and the GL all fighting him for a couple minutes and then eventually, after he's able to kill the GL, he gets hit by a godly double whammy. It was way too quick.

And yeah, Snyder said that was Uxas before the movie released, so pre-Omega Force. Movie made no mention of that though, so the lack of clarification was frustrating.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Yeah, it could have been done better. Like show Zeus, Ares, and the GL all fighting him for a couple minutes and then eventually, after he's able to kill the GL, he gets hit by a godly double whammy. It was way too quick.

And yeah, Snyder said that was Uxas before the movie released, so pre-Omega Force. Movie made no mention of that though, so the lack of clarification was frustrating.

Yeah, I figured it was Uxas but they should've said that in the movie.

4 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Yeah, I figured it was Uxas but they should've said that in the movie.

Even with 4 hours, you cant get around the fact that they crammed too much in and rushed things that shouldnt have been.

Darkseid shouldve had a build up over several movies, much like Thanos.

• Like 1

can't believe I actually enjoyed this. I'd put this right up there with the other team-up films from the MCU. Cyborg was a star in this, did not think I'd ever care for him when watching trailers for theatrical cut lol I want a knightmare  3 HR move or miniseries on HBO MAX. Make it trashy rated R with flaws and all. I want a really torn down Batman in a apocalyptic world on my screen. I want more Batfleck!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 43M said:

Even with 4 hours, you cant get around the fact that they crammed too much in and rushed things that shouldnt have been.

Darkseid shouldve had a build up over several movies, much like Thanos.

I think you could introduce Darkseid in Justice League and make it work. However, they needed at least one more solo movie to come out first. Also, they needed to explain the Uxas/Darkseid difference.

18 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Thoughts as I watch:

• A lot of this character development should be in separate movies.

This was a huge issue.     Even with the extended run time, they still had to rush it.

As I said, the Wonder Woman and Aquaman movies shouldve easily came out first.    A Flash movie wouldve been preferred too.

As I said, I wouldve saved Darkseid, and since the motherboxes wouldve have been part of the story, I think they couldve done without Cyborg for the first JL movie.    Its too bad Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern was done so poorly, because the first incarnation of the Justice League couldve been Batman, Superman, WW, Aquaman, Flash and Green Lantern.

• Not a big fan of Kiersey Clemons as Iris, but maybe she'd grow on me in a Flash movie.

Dont know much about her, but I dont like her look for Iris West.   Still, cant say much since we got so little.

I am more concerned with Ezra Miller.

• Maybe I just don't know enough about Steppenwolf, but he's way OP. Able to jump stupid far, can fight and breathe underwater, strength, indestructible, etc. It's hard to believe that there's someone more powerful controlling him, especially after we saw Darkseid lose so easily in the flashback.

I mean, by Earthly standards, sure...he is extremely powerful.   However, Superman beat him down with ease.   But this leads into your next point..

• Wonder Woman is a bit inconsistent. She was moving incredibly fast to block bullets in the bank scene. But moves much slower at other times.

She shouldnt be much further behind Superman, yet Steppenwolf handled her much easier.

She seemed nerfed at times.

• WTF is anti-life and why is it randomly thrown in mid-movie?

The Anti Life equation is a HUGE part of the Darkseid mythos, and what he has been in search of.

It would essentially make him the God of all existence.

• Firstly, FANTASTIC Martian Manhunter surprise. Didn't expect that. But why does he care if Lois gets back to writing? And the cameo was pretty pointless without a DCU.

It felt forced in there.

I think they shouldve just had him show up at the end to talk to Bruce....or make some sort of post credit scene.

• So Cyborg has an auto-defense that apparently only works when Superman is around but no other threats?

I think if he reacts on his own to other dangers, that doesnt kick in.

I didnt really have a problem with that, per se, but that entire sequence after Kal El was revived couldve been done better IMO.

• They show Steppenwolf's flaming axe easily cut through metal to get into a room, but it doesn't even scratch Cyborg when knocking him across the room? I guess DC has their own version of vibranium that was never introduced?

Cyborg is constructed by the mother box from alien tech.       Its not indestructible, but its stronger than Earth metals.

In the Whedon cut, Steppenwolf rips off his leg and nearly cuts off his arm.    I guess thats ONE thing the Whedon cut did better....

• Willem Dafoe was really miscast as an Antlantean imo.

I liked him in Aquaman.

• Not sure why Superman would choose the black suit when he's trying to inspire and do good. Would have made more sense if his old suit wasn't right behind him.

I think if the black suit served more a purpose than just being a different colored version of the normal suit, it would make more sense.

I was thinking the black suit couldve been a suit Batman designed for Superman to absorb the yellow suns energy much faster and help him get back to full power after resurrected.

I just hope that they dont keep him in the black suit if they make another movie.     At the end, when Clark is tearing off his business suit to be Superman, he is still wearing the black suit.

• Aside from appearance, what difference is there really between Aquaman, WW, and Cyborg? They all have similar strengths and weaknesses with minor differences. I mean, the guys name is Aquaman. Maybe don't make him as powerful as everyone else on land or when flying through the air. There was even a time or two when he appeared to move as quickly as The Flash.

Aquaman isnt nearly as powerful on land, but he still has superhuman abilities.

Cyborg can bend tech to his will.  I thought there was a clear difference between him and the others....in the Snyder cut.

WW shouldve be fairly similar to Superman, if anything....just without the heat vision, Xray vision and ice breath.     

• Jesse Eisenberg still sucks as Luther. And how did he find out Batman's identity?

Absolutely.

I have no problem with him figuring out Batman's identity....but I dont like that it was just tossed in.

Again, something that shouldve happened several movies later.

• What was the point of the nightmare in the Epilogue? Just to show the Joker? Leto didn't do any better. I was wrong about him. His makeup was a terrible artistic choice as well imo.

I didnt think it was entirely necessary.     All it did was potentially spoil certainly things, like who died in that alternate timeline.

Leto was awful.      He looked slightly better, but only because he didnt have the laughably bad tattoos.       His laugh and voice just dont fit IMO.  

I wonder if Snyder had anything to do with Leto getting the role in Suicide Squad, or if he was just forced to use Leto due to his casting.

If its the latter, I think Snyder shouldve just recast the Joker for that scene.

• Martian Manhunter at the end introducing himself to Bruce was good. Although I don't know why Bruce thought it'd be peaceful when his latest experience with aliens, excluding Kal, was nothing but violence.

Well, it wouldnt have benefited him to attack him unprovoked.   

Good write up!   I agree with most of it.

29 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I think you could introduce Darkseid in Justice League and make it work. However, they needed at least one more solo movie to come out first. Also, they needed to explain the Uxas/Darkseid difference.

I just feel like Darkseid isnt the villain you start off with.    I mean....he wasnt....but I just feel like there are so many other enemies they couldve used and saved Darkseid and his team for the "Infinity Wars/Endgame" of the DCEU.

I hate how people say (not you) "the DCEU doesnt have to copy what Marvel did"....but its not "copying" to do something the way it should be done.

People act like Marvel did something unique or original, when they didnt.    They simply did everything WELL.   They were true to the source material, they built the characters up right, the progressed the story naturally throughout each movie and came to a satisfying climax.

Imagine if the MCU had been built like the DCEU...

1. Iron Man (Man of Steel)
2. Captain America: Civil War (BvS)
3. Guardians of the Galaxy (Suicide Squad)
4.  Thor (Wonder Woman)
5. Avengers (Justice League)
6.  Aquaman (Hulk)
7.  Shazam (Captain Marvel)
8.  Thor Ragnarok (WW84)

Now, the MCU still wouldve been better if only because they made better movies, but it the MCU would still be a mess and many wouldnt know what the hell was going on.